cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Full Wall Slide ??

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at an 07 Monaco product (Safari) with a full wall slide, just looking for comments pro and con concerning them. Are there many problems, mechanical or otherwise associated with them? Thanks
Brian
29 REPLIES 29

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
ours are all electric. the back pair are small, and zip in and out like nobodies business.
The front pass side kitchen slide only extends 18" or so, and rolls in and out without any strain at all.

The big one, 16 feet, 32" extention, flush floor, that one worries me everytime I run it. It moan s and groans and just sounds terrible. But it has yet to fail to move.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
My full wall slide is 26' long and is operated by one small gear motor. Works just fine. As for basement access, not having a full wall slide is no guarantee you can access all basement areas with ease when the slide is out.
Bottom line is what works best for you. If you find something you like with a full wall slide then you can ask for specific comments to that model from owners and you won't get all of these random comments and opinions from non-owners.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

kjburns
Explorer
Explorer
Goldencrazy wrote:
Rexall makes units with full wall slides on both sides. Really neat unit available in either diesel or gas.

I'd forgotten all about them until I read this. They do look nice. I've only seen one that was parked near us a couple of years ago and didn't go inside.
2019 Dynamax Isata3 24FW

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Rexall makes units with full wall slides on both sides. Really neat unit available in either diesel or gas.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
tropical36 wrote:

Better question might be as to maybe having a problem like with all of them eventually and how easy is it to combat such an enormous bulk. I'd rather have 4 smaller ones and not so much to contend with for manually cranking, pushing, shoving and alignment adjustments.
Limited manual effort for my Lipper pump. Attach a drill and crank for a bad motor.

But what if the pump is the problem? Disconnect the hydraulic hoses and attempt to push the very heavy slide in? That would be very difficult. Then what? Hydraulic fluid holds the slide in (or out) and now you don't have any. As a practical matter I think if you can't move the slide with the pump repairs would have to be made on site. This would also apply to hoses and hydraulic rams.

My Lipper pump problem was a poor design that leaked fluid into the motor. Then the drill could not be used to turn the pump due to a botched design. I was able to jury rig the pump, release the valves, get the slide in and then close the valves. The second slide had not been extended. The replacement pump is a better design.

Not bashing Lipper as anything can have problems. When I pointed out the design problems (which of course they knew) they sent me a new pump. I was just a few days over the 2 year warranty. Now I have a backup pump if I want to repair it.

Just wondering how small the slide has to be, so that its pure electric like ours. I can manually release the motor brake and crank it in short order. Naturally there's always something else that could go wrong to prevent that convenience and one might have to do some repairs on sight. Neighbor has an electric lipper and the only way to release the brake, is to apply 12v power to the motor brake itself.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
tropical36 wrote:

Better question might be as to maybe having a problem like with all of them eventually and how easy is it to combat such an enormous bulk. I'd rather have 4 smaller ones and not so much to contend with for manually cranking, pushing, shoving and alignment adjustments.
Limited manual effort for my Lipper pump. Attach a drill and crank for a bad motor.

But what if the pump is the problem? Disconnect the hydraulic hoses and attempt to push the very heavy slide in? That would be very difficult. Then what? Hydraulic fluid holds the slide in (or out) and now you don't have any. As a practical matter I think if you can't move the slide with the pump repairs would have to be made on site. This would also apply to hoses and hydraulic rams.

My Lipper pump problem was a poor design that leaked fluid into the motor. Then the drill could not be used to turn the pump due to a botched design. I was able to jury rig the pump, release the valves, get the slide in and then close the valves. The second slide had not been extended. The replacement pump is a better design.

Not bashing Lipper as anything can have problems. When I pointed out the design problems (which of course they knew) they sent me a new pump. I was just a few days over the 2 year warranty. Now I have a backup pump if I want to repair it.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

NorCal_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
kedanie wrote:
Basically, those that don't have one find an excuse or reason that they dislike them. Those that do have them seem to like them. We like ours very much with zero problems.

Choose whatever floor plan you like and just go camping.

Keith

X2 - No issues with our super slide.
'13 Ram 2500Hemi pulling '12 Coachman Chaparral -- USAF Retired --

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
supercub wrote:
Looking at an 07 Monaco product (Safari) with a full wall slide, just looking for comments pro and con concerning them. Are there many problems, mechanical or otherwise associated with them? Thanks
Brian

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
We've had no problems with the weight of the refer in the slide. This is also the slide that drops down as it extends to provide a flat floor. What goes down has to come up. This slide and the kitchen slide are both hydraulic, have 12V, 120V, water and propane. Plus the drain for the kitchen slide.

I did as previously posted have to replace the defective designed Lipper pump and fortunately it was a newer/better design.

Bob

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
First, let me say I didn't read all the posts.

This is just my opinion but a full wall slide really won't have any more issues than a regular slide. Friends of ours who had (sold the unit as they wanted to get out of RVing) didn't have any problems with their full wall slide.

I wanted four separate slides as I didn't want to duck under the slide for the bay services. Many people with full wall slides connect the electric/sewer then put their slide out which works fine for them.

I also didn't want the weight of the fridge in the slide out. Our four slide unit gives us plenty of room and I'm OK with the 'hour-glass' middle as some might say. None of our bathroom facilities move in a slide (except for the kitchen area).

A person just needs to find a plan that they feel comfortable with. I have to say that there have been a few times where a tree or some obstruction would have limited a full-wall slide. Seems like it relates more to the electric post, fence post or tree.

That big slide, I would imagine, is very heavy and would need a strong mechanism to work. For those that are looking at units with full-wall slides, just make sure the unit that you pick has a good system.

We are looking at replacing our current coach and the new coach will have four separate slides. It's just the way I want it.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

kjburns
Explorer
Explorer
We have a long (28 ft or so) full wall slide on the driver's side, plus two slides on the passenger side. The added space makes it feel like a home away from home. The coach is three years old and we have not had any problems with the slides. I would buy another one if we were in the market.
2019 Dynamax Isata3 24FW

Cbones
Explorer
Explorer
Been discussed many times. Do a search on full wall slide and you will find plenty of reading. Bottom line for me 5 yrs 75000 miles one small issue of alignment from day one which was corrected and never had another problem with the FWS. I would never own a coach without one.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
My mistake: With the PS bedroom slide in we cannot use the WD. Absolutely no issue for us!

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
IMHO the most important aspect of slides is inside access when all slides are in. We can get to almost everything with the slides in and with just the DS 18" bedroom slide out we can access everything including walk around the bed (vs over the bed).

So my advice when considering a rig bring in the slides and decide what works for you.

Bob