cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

dp motor home enough power ?

big_cuda
Explorer
Explorer
just a quick question I have a 97 American eagle with a 325 horse cummins & allison tranny. I moved it of the drive way to the side yard and put some stepping stones down to park on put them right be hind the wheels & attempted to back up on them. they are only 1 1/2 thick the motor home could not back up on top of them. had to rock it back & forth to get up. does this seem impossible to do ? it was floored & would not get on top ? any thoughts as to why ? I think it should have enough power to do this? thanks
15 REPLIES 15

NeverHome2
Explorer
Explorer
I used to drive 18 wheeler and when the weight police weigh you with portable scales they put one in back of all 5 axles. they are 1.25 inches high and it is almost impossible to get the truck to climb up on them. In a big truck you have to slowly engage the the clutch while increasing RPM to almost stalling the engine to get it up on them, evem with 600 HP and 2050 ft. lbs. of torque.

In a motorhome with much less torque and an automatic transmission it may not go up. Try putting the boards about six inches behind the tires on one axle and 2 inches on the other. That will get it done.
Lovin' Life!!!!

2005 HR Endeavor

big_cuda
Explorer
Explorer
thanks to all who replied, I tried the motor home on the drive way & no problem it jumped right over the block. so no sweat there.

thanks agian

d_denver
Explorer
Explorer
I regularly back mine up over the street curb. My rig with a 300 isb will idle right over the curb in reverse.
2002 34' Holiday Rambler Pusher
2005 VW Convertible toad
2008 Dodge 4x4 "Power Wagon" toad

big_cuda
Explorer
Explorer
don't know how much boost it was pulling. I have not tried it forward yet but going to thanks

big_cuda
Explorer
Explorer
I have not changed the tranny fluid. but it was done in 10-18-12 with filters by a cummins dealer. and as very little miles since. I to thought it should climb a stepping stone that's a 1 1/2 thick but I was in the grass and trying in reverse ? any more thoughts thanks

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
how much boost were you getting?
And what will it do in first going forward?
Reverse could be power limited.
Assuming your 96 325hp is an isc... you should be pulling near 35 psi of boost...
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Seems to me like it should not have any problems climbing over 1 1/2" boards. My coach weighs 30K and I use portable ramps on the curb to get into its parking driveway, and it will climb at least six inches with no problem.

Have you changed your transmission fluid?
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

big_cuda
Explorer
Explorer
I was in reverse. have not tried it in forward ? the motor seemed to stay at a steady rpm it did not try to stall from bogging ? thanks

PUCampin
Explorer
Explorer
Is the engine output managed in 1st gear? When you say it was floored, did the engine really ramp up or did it seem bogged down? I have read of some vehicles where the computer limits the output in 1st gear to protect drive train components. This can cause problems like you experienced, or if you have a toad and are trying to pull away from a stop going up hill (remember reading a post on this situation). If the engine is being limited, it may bairly be allowed to get over the torque converter stall RPM until the vehicle is actually moving. Any extra torque requirement and a stopped vehicle won't move. You absolutly should be able to drive up a 1.5" block!
2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!):B

Me:B DW:) and the 3 in 3 :E
DD:B 2006, DS ๐Ÿ˜› 2007, DD :C 2008

big_cuda
Explorer
Explorer
were you on grass or concrete ?

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
My 31,000 lb rig with 300HP 8.3L Cummins will climb a 2x12 laid on concrete with ease. It will also crush one of those plastic chocks with ease.

Actually I use three 2x12 fastened together as a ramp for underneath access.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Don't put a block against every wheel, move a couple back just a couple inches.

big_cuda
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the reply's what I will do is try it on the drive way when I move it next time to see if it will climb the 1 1/2 block. just to see !!!!

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Mark is right, you were probably sinking slightly into the soft soil and the blocks were acting as chocks.

I'm sure your DP has enough power to climb up a cement block.