cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GFI issue in bathroom -trips 3 recptaces - will not reset

Ronaldlee
Explorer
Explorer
I have a situation going on with the bathroom GFI popping and will not reset. It takes out the receptacle in the kitchen and the outside TV. These are on the same side of the coach. Have replaced the GFI 3 times but will not last. This is on a 2006 Fleetwood Excursion. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

Thanks for any information you might have....

Ron
39 REPLIES 39

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
If I read his post correctly, he's replaced the GFCI THREE times already. With that, the assumption the GFCI is "bad" is the wrong assumption.

Not if the new one operates properly for more than a few seconds, it doesn't mean that at all.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
Check your refrigerator ice maker..on my old HR..the fridge outlet was not on inverter/GFI but the icemaker was...unplug the icemaker if you have one and see if that helps..Could be something in there making it trips.I also used to have a multi plug USB charge station..it would trip the GFI due to resistance..nothing seemed wrong with it but it would trip it simply due to resistance..if you have a charger of some kind for a device try unhooking that..you might be surprised..I was.
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
If I read his post correctly, he's replaced the GFCI THREE times already. With that, the assumption the GFCI is "bad" is the wrong assumption. To go further, I'd suspect he has another issue and the GFCI is doing what it's supposed to do. There are two ways to trouble shoot. One is to trace all the wiring feeding OFF the GFCI. This means all the wiring AFTER the switch. The other method and most likely the easiest is to disconnect everything from the outlets feeding off the switch. If it still trips, then the problem is in the coach wiring. I'd start with the outside TV outlet. I'm assuming this is a factory install and not a DIY TV. These outlets are more prone to weather and water intrusion which causes corrosion etc. They're also easier to get to. From there, check any other outlets in your bays including any in the engine compartment. Best of luck in exorcising your demon.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You could remove the GFCI, disconnect load wires,then try to reset. This will tell whether it is GFCI or something down stream

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
Ronaldlee wrote:
Do not know if they are on the inverted or not.
It trips on all the others...

Are you using an extension cord?
FMCA member

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
GFI receptacles and breakers do go bad more often than expected. My dad was the maintenance guy for a campground and he was always complaining about how often he had to replace the GFI receptacles or breakers.

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
Possibly moisture in the outside receptacle causing the trip. Are you in a high moisture area? Are you using something when it trips?
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would looking for a damaged wire or device.
Start by removing the outside receptacle and look for any signs of corrosion like green slime.
Are they on a slide out? If yes, inspect the cord feeding the slide. It could be pulled tight against a clamp.
Not being able to reset indicates no power or fault exists.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Ronaldlee
Explorer
Explorer
Do not know if they are on the inverted or not.
It trips on all the others...

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
A few questions.
Are the outlets on an inverter?
Have you disconnected everything from the outlets and does it still trip?
Does it trip on shore power?
Generator power?
Are you using an extension cord to plug in your coach?
FMCA member