cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fantastic Fan install Question

22WANDER
Explorer
Explorer
My RV has the cheapest fan made, and the ceiling is very high. We have to stand on a stool to turn it on. I ordered a new fan with rain sensor and remote control. My question is,do I use the foam gasket that it comes with or just sealer or both ? The instructions are not very clear to me on what to do. I have Itasca with fiberglass roof.
5 REPLIES 5

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
My Fantaastic Fan stopped working after 12 years. Contacted the company, they said the gears most likely stripped. Kit available for 30-something bucks. Included was a new smoked external cover.
Took maybe an hour. Old came out, new went in, back in business.
Never used the new cover...only because I just caulked my fiberglass roof about 2 weeks before. All's well.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
moisheh wrote:
I installed 2 fantastic fans this past winter. No foam gasket. I used putty tape. I also used the appropriate sealer externally.

Moisheh

I just changed out my bathroom cheapy fan for a fantastic fan and I used the same method moisheh used. I don't even recall there being a foam gasket, but if there was I didn't use it. One of the techs at the RV store told me to use the putty tape and then the self leveling sealer. My roof is also fiberglass.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

l001952119
Explorer
Explorer
22WANDER wrote:
My RV has the cheapest fan made, and the ceiling is very high. We have to stand on a stool to turn it on. I ordered a new fan with rain sensor and remote control. My question is,do I use the foam gasket that it comes with or just sealer or both ? The instructions are not very clear to me on what to do. I have Itasca with fiberglass roof.

I used the gasket and also Dicor roof sealant. My roof is Dicor rubber. Check the mastic tube for compatibility with fiberglass. It should work fine.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

I have always used "Rubber roof sealant" on my rubber roof, there is no specific reason it will not work with a fiberglass roof. It is very elastic, and even sticky years later when trying to remove what I had installed a long time ago.

CampingWorld.com sells it, or perhaps your local RV dealer or parts department?

I replaced all my roof vents with Fantastic fans back in 1996, when my RV was new. They are still great! By turning them all on, and then closing all the windows except the one near the couch or dinette, then all the air must pass through there, and it cools me off quickly! I really like the one in the kitchen, it gets used a lot more than the noisy fan over the stove.

I was able to find 12 volt wires near each roof vent, pre-installed by Fleetwood in the Bounder motorhomes. You can remove the inside vent for any non-powered roof vent and look for 12 volt wires, many manufactures install them at the factory, so dealerships can install Fantastic fans afterwords to those who want them.

Mine do not have remote controls, that is a new thing they just started with. Good luck on your install!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I installed 2 fantastic fans this past winter. No foam gasket. I used putty tape. I also used the appropriate sealer externally.

Moisheh