Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

gas station air pumps

cencerrita
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi
Always seem to be having problems finding gas stations with high volume and pressure air pumps for tires (80 psi). How does everyone else get on?
www.cencerrita.comNow living in Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK. See our web site for US travels and books www.cencerrita.com
23 REPLIES 23

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
I carry this style 110 volt ac inflator. Not this model, I bought mine on sale at Home Depot for $25 a few years ago. I carry extension cords, kick on the generator and fill my tires in a short time. These things take up very little room.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003XGYDE2/ref=psdc_155346011_t2_B00NFSNAS8
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

beachcomber_1
Explorer
Explorer
Always check volume per minute of compressor, along with max pressure. High pressure alone is poor guide of the capabilities of the compressor.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I carry 12v compressor that have a pressure switch that you set turn off pressure, I set the pressure that is needed then I don't have to sit and watch and wait for it.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you for the info.

jrobert01
Explorer
Explorer
ViAir here still works 12 yrs. And counting

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
noteven wrote:
bobndot wrote:
Jack Spratt wrote:
Another VAir user here
Pricy but works well

Im thinking of buying one.
How do you guys like the VAir units. Do they also slow down as you near the 60-70# mark ? I like the long shaft air chuck.

I have a 100psi Viair in a bag kit with clip on inflator/deflator & guage built into the line and a 460 200psi frame mounted for the air suspension on my pickup. I carry a hose and basic air chuck and gauge. - ya they slow down as psi rises.

I use both clip on or straight on the truck air hose. They arenโ€™t 18CFM Cummins compressors so a clip on is nice.

Viair publishes volume @ pressure rates on their website.

I carry a plug kit for get to a tire shop repair.

Oh and plugging punctures on haying machines and blowing up the tires.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
double post

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jack Spratt wrote:
Another VAir user here
Pricy but works well

Im thinking of buying one.
How do you guys like the VAir units. Do they also slow down as you near the 60-70# mark ? I like the long shaft air chuck.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use a 120v compressor at home and Flying J's or Loves when I travel. I do carry a cheap HF 12v compressor just in case of a flat that will burn up if you try to inflate a 19.5 tire to 90 psi. In 15 years and 100k miles of travel I only had to use it once and a plug kit I carried. I was able to get about 40 lbs after plugging the rear tire and then drove a short distance to a gas station to top it off to 90 psi. I would not use a 12 v compressor from Walmart or HF to top off a tire.

Jack_Spratt
Explorer
Explorer
Another VAir user here
Pricy but works well
Leprechaun 260 DSF
2017 Big Horn FL3750

'10 Yellow Lab to keep us on our toes.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are a pain in the ass.

I have a Viair 200psi Model that travels with me.

cencerrita
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for all the replies. The truck stop lanes seem the best when traveling. I do have a 110V air compressor ( 3 gallon 100psi 1/3 HP Harbour freight) which i run off my invertor if needs be, but find it takes a long time after about 66 psi but glad to have it as it has got me out of problems even if taking a long time.
Good to read the types of compressors other people use and wish i had brought a 135 psi model now
www.cencerrita.comNow living in Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK. See our web site for US travels and books www.cencerrita.com

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
local tire shop does for us. I bought some tires from them years ago, now just pull in and they take care of it for me. In other places, I have found most tire stores will do it, either free or at minimal cost. Also, most big truck stops will take care of it for you, but there may be a wait.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.