cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost if Class A diesel pusher inspection

tvfrfireman
Explorer
Explorer
We are finally looking for a late model diesel pusher motorhome. We want an inspection to make sure we aren't buying a coach with lots of issues. We want the engine oil, generator oil, and transmission fluid analyzed. What should we expect to pay for a thorough inspection. Thanks fo r any words of wisdom. Kind regards...David
7 REPLIES 7

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:
My friend had 28000 miles on his 40 ft tiffin and the cost to get it home and repaired was $47000.00. 4 different tows but mayor engine work plus other issues. Looked new also needed new injectors and a new radiator from the repair but not included. Shop paid the cost. wish you the best result.

chevman

Meanwhile, the other 999,999 are on the road trouble free. :R

As far as an inspection, call your local truck shop and see what they have to offer.

That would be nice but no one I know has been that lucky. Chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Since no one directly answered your question, a competent inspection will run in the $600 to $800 price range. Fluid analysis will run another $100 to $200 depending on what all you want analyzed. In depth engine analysis will run and additional $300 to $500, again depending how extensive you want to go.

Bruce_Brown
larry barnhart wrote:
My friend had 28000 miles on his 40 ft tiffin and the cost to get it home and repaired was $47000.00. 4 different tows but mayor engine work plus other issues. Looked new also needed new injectors and a new radiator from the repair but not included. Shop paid the cost. wish you the best result.

chevman

Meanwhile, the other 999,999 are on the road trouble free. :R

As far as an inspection, call your local truck shop and see what they have to offer.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Probably need two inspections:
- Mechanic to look over the drivetrain and generator.
- RV tech to look over the RV aspects.

They are a different set of skills. Probably looking at 2-3hrs for each to do a detailed review.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Figure the going shop rate of $130 per hour. It would have to go to one shop to have the running gear items you mentioned to be checked and then to a second RV shop to check for things like roof condition, water leaks, awning conditions, window leaks, leveling hydraulics, tires etc. Check the air conditioners and thermostats for correct operation. Get the refrigerator checked to make sure it cools properly. Get the generator checked and have the its power output checked. Make sure the engine alternator is properly charging the house batteries. This will probably run you four hours at the mechanical shop and six hours at the RV shop. With all of the taxes and shop supplies used it will be around $1,600. This cost does not include any work that needs to be done.

If you really want to be a diligent owner, after you buy it you should do all of the following so you start off with a clean slate:

Changes oils in the engine, transmission, leveling hydraulics, rear end and front wheel hubs.
Change all of the filters in the above components.
Change the both fuel filters and carry two spares.
Change the fan and alternator belts and carry a set for spares.
Change the antifreeze and filter. Old or the wrong antifreeze will eventually ruin your engine.
Do all of the above for your generator also and carry spare filters.
Get slide seals lubricated

When I got mine, I changed out both the house and chassis batteries so I knew everything was good.

There's a lot more, but this will get you started.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Before paying for an inspection I’d ask to review the chassis maintenance records. No records, move on.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110