cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fluid Change

k9dad
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2011 Fleetwood with a V10 gas engine and tow a CRV. The RV has 40,000 miles. At what interval do you change the RV transmission fluid ? Does anyone change brake fluid this early? How about coolant? The Ford maintenance schedule makes no mention of the brake fluid.Will be doing hot weather travel next summer and want to do preventive maintenance.
7 REPLIES 7

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Transmission - every 30,000 miles.
Brakes - every 2 years.
Coolant - 5 years or 100,000 which ever occurs first then every 3 years or 50,000 miles.

Brake and transmission schedule as related Class A motorhomes is in the back of the Ford Scheduled Maintenance Guide listed under "Exceptions". Second to the last page in my 2006 guide. Same transmission (5R110W) so I would expect the interval is applicable to a 2011. We might have different brake boosters (Hyrdro Boost or Hydro Max) but my guide doesn't make a distinction so I would suspect it also applies. Owner's manual has the fluid type requirements. Stick with the same fluid type.

While under the coach I would drain and refill the power steering fluid also. The rear axle is good for a few more years.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I read a post from RV.Net Poster Bumpy and he said Allison Transmission should have there fluid changed around 25,000 miles. Bumpy also said there is a filter on or inside the trans (I can't remember) that needs to be changed also! If you know Bumpy PM him and he'll set you straight!

path1
Explorer
Explorer
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gjac wrote:
I don't know what the owners manual for your MH says, but I would change all the fluids before your next trip if you are going out west in the summer. When you do note how much debris there is on the transmission magnet inside the pan, the color of the break fluid, and what comes out of your radiator. I changed all my fluids every 30k or so. I think the first fluid change is important especially for the transmission, don't be surprised to see a lot of debris in the pan on the first change.

I agree with the above. I would also check the hoses and especially the spring clamps on them. They had a tendency get loose.
If you do not have DOT 5 brake fluid ,since you are in Fl with our high humidity, I would go ahead and change the brake fluid. DOT 3 and 4 will absorb moisture. Wouldn't hurt to change the serpentine belt while you are at it and carry the old one as a spare.
We drove our V-10 based MH for 13 years without any issues. The V-10 and F-53 chassis was a great package.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since brake fluid absorbs moisture, even when parked, mileage is not really the factor to use when changing it. Some recommend every 2-3 years as being a better maintenance schedule. Since you live in a high humidity area of the country, closer to 2 years may be more prudent for brake fluid.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
And you are supposed to change the CRV trans fluid every 30K miles when you tow.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't know what the owners manual for your MH says, but I would change all the fluids before your next trip if you are going out west in the summer. When you do note how much debris there is on the transmission magnet inside the pan, the color of the break fluid, and what comes out of your radiator. I changed all my fluids every 30k or so. I think the first fluid change is important especially for the transmission, don't be surprised to see a lot of debris in the pan on the first change.