cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator no start

Tinyhousebus
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's the relay because it was starting fine and then it wouldn't even try to start. I bought a new relay but I might have it backwards?

It's a Kohler 5000 watt in a 1991 Georgieboy Swinger.

Any tips?
6 REPLIES 6

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
OK, start at the batteries and check the voltage at the batteries posts, then on the cables that attach to the batteries. If you have voltage go to the ground and positive post of the batteries. If that is good, continue on the positive cable until you get to the generator, or the start relay. If you can use a VOM, you are almost home free. IF the power is getting through the relay, it could be in the cable from there to the starter on the generator.
Good luck.
Wildmanbaker

Tinyhousebus
Explorer
Explorer
Two brand new batteries, full tank of fuel, I press the button and nothing. No turn, no noise, no click. The day before it turned and started easily. Only 135 hours on it. Clean tight connections at the batteries.

Many times before when I had this happen on other motors after checking all the things mentioned it's usually my solenoid before a switch and the old solenoid was disgusting so I said why not throw 8.99 at it and be happy so I did and I am.

But it still won't start

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Need more info- when you say "it didn't even try to start", what did it do? If literally nothing happens when you push the button, it's an electrical problem. It could be a bad battery, bad switch, bad solenoid, bad starter, bad wiring, etc. If it spins merrily away but doesn't start, then it's either fuel, spark, or compression. Compression rarely goes away without warning, so it's likely not the problem.

ALWAYS start with stuff that's free to check, unless you like to waste money by throwing parts at a problem. First rule out of a fuel problem as was mentioned is to simply make sure you have enough fuel in the tank- if your fuel level is below 1/4 the generator won't run. First rule out of an electrical problem is making sure all of the battery and starter connections are clean and tight. With such a low voltage, high amperage system, it doesn't take much of a bad connection to keep something like a starter motor from working.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
start simple, why throw money at it, like the relay your guessing.start at the power source the battery.

Bruce_Brown
How much fuel in your tank? If it's too far down there won't be any fuel available for the generator.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
you did check your battery?