cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

converter bad

coljhoss
Explorer
Explorer
1995 bounder class a.the only thing that works is 12 volt lights.plugged into shore power.the converter is behind fuse box.i believe it is bad. can i bypass converter by running hot wire that goes into back of converter strait to main fuse.i believe generator battery and 120 go into converter and 1 wire comes out front of converter to main fuse 30 amp.i realize i wont be able to use generater, but will this work untill i can get new converter.thanks jess
6 REPLIES 6

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You said: THe only thing that works is the 12 volt lights when plugged into shore power.

Well.. Though there are exceptions.. One I know for sure is the Magnetek 6300, On most RVs this would indicate the converter *IS* working.

On the 6300 however there is a relay and perhaps a fuse that is NOT working.

On most all RV's there is a fuse or circuit breaker in the battery lead, either near the battery, the Battery control center, or the converter,, This too may have either Operated (Fuses, operated = blown) or malfunctioned (Breakers).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

TinyoneRV
Explorer
Explorer
If you have 12volt power when plugged into shore power then your converter is working. It is, after all, the device that converts your shore power to 12volts. Possible problems are the battery charger portion of the converter being bad, the batteries being bad, or a bad connection between the batteries and the converter.

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hi,

It could also be that the reverse polarity fuses have blown.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Need more info. Is your problem limited to DC (lights and other stuff operating off of batteries) or does it include microwave and other stuff that operates off of AC?

Assuming the problem is DC only and the lights etc only work when your connected to shore power there are two likely problems 1) dead coach battery or 2) defective auto reset circuit breaker or battery fuse (usually located near battery). Depending on how your rig is wires I suppose it's also possible that your battery disconnect switch needs toggling or needs replacing.
Kevin

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
If the 12V lights work only when plugged into shore power your converter is working. To me it sounds like you have a dead battery.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Jess,

Your converter produces the battery charging that charges your battery when you are plugged in.

If the lights get brighter when you have the engine shut off, and you plug in to shore power your converter is working.

If the lights get brighter when you run the engine, then the 12 volt power from the alternator is working.

If the lights get brighter when the generator runs, the generator produces 120 volt power that then is sent to the converter, and that proves the converter is working, and the generator.

I hope this helps.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel