cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dodge 4x4 RV

brougham78
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys! long time lurker, first time poster. I am about to take ownership of my first rig!

It is a 1980 Brougham RV that is built on a 1978 dodge 1 ton chassis with a big block 440.
PO has out a lot into the drivetrain and mechanics of the car and left the cosmetics untouched. He has replaced: Radiator and hoses, batteries, tires, exhaust, distributor, alternator, a few suspension components, custom welded bumpers. There is more that I can not remember right now possibly due to excitement... The PO was converting it to a mobile office for his company (oil field I think) and only wanted what he had put into it so I got a deal!

I have searched the depths of the internet and have not found any other Brougham models or even dodge chassis rv models that are 4x4 from the factory so that makes this rig pretty unique but hard to source insights/tips/tricks. Im assuming that since its built on a dodge that parts wont be too difficult.

17 REPLIES 17

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Advanced is still in business, so I would start by contacting them. They may still have drawings or conversion information for that model that will help you locate the correct front end parts.

http://advanced4x4vans.com/

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

chinook440
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a nice solid start . I like that front bumper !

The F44 / F40 = an mb400 chassis

unfortunately None of the factory front suspension parts are gonna fit though. These dodges originally had independant front suspensions with coil springs and upper and lower control arms etc. and usually ride and handle very well as long as everything is in decent shape.

You now have a solid front axle with leaf springs so it,s completely different. Start with the basics , see if any parts are loose etc. and Sign up on some of the 4x4 forums and ask about conversion handling issues etc

brougham78
Explorer
Explorer

The inside is not much to look at right now but the most important thing is no water damage or leaking evident and just a little surface rust on the frame. The windows will need to be resealed as the previous owner was in the middle of that project and they are just held in place right now.

brougham78
Explorer
Explorer

brougham78
Explorer
Explorer

here is the transfer case.

brougham78
Explorer
Explorer

Here is the front axle. Looks kinda like a dana 60?

brougham78
Explorer
Explorer

brougham78
Explorer
Explorer

brougham78
Explorer
Explorer
Alright we made it back to texas!

It was a two-day trip averaging about 4-5 hours on the road each day and the engine ran like a top. I think the fact that a 35+ year old vehicle making it 500 miles without a hiccup is amazing! let alone buying it off craigslist and it making the journey.

I got some more details about the rigs history. I am the 4th owner and turns out there is several stacks of folders with tons of reciepts of whats been replaced/fixed spanning back to the orginal purchase in 1981. I am still digging through it. But the Odometer reads 38,000 miles and it sounds legit after reading some of the service records that state mileage history (only 27k on a service reciept from 2003) I think this is a diamond in the rough.

The transmission was rebuilt/replaced in 2007
new transfer case installed with it.
The 4x4 installation was done by advanced four wheel drive systems in salt lake city utah in fall of 1990 according to a stamp in the door well.

I can not find the chassis model info anywhere. The VIN matches only with the RV manufacturer. I am trying to figure out whether it is a M300, m400, MB400 ect Because I will need to be sorting out the front suspension first.

The steering/suspension has a bad death wobble if you are going 20mph and hit a pothole, but if you are going faster than that no wobbles. Im figuring it could be some worn out bushings? The steering has a lot of play in it so perhaps that could be part of the slop in the system.

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
Take good pics of the front axle and transfer case so we can help identify them.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

brougham78
Explorer
Explorer
I am picking it up next weekend and it was too dark in the barn to get any other good pictures, but once shes home I will take plenty!

And once its home I can delve deeper into finding out what kind of conversion it was. That is good to know that b300 will work for some of its parts.

I think most of the body is fiberglass mounted onto a steel frame. 30+ year old fiberglass is going to need some work on it as I noticed a few cracks and crazing. I have built fiberglass speaker boxes in the past so I am not too intimidated by this task but any insight or recommendations would helpful. I am thinking of ordering the supplies now so I can get this sealed up and waterproofed ASAP as I dont have the luxury of keeping it in a barn!

chinook440
Explorer
Explorer
I don,t know what parts were used on the 4 x 4 conversion but All the factory dodge chassis and drivetrain parts are readily availible.

Most parts places will have a listing for either a cb300 or mb300 chassis but some may only have a listing for a b300.

You might have a mb400 chassis but most parts places don,t have a listing for that model , but MOST parts are the same as the 300 series.

Those style of Broughams are COOL. PLEASE post more pictures. Do you know what kind of front axle is in it?

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
Quad Van, Quigley and Marmon-Herrington are 3 companies I can think of that have been doing 4x4 conversions on vans and commercial trucks for many years. Marmon-Herrrington has been doing them since the 1950's, or earlier.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

mowingman
Explorer
Explorer
That will not be a factory built 4x4 truck chassis. It was sent to some 4x4 specialty shop for the 4x4 conversion. There were several companies back in those days that did 4x4 conversions on various van chassis. The two most common conversions are on Dodge and Chevy van chassis. It is very rare to find a Ford converted like this.
Dodge did build a factory 4x4 W300, one ton truck back then. However, those have a completely different chassis/frame under them.
That is one neat RV. I would love to have one and you are very lucky to have latched onto it. Congratulations on a great find.