cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Florida SunPass Questions ??

SPRING_STREET
Explorer
Explorer
Will be traveling to Homestead from the north planning on using the Florida Turnpike. I will be driving a 43' Rv pulling a toad. Am I better off using a SunPass or just stopping at each toll station(which seems like a real hassel ) Will I need one for the RV and for the toad ?? Any other suggestions would be appreciated !
2011 MOUNTAIN AIRE 4344, FMCA F334596, Cummins Power Play,Good Sams and KOA member..TOAD 2017 Ford Edge Titanium with a 6 cylinder Engine, License plate "TOWED" > RoadMaster Night Hawk Tow Bar and Base Plates. 😉
21 REPLIES 21

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sam Spade wrote:
FormerBoater wrote:

-Toll Booths have been eliminated on virtually all toll roads in Florida, the exceptions are some bridges and causeways on the west coast and Alligator Alley.

Not even close.

Toll roads in northern Florida, around Orlando and around Tampa still have cash toll booths.

I'm pretty sure that in and near to Miami Dade County is the only place that they are not present.

Many in the Tampa area are sunpass or toll by plate only . Some areas still have cash/tolltakers.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
FormerBoater wrote:

-Toll Booths have been eliminated on virtually all toll roads in Florida, the exceptions are some bridges and causeways on the west coast and Alligator Alley.

Not even close.

Toll roads in northern Florida, around Orlando and around Tampa still have cash toll booths.

I'm pretty sure that in and near to Miami Dade County is the only place that they are not present.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
alcaracu wrote:
all I know is that when pulling the trailer I get charged for truck and trailer. when using just the truck that's all I get charged for.

Well I guess that answers that.
I am somewhat amazed.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
Question, do you plan to use the turnpike only with the MH pulling the toad? Will you be driving the toad on the turnpike? If only MH with toad get a stick SunPass for MH only. They will calculate toll for toad based on axles. You do not have to register toad with them, only MH.

If you plan to drive toad on turnpike get the transponder that can be moved between vehicles and register both vehicles. You don't want to get a stick on pass for both vehicles or you may be double charged. Once for MH and toad and once for toad.

As mentioned at least from Ft Lauderdale south no toll booths. SunPass rates are less than toll by plate and no admin fees. If this is a one time trip and you don't plan on ever going back, toll by plate is not a bad option.

If you plan on returning to FL get a Sunpass account. We've had one for at least 6 years, didn't use it for a few years but the money was still in the account. Go to the SunPass website, they have a toll calculator. Put in where you get on and off and what you're driving and it will show you the cost, minus admin fees if using toll by plate.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Get a sun pass in advanced... one that can be moved as you save close to 25% assuming this is not a one time trip. I get off at Ye Haw junction south of Orlando and take 60 (divide 4 lane) to Vero and then I-95 south... especially with five axles $$$$. 95 through Palm Beach County is greatly improved and moves much better than the turnpike.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I got burned good a couple of years back on the bridge out of MD into VA on RT 301. DP was $12---DP with Toad or 2 axel trailer was $18----My DP with a 3 axel trailer was $36. Hard to tell what it would be if I had a tag axel. But I tow this mess all over and the EZ pass always works and charges for the trailer.

captbru
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have to be a Fl. resident for the toll by plate ??

NO you do not have to be a Florida resident. They will send you a bill, even out of state. there are still a lot of toll boths on the system. All of the southern section is sunpass or toll by plate. They have everything mounted above the lanes and check for sunpass or do the toll by plate.

SPRING_STREET
Explorer
Explorer
captbru wrote:
If I were you I would use the toll by plate, It's only a few dollars more in cost. With a sunpass you must register it and also both vehicle plate numbers.

You will be charged for each axle on both vehicles. Also stopping to pay tolls is no big deal. Remember you will come across a combination of both toll booths and pay by plate.

Do you have to be a Fl. resident for the toll by plate ??
2011 MOUNTAIN AIRE 4344, FMCA F334596, Cummins Power Play,Good Sams and KOA member..TOAD 2017 Ford Edge Titanium with a 6 cylinder Engine, License plate "TOWED" > RoadMaster Night Hawk Tow Bar and Base Plates. 😉

FormerBoater
Explorer
Explorer
Just a few updates for those who have not been down recently or are first-timers:

-The Turnpike will take you all the way to Homestead and the Keys, I-95 ends in Miami.

-There are no "Sunpass Only" lanes as a result.
Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
I traveled that route this summer and much of it is now no cash. You must have plate or Sun pass. I did the sunpass that you buy at drugstores or plazas. Pretty sure there was one tied to a vehicle and one portable which I got. It was simple to load money and used same day.

I didn't tow with Sun Pass but EZ Pass does adjust for trailers and it is accurate and hassle free. They combine the scan with video and know if you are towing.

At the least, if you stay on the turnpike south of Orlando, get off at Jupiter and cross over to I-95. The two highways are near adjacent the and run parallel south to Miami.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

Bob_Shaw
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I would get the Sunpass, but, only use the turnpike as far as FL429 near Orlando, take FL429 south to I-4 (your Sunpass will work on FL429), I-4 west to US27 and Us 27 south until you hit the turnpike again in Miami. US27 is good 4-lane divided highway all the way to Miami, with mostly lighter traffic than the Turnpike, and no tolls. The last time I took the Turnpike, there was a lot of construction in South Florida, and the traffic was horrible from West Palm on down. You'll hit a few (6) small towns, (wave as you go through Sebring, I'll keep the light on), but You've only got about an hour from I-4 to Lake Placid, and then there's only three towns from there to Miami, and it's a good run. You'll save over $60 in tolls, while the Sunpass will save you about 25% in tolls, Florida charges you by the axle, so you are talking about 5 axles for tag and toad. Well, that's what I would and do do.

captbru
Explorer
Explorer
If I were you I would use the toll by plate, It's only a few dollars more in cost. With a sunpass you must register it and also both vehicle plate numbers.

You will be charged for each axle on both vehicles. Also stopping to pay tolls is no big deal. Remember you will come across a combination of both toll booths and pay by plate.

SPRING_STREET
Explorer
Explorer
creeper wrote:
Why not just do the toll by plate? The plus side to doing toll by plate is that if they don't get your motorhome plate and only the toad you don't get charged for the toll(on a tow dolly anyway) . I only learned this because we travelled all over florida for a month and went through many tolls by plate lanes.

Waiting for the hefty toll bill and I only got a bill for $2.50 on TWO tolls and the photo barely had the coach plate.

I would like others to chime in on this. My Rv does have a tag axle so this would be the way to do it as far as expense but certainly wouldn't want to get caught!

alcaracu
Explorer
Explorer
all I know is that when pulling the trailer I get charged for truck and trailer. when using just the truck that's all I get charged for. I use it all over FL for quite a few years. also good for parking at the airports,