cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Downsizing from a A to a C

proxima
Explorer
Explorer
I have been heavily considering to downsize from my Class A to a Class C, or possibly a B+. My supervisor suggested that I should sell both my RV and Jeep and go with a B+. (Might consider it also)

After I got this RV,the first thing that I noticed is that it was too big for me living by myself, but it is a great RV (Damon Challenger) I've always opted for something smaller, and I am considering making the change.

For some of you guys that made the downgrade, was the transition difficult? Did some of you stick with newer models, or did you go with older models?
12 REPLIES 12

proxima
Explorer
Explorer
Again thanks for the replies! I am still looking for a decent C under 15k, I would go more but I do want to eliminate as much debt as possible since I do owe some payments on my current rig, but not too much. I want to stay under 30' but I want to try to avoid going smaller than 24-23'. The only exception I will have to that role is if I can find myself a B Touring Cruiser (I like the way they are built).

I am still researching and looking, I have found a few that I like and even checked it out, the only downside is that they are built in the mid 90's (I am fine with that, as long as they function and not too difficult to work on) The only problem I see with that is that some RV parks don't like older RV's. As long as I am comfortable I can live with it.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I'd keep the Jeep as a toad. Best thing out there.

I'd also go with a "C" over a "B+" since the overhead loft adds significant space for storage.

Plus, with a "C" + toad, you always can leave the motorhome at camp and go do stuff in an urban area.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
If you have or are at the age where you start having knee problems, you will be better off with around a 27 foot class C with rear bedroom and RV queen bed. Climbing down and back up a ladder in the middle of the night will wake you up more than simply getting out of bed and going to the john. The overhead bed is good for storage and/or entertainment center. A 27 footer will have more rear cargo and cabinet storage areas than a 21-24 foot floor plan. Sleeping on a jackknife couch or convertible dinette cushions gets old quickly. A 27 footer can usually be parked reasonably near restaurants, tourist attractions and malls. You probably don't "need" slides. Equipping for boondocking and cold weather comfort are more complex matters.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just so you're aware, practically all of what are advertised as class B+ units are really small class C motorhomes that happen to not have an overcab bunk. They are not built within a van body as is a class B, but are living quarters bolted (or rather welded) onto a cutaway chassis. That means they handle and are maintained and are as readily (or not) parked as a similar sized class C motorhome that is marketed as such.

That's not to suggest that it really matters much what the marketers call the unit that fits your needs, of course; just don't imagine that a so-called class B+ has very much at all to do with a class B. (I think maybe I'll start calling my class C a "Class A-," now that I think of it. That way maybe I could get into those class-A only RV resorts, assuming I cared to do so....)

mbauman
Explorer
Explorer
Snowman9000 wrote:
We are considering the opposite move, haha. We do drive a lot, so it's great to have a small MH and no toad. But also we are beginning to sit in one place a lot. That points us towards a bigger rig with toad. To your question...

We had a 23' B+ with no permanent bed. Sleeping on uncomfy furniture got old quick. Now we have a 25' C with a queen bed and the overhead bed. Neither one had/has a slide. If I was by myself, I would get a C with only the overhead bed. Meaning the rest of the floorplan is devoted to living, not sleeping.

Like this

Or this

Snowman, this is why we're considering a Sunseeker 3010DS with the recliner option along with the dream dinette. Plenty of room to sit; TV directly across from the recliners, and the smaller dinette is perfect for my wife to set up her sewing machine. Was thinking of going smaller, but we plan on full timing for a few years. We may also pull a smart car on a small aluminum trailer for sightseeing, etc. Mark...

proxima
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the replies. I was talking to my supervisor and he suggested that I should also opt for a B+. I might stick with a class C for now. I am currently in a 34' 2002 Damon Challenger, and I currently live in it. I have been for a short time, my toad is a 2001 Jeep Wrangler. I may go with a older RV, but the thing I am mostly looking for is the floor plan. I know the Floor plan can make or break your experience, and at the time when I bought this, I did not consider the floor plan. Overall the experience is good, but when I was first looking for a RV, I originally wanted a Class C and found a couple I wanted, but I was pressured into purchasing this rig. It is great and all, but it is too big for me.

Most of my time is spent in RV parks and I am currently in Tennessee about to make the trek over to Utah for a bit and hopefully move onto Washington or Oregon.

I also did not consider the rental option, and I might look into that. I was even looking at some older Class C's with floor plans that I like. My goal is to do this with as little to no debt if possible since I am working.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I downsized from a Class A to A Class C and I found a few things that were different that I liked.

The Class A suited my needs at the time but had some drawbacks.

The handling of the Class A was terrible,it was the most evil thing that I had ever driven,the Class C is a piece of cake to drive.

I liked the large windshield but it really got hot up there at times,it seemed hard to heat or cool with that much glass even with shades.

The Class C has a smaller windshield and the cab-over does help in that regard.

It had limited storage,but most of the time I towed a trailer with my toys and any other things needed.

The Class C I have now has a LOT of storage space. I like having a cab with doors. Mine is built on a Chevy Chassis. It has a much larger cockpit than the Fords,it is much easier to get into or out of when needed such as when fueling or just get out and stretch your legs.

The Class C costs a lot less to maintain as far as parts,tires and all the other things that seem to crop up.

It is easier to park if I want to go shopping or visit places,it is more nimble and gets MUCH better fuel mileage.

I opted to go with a older model to get what I wanted and it was a Former Rental.

All in all I am happy with the transition to a Class C, it suites my needs now and I think in the future too.

Good luck in your search for what you want and feel comfortable with.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
We are considering the opposite move, haha. We do drive a lot, so it's great to have a small MH and no toad. But also we are beginning to sit in one place a lot. That points us towards a bigger rig with toad. To your question...

We had a 23' B+ with no permanent bed. Sleeping on uncomfy furniture got old quick. Now we have a 25' C with a queen bed and the overhead bed. Neither one had/has a slide. If I was by myself, I would get a C with only the overhead bed. Meaning the rest of the floorplan is devoted to living, not sleeping.

Like this

Or this
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
I travel alone. I down sized from a 36โ€™ Damon Challenger to the 28โ€™ class C in my signature in 2014. I am very happy with the change. Everything from the A went into the C. I use the bed over the cab for storage.

The camper takes up two parking places without the toad. The steering is very responsive. The ride is smooth and there are no creaks, groans or rattles. The third time I raise a knee to get in I am standing on the floor. When I stop for gas I just open the driverโ€™s door and get out. The bathroom door swings out and locks. That makes the bathroom much larger. And the list goes onโ€ฆ

Not so cool things I live with. No leveling jacks. The step into the shower is tall. The holding tanks are about half the size of the ones on the Challenger. With my big feet getting around the dog house is a pain.

Should you decide to make the change. If it is a Ford. Make sure it has the โ€œtow/haulโ€ transmission. I think that was new in 2008 or so.

In hind sight, I wish I knew about Cruse Americaโ€™s refurbished units before I bought.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
When camping how often do you use your jeep, where do you go in it? Now how would you do that if your only transportation was the B+? Have you considered a smaller A? Some very nice 27 ft Class A's out there. Many people camp/travel without a toad, I was one of them. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would say don't rule anything out at this point. I would start by looking at floorplans and figuring out what length works best for you. Then you can figure out if an older or newer one would work best.

I didn't downsize, but I really love the layout of my clipper. It works perfect for me and I have not yet seen a newer floorplan that would be comfortable for me and the way I use the RV.

Mine is 21ft and I do not have a toad - it works for the way I use it. Depending on how you use yours, you may be able to go as big as 27ft without a toad, or you may find you need a toad even with a 24ft.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

gordonls
Explorer
Explorer
We downsized from a 41' Monaco to a 32' Four Winds 31W. It only took about 3 trips out to get accustom to the smaller size. The ease in maneuverability, the better ride, cheaper maintenance, and the ease of mind makes the adjustment easier.
2015 Thor Fourwinds 31W
2012 Buick Enclave Toad
FMCA F376075