cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electrical problems after driving thru rain

gb76087
Explorer
Explorer
Now I don't know where to start looking. My post "Kwikee steps won't extend" describe my original problems. I failed to mention that we had driven in rain prior. This morning, the first time I opened the door, the steps still did not extend. Unhooked MH, drove a couple of miles, opened door, steps worked.
Stopped this afternoon and jacks(power gear, electric) were in error mode. I was able to override error codes and get the jacks back to operational. Looks and sounds like a grounding problem maybe. How do I find the source of the problem?
2007 Fleeteood TERRA LX 34N
F53, 362hp V10
10 REPLIES 10

fourmat
Explorer
Explorer
gb76087 wrote:
Now I don't know where to start looking. My post "Kwikee steps won't extend" describe my original problems. I failed to mention that we had driven in rain prior. This morning, the first time I opened the door, the steps still did not extend. Unhooked MH, drove a couple of miles, opened door, steps worked.
Stopped this afternoon and jacks(power gear, electric) were in error mode. I was able to override error codes and get the jacks back to operational. Looks and sounds like a grounding problem maybe. How do I find the source of the problem?
First thing I would do is clean all battery connections
2009 Challenger

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
If I remember right, on my coach the steps are bolted to the frame of the coach, for obvious stability. This is the ground electrical connection. The wire coming to the mechanism is the positive voltage cable and it has the plug-in electrical connection that is subject to corrosion. The positive electrical connection also goes through the step on/off switch as well as the door magnetic switch.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Someone with the same RV may have had the same problem.

How to make your signature so we can serve you better:

1. Log on and click "My Preferences".
2. On the "My Preferences" page click the middle box and enter your rig info.
3. Scroll to the bottom and click "Submit Changes"
4. Exit and you're done.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
After 40 years of electrical, what I recommend is getting out your jumper cables and connecting one of them to the negative battery post first.

Then find the negative wire of what is not working, and connect it to the good other end of the jumper cable from the negative post. If that fixes it, then you know it is the negative return, and not the positive feed.

If it doesn't, then reconnect the negative on what is not working, and do the same procedure with a positive jumper cable feed to the device. If that fixes it, it is in the positive feed to the device.

Once you have figured that out, then you start moving the jumper connection to points in between the device and the battery on either the failed positive or the failed negative until you have narrowed it down to the exact spot where the break occurred.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:

Usually wired to the engine battery, yeah pita

Found on my MH that they are wired to the house batteries. Best to find the fuse and pull it.

On my pickup truck, there are 2 ground straps connecting the body to the frame. Both of them had corroded away and I started having strange intermittent electrical issues with accessories in the cab. Check continuity from the chassis metal to the frame.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

gb76087
Explorer
Explorer
Since they started working again, haven't checked ground. Also,since jacks had problems (indicated open ground in circuit or to motor,not sure if there would be a common ground that should be checked.
2007 Fleeteood TERRA LX 34N
F53, 362hp V10

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
Did you check the ground yet?
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

MrWizard
They have no problems breaking fingers caught in the steps of crank arm
Pull the fuse and disconnect the batteries
Usually wired to the engine battery, yeah pita
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is a plug in connection underneath your steps. You may want to clean it and use some dielectric grease to keep the rain from affecting it as much.
Be sure to turn power off to your steps before you crawl under to clean the connector. If they extend or retract while you are under them it could ruin your whole day.

lakebum
Explorer
Explorer
gb76087 wrote:

I am of no help, but try driving in the sunshine and see if that fixes your problems!!! :C
Ken & Janice
South Hill, Virginia