cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E450 Fuel Filler Hose Leak

the2sharps
Explorer
Explorer
I share the following experience as a heads up. I have a 2012 Class C motor home on a Ford E450 chassis. The fuel system developed a leak when I pumped gas into the tank. The leak was coming from the fuel filler pipe hose that runs through the frame and clamps to the gas tank. The filler hose was factory installed. I took the motor home to a shop for repairs. The mechanic replaced the 10” piece of hose that runs from the tank through the frame and joins to another section of hose about 11” long. Removing the hose clamp at the tank is difficult. The mechanic showed me the old hose he removed. The hose was in really bad shape and had many cracks. There were several long deep cracks on the top of the hose about 4” from the end that clamped to the tank. Those deep cracks were leaking gas when I pumped gas into the tank. He said this section of hose was not fuel grade hose and was actually hydraulic hose. He also said he had seen this several times before. The 11” section of hose is fuel grade hose and is fine.

Update: I filed a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Adminstration. If Ford or the coach builder is not using fuel graded hose, that’s a safety and environmental problem.
Gary and Cindy
2 Chihuahuas - Jack and Joe
2012 Fleetwood Jamboree 31M
2015 Ford Focus
6 REPLIES 6

the2sharps
Explorer
Explorer
Chum lee wrote:
the2sharps wrote:
I share the following experience as a heads up. I have a 2012 Class C motor home on a Ford E450 chassis. The fuel system developed a leak when I pumped gas into the tank. The leak was coming from the fuel filler pipe hose that runs through the frame and clamps to the gas tank. The filler hose was factory installed. I took the motor home to a shop for repairs. The mechanic replaced the 10” piece of hose that runs from the tank through the frame and joins to another section of hose about 11” long. The mechanic showed me the old hose he removed. The hose was in really bad shape and had many cracks. There were several long deep cracks on the top of the hose about 4” from the end that clamped to the tank. Those deep cracks were leaking gas when I pumped gas into the tank. The 11” section of hose is fuel grade hose and is fine.

IMO, you are right on the edge time wise. (emissions warranty) It is a MAJOR emissions issue to vent/drip unburned hydrocarbons (gasoline) in the USA environment. (in addition to a serious fire hazard) Without seeing it, it is unclear whether the filler hose is provided by the coach builder, or, by Ford. In any event, an 8 year old gravity flow fueling hose SHOULD NOT LEAK vapor or liquid.

Chum lee

Chum lee, I agree, a fuel leak is very serious. I was shocked when the mechanic showed me the very degraded piece of hose that was leaking and said that it was actually hydraulic hose and not fuel grade hose. That is very concerning. Is this an isolated situation or an RV industry-wide issue? I can't believe that it is an isolated situation, that my coach is the only one that Ford or Fleetwood installed hydraulic hose as part of the gravity flow fueling hose. Very concerning from an environmental and safety standpoint.
Gary and Cindy
2015 Ford Focus

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I’ll definitely have mine replaced immediately if it ever happens again. Mine leaked about 2 feet from the nozzle well before the frame . I put a 5 gallon bucket beneath that area prior to fueling just in case I saw a leak. I’ve had no error code/idiot lights show up. I did notice the gas pump was really pushing the gas out very fast as I could hear it and feel it in the handle, which made me think it wasn’t my issue. But the gas did hit the pavement so Murphy’s Law will surely see it being repaired.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
the2sharps wrote:
I share the following experience as a heads up. I have a 2012 Class C motor home on a Ford E450 chassis. The fuel system developed a leak when I pumped gas into the tank. The leak was coming from the fuel filler pipe hose that runs through the frame and clamps to the gas tank. The filler hose was factory installed. I took the motor home to a shop for repairs. The mechanic replaced the 10” piece of hose that runs from the tank through the frame and joins to another section of hose about 11” long. The mechanic showed me the old hose he removed. The hose was in really bad shape and had many cracks. There were several long deep cracks on the top of the hose about 4” from the end that clamped to the tank. Those deep cracks were leaking gas when I pumped gas into the tank. The 11” section of hose is fuel grade hose and is fine.

IMO, you are right on the edge time wise. (emissions warranty) It is a MAJOR emissions issue to vent/drip unburned hydrocarbons (gasoline) in the USA environment. (in addition to a serious fire hazard) Without seeing it, it is unclear whether the filler hose is provided by the coach builder, or, by Ford. In any event, an 8 year old gravity flow fueling hose SHOULD NOT LEAK vapor or liquid.

Chum lee

the2sharps
Explorer
Explorer
VA-Apraisr - Several months ago the Gas Cap Warning light came on, Code 455, which was my first sign I had a problem. I got a new gas cap and cleared the code. After awhile the light would come on again. My first noticeable leak was after pumping about 20 gallons and having about a 2 foot circle on the concrete. I did several test at different gas stations and the leak was pretty consistent...after pumping in 2-4 gallons it would start dripping pretty good. Shut off the pump handle, dripping stopped.
Gary and Cindy
2015 Ford Focus

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Odd.....mine did this last week for the first time (2003 Ford E450). Maybe a pint of gas hit the pavement after fill it up with 40 gallons. I put gas in twice after that and leaked nothing. Was wondering if it was the gas station spout or if it's the filler line on my RV? Thought I'd leave it alone until a few more fill-ups to see if it happens again before putting it in the shop for replacement.

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is very common.
My RV is doing the same thing. I just need to swap it out.

The ethanol fuel eats up the hose.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY