cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Driving home my point

charlessfolly
Explorer
Explorer
Just brought home our 2014 bounder 35k.:):)It has lots of power and rides quite well and can move along fairly quickly ,all things considered.
On the other side of that coin,I like to cruise when I go RVing.I'm the one you hate cause he drives at the speed limit-in an Chevy express van...so now I get to cruise in something a bit more substantial (awesome,big,road hogging,pain ,giving us all a bad name,gas guzzling,etc.).
My point is should we feel compelled to drive faster and be less fuel efficient,risk our own safety and be more of a liability on the road in a vehicle which people perceive as always a slower type of traveler?Ultimately we will not go fast enough to please many drivers no matter how quickly we go-going faster puts more people at risk whereas keeping the speed down is better for everyone in the overall...
How do you drive your rig and do you think I'm wrong?
38 REPLIES 38

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
If you are in the left hand lane....and you are not passing vehicles and MAINTAINING a speed that passes all right hand lane traffic...then just get out of the way! Your impeding the flow of traffic.

Not to say you need to do 75 mph...but you should continuously be passing right hand lane traffic
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
Most of my experience with thrown rocks and chipped windsheilds is from over taking vehicles doing a proper passing. I do try to keep up with the traffic to reduce the amount of overtaking vehicles. At 66 mph I get passed a lot less than at 55.

Pops

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I drive at whatever speed feels comfortable to me that day. Sometimes it is the speed limit and sometimes it is a little below the speed limit. I do not have any hard and fast rule that I go by when I am on the road. It all depends on how I feel that day with the conditions that I am encountering.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Roadglider09 wrote:
2 things I've learned driving an RV:

1. No one expects you to go fast.
2. People will get out of your way.

There's more than one lane on the highway - they can pass if they want to. For 2 lane roads - suck it up; i pay taxes too, and prefer to drive safe.

3.No one wants to follow you, even if it is only 1000 feet before they exit. Expect to be passed in an unsafe manner sometimes.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
The only time you'll see my motorhome over 55mph is when I'm on a downhill or there a big uphill coming up.
1999 Itasca Sunrise

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
Roadglider09 wrote:
2 things I've learned driving an RV:

1. No one expects you to go fast.
2. People will get out of your way.

There's more than one lane on the highway - they can pass if they want to. For 2 lane roads - suck it up; i pay taxes too, and prefer to drive safe.

Most excellent reply.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
We drive between 55-60 mph most of the time. I stay right and allow mergers to come in.... if they don't look, they get the air horns! I'm not there to baby-sit them, wake up and drive and get off the darn phone!

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

othertonka
Explorer
Explorer
The law in California is on a 2 lane road, if you have 5 vehicle1s behind you, you must use the next "turnout" and pullover and let them go by. I have found that if you do this, most people will thank you by tooting their horn and waving. If they give you a one finger salute, they are just showing their IQ or age. just ignore them and continue on your way. when going up a hill on 4 or more lanes, just stay in line in the slow lane unless you know you can pass in a short distance. In other words don't get out in the passing lane and stay right next to the vehicle you are trying to pass because you don't have the power to pass, that will really PO everyone.
Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

TX77705
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Most folks find it annoying to be behind something they can't see beyond. You yourself likely feel the same way when driving an ordinary car. I know I do.

When driving an RV, learn to "yield".
Always be prepared to let the guy behind you pass.
Sit back, enjoy the trip, and let the rat race go on without you!

Good advice.

RognBon
Explorer
Explorer
Our DP shifts into 6th gear at 58 mph. When it shifts, I set the cruise and that's where it stays. Since most of our driving is in California and the speed limit for any vehicle when towing is 55, this works for me. If on a two lane road I always pull over when safe to do so, to allow faster vehicles to pass.
RognBon
1997 Monaco Dynasty 40'
Cummins 8.3 325 HP
2008 Ford Edge Toad

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
God How I hate to catch up to an underpowered M/H at the bottom of a hill, specialty when I have a full head of steam, ready to top the hill at the speed limit.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
1/2 the fun is getting there. My sweet spot is 1900 RPM, that works out to 60 MPH, as long as we are aware that this is less than the flow of traffic in most situations and we stay in the slow lane, what's the problem?

" everyone going faster than me is a maniac, everyone going slower than me is an idiot " ๐Ÿ™‚
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

FreeIndeedJ836
Explorer
Explorer
I have over 2000 ft lbs of torque so it's nice to know that I can kick just about every truck or RV's butt:) However I rarely drive over 60...fuel economy goes down too much and life is better enjoyed at a slower pace.
I'm not anti-social, I just have a strong aversion to B.S., drama, and pretending:)

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
1 Drive yours, I'll drive mine.
2 I never move over for people getting on at an on-ramp if traffic is moderate to heavy, Our safety man at a trucking co, a former state trooper, said if you do and hit someone on your left, whose fault do you think it will be?
11 I drive 67 because thats where I get the best economy as I have some xtra speed on the bottom of a hill, didn't much matter on Wolf Creek in CO.
4 Every driver out there except you and I are drunk and I wonder about you and if you keep that on your mind your probability of having an accident goes way down.
5. Yoda rides on my back ladder and on Mountain roads must flip people off cuz they go by and do it to me.

Be safe, drive like HELL and you'll get THERE faster!

charlessfolly
Explorer
Explorer
I'm glad to see the concenous is toward driving safely and recognizing how much responsibility there is in driving a large vehicle.I love our new rig but I fear some other people have an opinion about what we drive and resent our presence on the road.