cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford cruise control

Semi_Retired_Gr
Explorer
Explorer
Last two Mh's have been on the Ford chassis. My only major complaint has been with the cruise control - seems technologically in the dark ages. I've learned to be super alert to the slightest grade, but too often is seems I don't quite sense the grade change and the transmission suddenly shifts down and we're travelling at super high RPM's. My daily drivers seem to sense the change, shift down a little to compensate & continue on without dramatic effect. BTW - the first was a 2005, the current a 2013. Ford can certainly do better than this!
Gary & Liesel
Cocoa, our Chocolate Lab companion
2013 Tiffin 30 GA
2004 Honda Element Toad
39 REPLIES 39

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Would rather not have to PAY the extra cost for the adaptive CC. That's up there with reverse sensors that I don't need or want. Coach costs enough as it is let alone adding in extras to replace what has worked out pretty well so far. Plus adaptice CC won't change the transmission shift programming anyways and I wouldn't expect Ford to change it either just for the F53 platform without adding in more costs for the one off configuration that will be passed along to the end user.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
What is really needed is driverless motorhomes, then no user input would be required.
:CDavid
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable ๐Ÿ˜›
Any errors are a result of CRS.:s

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
shum02 wrote:
Tvov wrote:
shum02 wrote:

Unfortunately not available on Super Duty's yet

Yes, that is pretty much what we are talking about...

Not everyone. Most seem to be blanketing the statement across the entire product line. Adjusting a CC to work while towing or being loaded to GVWR takes a bit of work and then throw a hill/mountain at the equation. Not totally sure but I have a feeling the engineers at Ford are probably aware of the problem and have been working on it. To bad they don't understand that people want results today, now............

Mine works great unloaded or towing on the flats but I totally agree it is VERY aggressive when under load. Usually kick it off myself because my right foot does a better job of fuel economy in the hills than the computer can anyway.

Well it`s been 12 years for me, and longer for others. how long can it take to rewrite software that works correctly?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
shum02 wrote:

Not everyone. Most seem to be blanketing the statement across the entire product line. Adjusting a CC to work while towing or being loaded to GVWR takes a bit of work and then throw a hill/mountain at the equation. Not totally sure but I have a feeling the engineers at Ford are probably aware of the problem and have been working on it. To bad they don't understand that people want results today, now............

Mine works great unloaded or towing on the flats but I totally agree it is VERY aggressive when under load. Usually kick it off myself because my right foot does a better job of fuel economy in the hills than the computer can anyway.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
shum02 wrote:

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
Semi Retired Grandpa wrote:
timmac wrote:
427435 wrote:
I really don't understand all the bitc+++g. If you are unhappy with the noise levels, add some insulation to the dog house. If you are unhappy because it kicks down too easy, learn to shut it off on hills and just use the gas pedal at a moderate setting a so it kicks down at a slower speed.

I've learned to put my foot on the throttle to over ride the CC when going down hill to pick up some speed. I will also kick it out of O/D a little early when climbing a hill to ease the shift and maintain the desired speed.

In any event, the CC on my old F53, pulling a 5000 lb toad, works as good as I can expect.

Its not that we are bitc+++g just pointing out that CC have not gotten better over the years as the rest of the chassis, same as with our Nissin truck, every time it gets to a hill the CC shuts off, they can develop a smart CC that knows its in the hills and slows down the speed and just down shift 1 gear and not 2 gears, when I am on a long hill and maintaining 45 mph I can do it in 4th gear but if I put the CC on it wants to go to 3rd gear.

I think todays CC is the same as 30 years ago, nothing has changed in this department.

So true with the Ford - our SUV (car also) shifts down one gear at a time - the change barely discernible. We can travel up and down Oregon's mountains w/o having to adjust the CC. BTW - the car also senses the speed of the vehicle in front and adjusts speed accordingly. Very relaxing - a far cry from the Ford where even the slightest grade too often results in a dramatic change in engine RPM's. Far past time for Ford to bring its CC up to today's level.

You REALLY should pay attention to what is NEW and not what WAS. Ford's new vehicles do have "adaptive cruise control". Spend a little of your free time researching first.

Ford adaptive cruise control

Semi_Retired_Gr
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
427435 wrote:
I really don't understand all the bitc+++g. If you are unhappy with the noise levels, add some insulation to the dog house. If you are unhappy because it kicks down too easy, learn to shut it off on hills and just use the gas pedal at a moderate setting a so it kicks down at a slower speed.

I've learned to put my foot on the throttle to over ride the CC when going down hill to pick up some speed. I will also kick it out of O/D a little early when climbing a hill to ease the shift and maintain the desired speed.

In any event, the CC on my old F53, pulling a 5000 lb toad, works as good as I can expect.

Its not that we are bitc+++g just pointing out that CC have not gotten better over the years as the rest of the chassis, same as with our Nissin truck, every time it gets to a hill the CC shuts off, they can develop a smart CC that knows its in the hills and slows down the speed and just down shift 1 gear and not 2 gears, when I am on a long hill and maintaining 45 mph I can do it in 4th gear but if I put the CC on it wants to go to 3rd gear.

I think todays CC is the same as 30 years ago, nothing has changed in this department.

So true with the Ford - our SUV (car also) shifts down one gear at a time - the change barely discernible. We can travel up and down Oregon's mountains w/o having to adjust the CC. BTW - the car also senses the speed of the vehicle in front and adjusts speed accordingly. Very relaxing - a far cry from the Ford where even the slightest grade too often results in a dramatic change in engine RPM's. Far past time for Ford to bring its CC up to today's level.
Gary & Liesel
2013 Tiffin 30 GA
2004 Honda Element Toad

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
427435 wrote:

Explorer
Explorer
Another solution is to get a scan gauge. A couple of possible readings with it are % load and % throttle. You can quickly learn at which points the CC shifts down. Just before the shift occurs, turn the CC off and hold the % throttle with your foot.

I don't find the shift from 4th (OD) to 3rd that objectionable, but I've insulated the dog house with good sound damping material.
Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
Semi Retired Grandpa wrote:
Ford can and should do better - other manufacturers certainly do.

They did on the new systems.

Ford/IH built the gasser V10 and 6.0L PSD to rev and they do. They are NOT low RPM motors like the I6 Cummins. When it needs to accelerate or maintain speed on an incline with a load behind it it will downshift sometime maybe 2 gears to maintain that speed. Keeping it under 55mph/90kph with the T/H button on will normally keep her out of OD lessening the downshifting of the tranny but this does use more fuel. A set of 4:88's like in the F450 will also lessen the downshifting ๐Ÿ™‚

Semi_Retired_Gr
Explorer
Explorer
427435 wrote:

Difficult to "shut it off on hills" when the slightest grade change will often cause it to shift down. I use cruise often - in the MH, car and SUV - and have become extremely sensitized to the Ford cruise control - watch it to the point that it becomes the most stressful part of driving! Yet is still sometimes catches me by surprise. I can tow a very heavy boat with our SUV for long distances over Oregon's mountains without ever experiencing this irritating situation. Ford can and should do better - other manufacturers certainly do.
Gary & Liesel
2013 Tiffin 30 GA
2004 Honda Element Toad

Semi_Retired_Gr
Explorer
Explorer
Ductape wrote:
My cc works fine uphill and down.

If you think gear changes and high revs are a problem, try hooking 10 tons to your daily driver and see what the cc does then!

Perhaps - I tow a boat that weighs nearly as much as our SUV and never experience the same problem. With the Ford I'm very alert to grade changes yet it still catches me by surprise - a very minimal grade and suddenly it shifts to a much lower gear (which? I don't know) and the engine rpm goes off the chart - enough to wake the wife in the copilot seat!! Immediate disengage but always irritating. Ford could and should do better!
Gary & Liesel
2013 Tiffin 30 GA
2004 Honda Element Toad

pkunk
Explorer
Explorer
I agree. No fault with the CC, just learn to anticipate, to drive. Cruise was not designed to let you drive 15-20k lbs in hilly terrain without driver input.
Half the fun in traveling is 'driving' not letting 'cruise' do it for you.
1999 Coachman Mirada 34 ft.V10-F53 chassis
12ft.LR slide-2 gp31 AGM 12V @220AH

Explorer
Explorer

Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.