Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone added an extra water tank to RV roof

Jonathan92028
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
everyone I’m new to this website and was hoping to get your advice.
I have a 25’ Class C four winds RV with a e450.
Because I do lots of boondocking and have issues finding water, I wanted to add a 48 gallon water tank to my roof. I realize there’s some negatives and I’m curious what you thought or have experienced. I do not tow anything, I do realize it will add an extra 400lbs to my RV and center of gravity will possibly be effected. I plan to spread the load over several roof supports .

The tank is Clear plastic allows you to see the water level easily. Tank measures 64 1/2" L x 18" W x 12" deep.

Any feedback ? , has anyone tried this.
21 REPLIES 21

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
There are several 500 lb rated hitch carriers listed on amazon. Much better solution imho.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
“Some negatives” include adding 400 pounds plus tank weight to the highest point of the RV. How much did you determine this would raise your COG?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
RV structures are not known for being overbuilt and motorhome suspensions are also iffy.

I would look underneath to see if you could fit something between the frame in an unused area. Also check the weight ratings on the rig. Good chance, you don't have enough cargo capacity to add 500lb.

Do you tow a car? If not a small enclosed trailer might be a good idea.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
For short distances from a water source to a camp, I carry four 7 gal Reliance jugs on the rv floor.
To eliminate the lifting, I have a specific clean tub that I pour it into and a specific marine bilge pump that pumps it into the holding tank when needed. I just plug the bilge into my outside solar hookup. That's actually a 2 way 12v power source.

Re the roof: I would rather see that much weight on a front receiver rated at 500# or more if possible. Some of the TC guys carry it that way.

The other option would be an outside portable shower and use a stream as your water for washing .

I also bought from Amazon a portable rechargeable shower head and pump that is submersible in a 5 gal bucket. I have used that inside my shower using stream water. It actually works in the winter when I have winterized my lines. I just drain the gray tank right away.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
If you decide against trying that, have you considered an Idaho Tote or Freedom Hauler

Nearly 3000 lb capacity so haul all the water you want.
or, a cargo carrier.
cargo carrier
I would keep the weight to maybe 350, but that should still help you, and you could leave it empty most of the time , only filling when your getting close to your destination.
Happy motorin

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have an answer for you.
However, I would be concerned about the additional weight and the impact on the COG.
Are you planning on filling the tank at home and driving to your destination or filling near your destination?
You'll have a little over 400 pounds with the weight of the tank.
But, once you start bouncing down the road the dynamics will change quickly. And momentarily you will have much more than 400 pounds which could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

It may also affect the handling of your RV.
I would carry 5 gallon jugs inside the RV, you can store them outside
When you get to your destination.

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
I'd be nervous putting that much weight on the roof. I would try to find somewhere in one of the compartments below and put lawn chairs or something like that on the roof or strapped to the ladder.
Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E