cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heading south

Wandering_Storm
Explorer
Explorer
We are heading south on Feb 1 from central Mass. Any suggestions about water and holding tanks will help us. The holding tanks except fresh water in our winnebago view are heated. The unit is winterized. Should I wait to fill etc or should I go with some fresh water in the tank and/or and some water in the holding tank. First stop is in Virginia. Hepefully above freezing there. Any suggestions will be a big help as this is our first experience doing this
12 REPLIES 12

KristinU
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with all the advice you got - play it safe and dewinterize in warmer temps.

And if you're coming back up while it is still winter remember to allow yourself time to re-winterize somewhere along the way. NOt a big deal, just remember to swing through a Wal Mart or something to get some jugs of the pink stuff to carry you through until spring hits again up here 🙂
Cheers!
Kristin
2008 Winnebago Chalet 31C
My camping party: me, DH, DS, and 2 DK9s
Our Blog: www.winnieadventures.blogspot.com

Wandering_Storm
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all. Rookies need advice and help from time to time and, believe me , we are rookies when it comes to RV travel. I am sure that I will be seeking advice again. John McDonough Feel free to visit our website...www.thepatiopack.com...It shows from whence we come...

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
super_camper has a profile indicating he has a unit (2006 Jayco Greyhawk) that advertises:

"Holding and fresh water tanks, ducted or radiant-heated"

To me that would mean all his PVC pipes, valves and drains are all in a heated enclosure. If the OP RV is so equipped then super_campers advice may be applicable.

We have a unit that is fully enclosed and receives heat from both the LPG furnace and the engine heater. We still choose to not dewinterize until we reach a warmer climate just in case we get stranded for some unknown reason while enroute. We travel at end of December and end of March.

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Heish - The problem may not be the tanks, it is the lines and shut off's that will be full of freezeable water. Some RV'rs have done just fine depending where the lines run, any exposure to the cold outdoors, how warm the interior is kept etc. As others have stated, why take the chance. It could be a costly mistake.
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

super_camper
Explorer
Explorer
Wandering view wrote:
We are heading south on Feb 1 from central Mass. Any suggestions about water and holding tanks will help us. The holding tanks except fresh water in our winnebago view are heated. The unit is winterized. Should I wait to fill etc or should I go with some fresh water in the tank and/or and some water in the holding tank. First stop is in Virginia. Hepefully above freezing there. Any suggestions will be a big help as this is our first experience doing this
We drive south every year and always de-winterize at home before leaving. We winterize again when we get home. We have been in some very cold weather and have had a freeze up in the fresh water lines a couple of times but its really not a big deal, just turn up the heat and it clears up. BTW, the few times we had a line freeze were due to a small 1 foot section that was open to the elements, since I found and fix it we have had not any more problems.

In my experience the plumbing system is just not as delicate as many think.

Heish
Explorer
Explorer
I'm interested in why water in the tanks, if not full, would be a big problem. I realize that the water will expand if frozen but certainly there is enough space for that expansion. Kinda like an ice tray... they don't crack. Now if the water freezes in the potable tank it will not pump, but how will it harm the tank? As long as it is not in the pipes what harm can be done?

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Harvard wrote:
Play it safe, not worth the hassel to take any risks. Take drinking water in bottles and use RV antifreeze to flush the commode. JMO

X2. Good suggestions. Have a great trip!
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
We drove down to Florida in February last year, and will likely do the same this year. We overnighted in Fort Mill SC, just over the line from Charlotte NC. It was cold. Avoid hooking up to water. I would strongly urge you to follow the advice from the other posts. Just take some bottled water. Use rest stops as much as possible, but if you need to use the toilet, flush with RV antifreeze. Keep your rig winterized until sure of above freezing temps. BTW, it's likely to get near freezing tonight and/or tomorrow in northern Florida.

Bob

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
I was born and raised in Va. and spent 50 of my 66 years there.
You will get freezing weather/snow in Va. until after Easter.

The closer to the coast you go, the warmer it is.

I would take a gallon jug or two of drinking water and just a few gallons of water for the toilet in the fresh water tank. Throw some pink antifreeze or even cheaper, is windshield washer fluid (it does not freeze) in the gray and black tanks.

Depending on you fresh water tank location, I seriously doubt you will have a tank problem on the trip.

I now live in North East Ga. and still look for freezing weather until
at least March/April.

I would the fill up in Fl.
The lack of weight from full tanks will also help slightly on gas millage.

Hope you have a safe trip.

Wandering_Storm
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you...Never thought of antifreeze to flush...Will do

tobydad
Explorer
Explorer
I would not fill the fresh water tank until past Virginia or until you are positive that the temp. will not go below freezing. Carry several gallons of bottled water to drink, cook, and to flush the toilet. The amount of water carried, of course, depends upon the number of people. I will be doing the same in the middle of Feb.

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
Play it safe, not worth the hassel to take any risks. Take drinking water in bottles and use RV antifreeze to flush the commode. JMO