cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Entry way step cover...

Coach_Cleats
Explorer
Explorer
The step cover motor runs when button is activated but step cover does not extend. I've tried to pull the cover out while motor is running no luck.

All suggestions appreciated.
2004 Safari Cheetah 36 PDD, 03 Wrangler Sahara Toad W/Buddy Brake.
Denise and Bob 70 Years as Teachers!
Kodi D'dog'.
About to play as long as we worked.
Senior Softball! What a blast. Nothing is routine!
5 REPLIES 5

randallb
Explorer
Explorer
Our HR had an electric cover and it operated on a system similar to a window regulator. Once or twice the regulator disconnected from the cover. It is a little uncomfortable to reposition but it is doable. Ours just popped into nylon bushings. The last time it disconnected I drilled two small holes and lock wired it in to place.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine isn't that old and it works on air pressure......

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Coach Cleats,
Well Sir, it might be a bit tough to answer your question accurately due to the fact that, your step cover, may not work the same as others. There used to be air controlled ones. Then, they progressed to electronic ones. Ours is the first year electronic ones. The motor in it is almost the same exact motor that runs the outboard steps and, many door awnings.

Many of those are controlled by amp draw, not limit switches. As the motor moves its object, in this case, your step cover, it draws a very slight amount of amps. But, once the step cover hits the end of its travels, at either end, the amp draw spikes up, instantaneously. When that happens, there's a circuit in there that reacts instantly and shut's down the motor.

And, in many or, most of those step covers with that kind of system, there is a cable that is attached to a drum, that is attached to the steps. Now, is it possible for that cable to have been disabled? Yep, there's a definite possibility. Can that cable break, well, yes that can happen too. Not very often though. But, you'll have to dig up in your packet of books that came with the coach, to see what the MFG of the step cover is and, if there's any trouble shooting charts. Good luck.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Coach_Cleats
Explorer
Explorer
The motor runs but the cover remains closed.
2004 Safari Cheetah 36 PDD, 03 Wrangler Sahara Toad W/Buddy Brake.
Denise and Bob 70 Years as Teachers!
Kodi D'dog'.
About to play as long as we worked.
Senior Softball! What a blast. Nothing is routine!

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
ours did that and it was the "limit" switch located on the driver's side in the electrical bay. We tapped it with a hammer and it worked enough to get it back in the open position. We haven't used the step cover since. It's not an easy repair due to where the switch is located. Of course it could be other things like the motor but I would try the limit switch(es) first.
Here's another post that might explain: "Eric and the boys at Priemere motor coach service center in Tucson fixed my long standing problem with my cover. There are two micro switches in the circuit that stop the cover at each end of travel. One is easily replaced in the field the other isn't. So I have been fighting the cover off an on from almost day one for nine years. The techs at my first visit just by passed them last year. No problems since. You have to think now when you use the switches and disengage them promptly at the completed end of travel as not to over heat the motor, but I think we can handle that."
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi