Explorer
Explorer
What is this, how do you check it
11 REPLIES 11

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Shootanae wrote:
Thanks it is a 1986 with a 305 motor and a 3 speed auto trans and has 2.73 gear lots of work ahead!!!

Look forward to seeing photos as your project progresses.

Really cool camper!
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

f_wernlein
Explorer
Explorer
That is a diode type battery isolator. It allows both batteries it is connected to to "charge" from the alternator...yet blocks one battery from draining the other.

All cables are +. The "feed" from the alternator it USUALLY the middle terminal. The outside terminals are the feeds to the batteries.
Frank W.
1985 BlueBird Wanderlodge

Shootanae
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks it is a 1986 with a 305 motor and a 3 speed auto trans and has 2.73 gear lots of work ahead!!!

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Try "dual battery isolator" or "multi-battery isolator" in your search, perhaps.
It's his Super Power!

Bob_N_
Explorer
Explorer
The gizmo pictured looks like an isolator I had on a previous van camper. The isolator splits the alternator charge to both the house battery and the vehicle battery to keep the house battery charged while driving. It also isolates the house battery circuit so that the house current cannot drain the vehicle battery while camping. Can't tell you how to test it ---might try googling "isolator" for info.
Bob N
2002LTV Freedom 2a

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
What year is your Falcon? And it's a Chevy engine/chassis, isn't it?
It's his Super Power!

Shootanae
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks GmandJm

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Did you use 1492's photo posting thingy?
It's his Super Power!

Shootanae
Explorer
Explorer
I can't remember how I got the pic to post ,the thing I am trying to figure out is a electic box that has fins and 3 -10 ga. wires. The van would not charge and after checking pos.post on alt. it had the factory wire and a 14ga.wire that looks like someone added later the 14ga.wire was beside the battery not hooked up factory pos.wire on alt. is not hot so I checked fuseable link on the wire that go's from starter to alt.it is good come to find that wire that normally go's to alt. go's to this box and 1 wire from box go's to alt. the other wire go's to battery in rear I thank this box is to charge the rear battery

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
No idea what you mean in your post today, but thanks for posting the photo of your Falcon on the prior thread.

Very cool!
It's his Super Power!

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
What are you talking about?
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro