cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electric steps

annfrancis_lett
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 36ft. 2006 Holiday Rambler purchased new in 2006, in the last two to three years I have been having trouble with the steps not extending out on the first try, and the same problem when trying to retract the steps. I would have to open & close the door several times and then all of a sudden the steps would work, other times I could open & close that door repeatedly,(driving me crazy) and nothing would happen. I have taken the coach to RV. repair shops in my area, and have replaced the motor under the steps, the motor with the big gear that turns as the steps move in or out twice, on the advice of the mechanic's. they had said that was the cause of the problem. Needless to say that was not the problem. As I write this I still have the problem. I hope someone in the forum knows about this problem and possibly even knows how I might be able to solve(fix) it. I am truly at my wits end. Thanks, in advance to anyone who can help. Frank L
9 REPLIES 9

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
annfrancis.lettera58,

Just one word of caution. If you do anything near the steps, be very, very careful about having fingers, hands & arms anywhere near the mechanism. They can be very dangerous and it is quite easy to get a body part pinched in the mechanism.

I'd recommend disconnecting power to the steps if you're going to remove the module or try to clean things up. If you must work on them under power, work from behind them, underneath the vehicle. Don't try to cut-corners and work from the sides.

Be safe.

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, the module is under on the steps next to that large pie gear.
If you want to "test" the door switch, all you do is disconnect the 2 wires and then jump together and then apart. IF the step malfunctions, your step switch is OK. Doug

OLDER LCI steps, the control module was the first thing to suspect.
Ones built since about 2010, they have motors that fail.

annfrancis_lett
Explorer
Explorer
To Doug;
Is the step module (outside)under the steps? I did notice a metal box about 3x5x1 that does have wires coming from it, & it is right next to the motor with the large gear that turns when the steps move in or out.
When I took the coach to the RV repair shops, no one even mentioned that box so I did not think it was something that had to do with this problem!!
I did take off the cover for the on / off switch for the steps, on the side of the cabinet, near the door. lightly sprayed the connections with a electrical spray cleaner, then put wires back together and made sure all connections were very tight.
This action still did not solve the problem, so my next move is the outside control module you mentioned, ( that metal box)! Thanks again for your input, F.N.L

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd say door switch all the way or some electric connections to the motor.... but I'd focus everything on the door switch at first.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
One more vote for the magnetic switch on the door. Mine is activated by the screen door.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the switch. Cheap to replace. Try that 1st.

Rufas
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have a magnetic switch or a push button switch located in the door jam of the hinged side of the door.

My motorhome has the push button switch and sometimes behaves like yours. I've found that the push button switch sometimes sticks and will not open the steps. I've found I need to periodically apply a light weight oil to the switch.

Hope this helps.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Your description seems to mean of have the LCI/Coach step. There are 2 possible problems with the LCI older step. The magnetic door switch is bad. The control module has corrosion. Older LCI step modules had as problem with sealing out moisture. Doug

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Locate your door switch, and work from there. A bad switch or a loose connection sounds more like your problem.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.