cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Front suspention

myface
Explorer
Explorer
+Hi all.New guy here. I purchase 2001 Winnebago Brave SE 29A. Runs good, but my front of vehicle is low. It have workhorse chassis. There are no airbags in front. Could it be my shock?.
20 REPLIES 20

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
myface wrote:
The factory did not put airbags.

Incorrect if Workhorse P chassis-- at least from Workhorse. No idea what your coach maker did.

Yes, shocks are unrelated to ride height.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
While your shocks may be worn out and need replacing, they will not affect the ride height. The ride height is a function of the springs. The shocks just slow the spring down when you hit a bump.

I would find a public scale to weigh the RV they are more common than you would think. You don't need a certified weight, you just need a weight. You can do a web search for a CAT scale, but they may not be plentiful in your area. Other places to call would be moving and storage companies, the local landfill, a grain silo, heck any place that regularly runs big trucks in and out will probably have a truck scale.

If you do weigh you want to load the RV as if headed for a trip. Make sure the fresh water tank is full and fill up the fuel tank. Then drive to the scale and take three weights. 1) The front axle. 2) The whole RV. 3) The rear axle.

Take these wights and have your RV repair shop order and replace the springs and shocks.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2001 Winnebago Brave 30 W. It had air bags in the front springs but always sat slightly low in front. We were on a trip and both front bags failed which let it sit really low. We finished the trip like that and when I got home I ordered new springs from Henderson Steer Safe. I put them in myself, it was a fairly big job, but well worth it. It sits up like it should and rides and drives better than ever. You have to weigh the front end and they will send the proper springs based on the weight. The front end then has to be re-aligned. The cost for the springs was a little over $500 if I remember right and the alignment was somewhere around $100+. I am very satisfied with the new springs. If you are not mechanically inclined with a place to work, the alignment shop could probably install them.
Edit: I just checked and I think the springs are called super steer not steer safe and they are priced at $360 a pr on Henderson's web site.
Just google Henderson super steer.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

myface
Explorer
Explorer
I took to the RV repair shop to inspect my front and I was told that my shocks are gone, but the spring is ok. They will put a airbags in springs too. The factory did not put airbags.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Assume this is a Workhorse P chassis.

OE was air bags inside the coil springs.

Another good option if low (after measuring ride height) is new coil springs specifically designed for your actual coach weight:

https://www.hendersonslineup.com/supersteer-products
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Hello and welcome.
Shocks do nothing for ride height. That's in he springs. If it is sitting low, the springs are probably worn out. You will need to find the ride height specs and measure from the frame to the ground.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!