cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

flying J

rickmanj1
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using Flying J for 15 years as dedicated as I can be . On my last trip 5000 miles I had to use whatever diesel stations available .they were cheaper ,faster ,They would just turn the pump on for us.(we are Canadian and can't use our card at pump.).free y fi at some and lots of rest areas have free dump sites. No more Flying J for me.
31 REPLIES 31

Medico
Explorer II
Explorer II
I generally like FJ because I am almost guaranteed of fairly new fuel (lots of turnover) and a nice discount with my RV Plus card ($.08 per gallon with my GS Life Member status). Plus FJ often has a safe place to rest for the night when there is nothing else available. So far I have not needed to avail myself of the dump and propane facilities, but it's nice to know they are there.

When I stop for fuel, I don't mind a short wait because I utilize this time to stretch a little. I have to stop every hour and a half or so because of my back, so this is just one of my regular stops. We are retired and do not plan to drive long distances anyway so having to wait a few minutes is no big deal. We are not in a hurry anyway.

There are times Gas Buddy will help find diesel, but there have been many times it did not help. The problem is that it shows many stations within the radius specified, but quite often they are behind you or out of the way and I would spend the savings getting there. Like I said, with my RV Plus card (everyone can get one, just search the GS site for RV Plus) I save on every gallon at P/FJ.
GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655, FMCA #F431170

2006 Country Coach Magna, 2012 Jeep Liberty

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
tinkerer wrote:
Have the app on my phone called Gasbuddy. I saved as much as $.30 a gallon on diesel fuel. Flying J was high this year. I never seen any difference in diesel fuel when you buy it at a truck stop where they pump a lot of fuel With the Gasbuddy you can plan your fuel stops in advance.The app shows the location and most have a picture of their facilities.

I have not used a FlyJ in over five years, OK I did pull in one night and use their longer brushes to clean the bugs off the windshield without getting fuel. In the last week I've bought 350 gallons of diesel at a savings of over 20cents/gallon ($70+) using GassBuddy to find stations that still take credit cards instead of FlyJ cash price. Guess it helps that I can back up but rarely do I have to at today's newer stations. I have not gotten a bad batch of fuel in over 10 years. You will be surprised by how much you can save driving four blocks further from the interchange.
Like OldB I will not be in your way at FlyJ.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
Gas buddy is goodr than grits and gravy block here or there can save you .10 a gallon! If in doubt you can Google ingress egress. 38 ft MH towing a 20 ft car hauler that's important

Jw
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer
Have the app on my phone called Gasbuddy. I saved as much as $.30 a gallon on diesel fuel. Flying J was high this year. I never seen any difference in diesel fuel when you buy it at a truck stop where they pump a lot of fuel With the Gasbuddy you can plan your fuel stops in advance.The app shows the location and most have a picture of their facilities.

past-MIdirector
Explorer
Explorer
I find Flying J and Pilot prices the same and in some cases cheaper than other large fuel stops in the area. I've used them and the charge card for the last few years and with few problems. With the RV lanes and large pump areas fueling is easy at either site!

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
we regularly use flying j in NM, AZ, CA, UT, WY, TX. Never had a problem with them.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

mooreadventures
Explorer
Explorer
I still use FJ from time to time. I don't think they are as good as they used to be since the merger (take over if you like) with Pilot. I have been in some really good ones (Rock Hill, SC), and some REALLY bad ones (Pecos, TX).
Mark & Tammy
'05 Monaco Cheetah

reubenray
Explorer
Explorer
I search out the Flying J's for the RV lanes and have not had any issues at all. Their prices are usually the same as the other truck stops.
2017 Newmar Ventana LE4037
2016 Chevy Equinox

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
We use the most convenient station. Pilot, Flying J, Loves, other. We prefer Murphy USA at Walmart but can't always get in there easily with the toad.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't use Flying J/Pilot centers......messy, crowed, high priced

I can get diesel cheaper at regular stations and in 7 yrs. of FT travel been in just about every kind......yet to have any fuel problems or issues with getting in/out.

So for those that do use Flying J..........I won't be in your way.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am just not getting the boo hiss posts re Flying J.. We travel 10 months out of the year averaging 15,000 miles per year and have found Flying J's the best place to stop for fuel. We only use the truck lanes and stop mid morning or mid afternoon.

JohnnyT
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Flying J is on my list of good places to stop. With a gas MH and toad I find the RV lane to have a definite advantage, propane is convenient and I have always found the facilities clean. That said, often I have found that Flying J shares the offramp with other large fueling stations, and a quick drive around before pulling in finds the other stations to be either less crowded or have easier access. An example: Traveling on the I-5 in California at the intersection of the 12, North of Stockton, The 76 truck stop has much easier access and egress than Flying J across the street.
As for price or loyalty clubs, I look for convenience, even a dime a gallon becomes less significant when added to the cost of a two week family vacation. OK, a dimes a lot, but the difference is usually pennies.
JMHO

Fleetwood99
Explorer
Explorer
rickmanj1 wrote:
I have been using Flying J for 15 years as dedicated as I can be ..... No more Flying J for me.

Ok. I'll bite.

Flying J take a Flying Leap? is what you meant to say?
99 Fleetwood Vision 36Zulu V10 Gas F53 Chassis
Hyd Leveling man/keypad (Powergear)
Electric Slideouts (Powergear) x2
2005' 4020 Fadal 4Axis CNC Mill w/24Datc
Hendy 16x72" WWII Navy Lathe 1800RPM

cochise49
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 39 foot gasser and use J as often as possible as many of them have a RV lane. Most gas islands are difficult to pull in/out of with the dinghy in tow. Sometimes get too far from pump while watching for swing and/or pivot point issues. Would be nice to have a list or app of fueling places that accomodate larger gas rigs. Old DP could just use truck pumps.
Bev& Keith
2014 Winnebago Adventurer 38Q
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
rickmanj1 wrote:
No more Flying J for me.
I rarely visit one. They're always busy with people who don't mind waiting in line.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman