cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gas or DP

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking to go back to a MH, I want spend $70K -100K. It appears I could get a 3-4 old gas or a 8-10 year DP. I like the idea of a DP but wonder if the life is used up on a 10 year old DP and I how much $$ to update on one. I have had a gas before and I know they are slow and noisy in the Rockies. Any thoughts.
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD
31 REPLIES 31

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
tropical36 wrote:
No way we'd trade it for a newer entry level coach, at the same worth, that's for sure.

I agree with that sentiment.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Colo Native wrote:
I am looking to go back to a MH, I want spend $70K -100K. It appears I could get a 3-4 old gas or a 8-10 year DP. I like the idea of a DP but wonder if the life is used up on a 10 year old DP and I how much $$ to update on one. I have had a gas before and I know they are slow and noisy in the Rockies. Any thoughts.

We bought last year at 9yrs old and sold one at 18yrs old, that we had for 9rys, as well. Could have kept the old one for that matter, but just wanted to move up a bit.
Anyway, our present one, came in like new condition in and out, with 33K miles, so don't get it with the older and especially quality built units falling apart. Must be some kind of wives tale, I guess and if it's built right in first place, it will outlast many of the new models.
No way we'd trade it for a newer entry level coach, at the same worth, that's for sure.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
We just toured the Newmar Plant. If I were looking at a shorter OAL new coach, The Newmar New Aire would be on the short list It is a 34' diesel with many great features. Best of 2 worlds to me. We choose gas because we spend limited time in the mountains. I did extensive travel in the west when I had my DP and it worked so much better than a gasser for mountain travel.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

Craig95005
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2012 Thor Challenger 37 foot model (actually 38 feet long). Drives great and quiet and very stable on most roads, but it is indeed noisy climbing and especially in the mountains slows down quite a bit. But the engine has been reliable, and we love the floor plan and looks of the interior. So once you're at the campground, just as nice as most diesels, and considerably cheaper for the same quality interior. But in the mountains I've got to be honest - it sure would be nice to have a diesel.
Craig

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I have always purchased new but over the years i have learned that a well maintained motorhome can be easily as good as brand new. I have seen interior upgrades and new paint that turned a 12 year old coach into better than new.

hipower
Explorer
Explorer
What we use our motorhomes for over the years has changed with our age. Where we traveled more extensively before we snowbird now. While a comfortable place to sit when parked has always been important and space enough to carry what we considered necessary was pretty important and towing a toad was important, many other things mattered much less. Decent ride and handling were important while getting up the hills fast or first never entered the picture.

There is no universal answer to the OP's question. We can only suggest what we all have learned from our experiences. Get whatever you find comfortable for your expected use and that fits your budget. Then don't let it sit in storage any more than absolutely necessary. Get out and enjoy life.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
The gassers get higher rear end gear ratios as the lengths goes up so it's not as though it's the exact same setup for all of them.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bruce Brown wrote:
Gjac wrote:
One thing to keep in mind is a short gas MH with 362 HP and weights 16,000 lbs will have a higher HP/wt ratio than a 300 or 340 HP DP that is closer to 30,000 lbs. Gas MH's have the same engine whether it is 28 ft or 38 ft. DP's HP go up as the length and weight go up.

True, with possibly one *.

In the diesel world torque is the better number to look at. There is a big difference between a Cummins ISB rated at 300HP/600# torque and a Cummins ISC rated at 300HP/950 # torque. HP sells stuff, torque is what gets the work done.

Seeing as the new Ford V10 is rated at 320HP/460# torque and the lowest rated ISB today has 660# torque, it's something that needs to be considered.

With that said, I'd still lean towards a diesel, there are just too many other benefits other than the engine.
I would lean towards a DP if I wanted 40 ft MH but in the shorter sizes they are hard to find. Saw a nice winabago 32t with a 350 HP engine but it had no pass thru storage. The CC allures and Intrigues are nice but they are hard to find. I don't want to start a torque vs HP debate but from a pure performance stand point I don't think a MH that weighs 30,000 lbs with 300 HP will out perform a 15,000 lb MH that has 362 HP. The gas engine may sound like it is going to come apart at 4500 RPMs and the diesal is just chugging along at 1400 RPMs but that is all in the design. The increased torque may be better from a stand still but if each approaches a hill at 40 mpg I think the one with the highest HP/ WT ratio will be at the top sooner.

Bruce_Brown
Gjac wrote:
One thing to keep in mind is a short gas MH with 362 HP and weights 16,000 lbs will have a higher HP/wt ratio than a 300 or 340 HP DP that is closer to 30,000 lbs. Gas MH's have the same engine whether it is 28 ft or 38 ft. DP's HP go up as the length and weight go up.

True, with possibly one *.

In the diesel world torque is the better number to look at. There is a big difference between a Cummins ISB rated at 300HP/600# torque and a Cummins ISC rated at 300HP/950 # torque. HP sells stuff, torque is what gets the work done.

Seeing as the new Ford V10 is rated at 320HP/460# torque and the lowest rated ISB today has 660# torque, it's something that needs to be considered.

With that said, I'd still lean towards a diesel, there are just too many other benefits other than the engine.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Colo Native wrote:
Busskipper wrote:
Colo Native wrote:

Only you will Know the right unit for You - Floor plan and Level of Fit and finish will likely be the deciding factors.

IMHO, the older diesel will give you more of what you are looking for.

Comfort - Ride - Build level - just a better House.

Just a guess but I think you have a strong lean for the Diesel.

Have you narrowed down the list to a Manufacturer, or two? Think that will help.

In all honesty the size limit you have will tend to be very limited in the used market, and as you know there are just so many more 40' Coaches.

So, if I were you, figure out the Type - Diesel or Gas - ID your level of Finish (Not just on the surface) - Narrow down to couple of Manufacturers - Search till you drop.

Then run the heck out of it, see the rest of the Country,

Now ----- what will be the Toad?????????????? Be sure the selected Coach can pull it where you will travel.

A 400HP non DEF should be possible, and would be my preference

Keep us all in the Loop as this will be FUN to watch as it evolves.

Best of Luck,

ps. as I've read many or your posts over the last few years - you have a strong knowledge of your needs and what will work - my story is I had a gas unit that just could not handle Colorado so I had a Diesel Build - we selected a Hydro Hot because we use it in the winter - This is a BIG DEAL - so just keep that in mind - Insulation is also Critical if you use it in the Fall/Spring/Winter.

Colorado is hard on gassers going up the hills at 35MPH and 4500rpm slow and noisy Been there done that but then again I don't know if a 300-340 HP dp is much better

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:
Colo Native wrote:

Only you will Know the right unit for You - Floor plan and Level of Fit and finish will likely be the deciding factors.

Have you narrowed down the list to a Manufacturer, or two? Think that will help.

In all honesty the size limit you have will tend to be very limited in the used market, and as you know there are just so many more 40' Coaches.

So, if I were you, figure out the Type - Diesel or Gas - ID your level of Finish (Not just on the surface) - Narrow down to couple of Manufacturers - Search till you drop.

Now ----- what will be the Toad?????????????? Be sure the selected Coach can pull it where you will travel.

Best of Luck,

ps. as I've read many or your posts over the last few years - you have a strong knowledge of your needs and what will work - my story is I had a gas unit that just could not handle Colorado so I had a Diesel Build - we selected a Hydro Hot because we use it in the winter - This is a BIG DEAL - so just keep that in mind - Insulation is also Critical if you use it in the Fall/Spring/Winter.

Colorado is hard on gassers going up the hills at 35MPH and 4500rpm slow and noisy Been there done that but then again I don't know if a 300-340 HP dp is much better
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
At the 34 ft range I would look at a newer gas MH. Look at the storage, CCC, FW grey and black capacities. At 36-38 ft it is kind of a toss up.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Colo Native wrote:

Best of Luck,

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
We had a smaller gas Class A before we purchased the DP in our signature new. At 10 years, it really will vary depending upon the care the coach has received. It will be EASIER and less work to find a new Gas coach but not necessarily better or cheaper in the long run.

A 10 year old DP that has had no modifications or upgrades done to it over those 10 years will feel old and dated compared to a new gas coach. On the other hand, over the past 10 years, we have continually updated our coach with new MCD shades, residential fridge, new televisions throughout, new carpeting, new tile backsplashes, new faucets, new toilet, you get the idea. Folks are always surprised that the coach is 10 years old because it doesn't look or feel like it is.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited