cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Switching to 40' Pusher

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to be buying a Diesel Pusher within the next year and looking for advice on what to expect moving up from a Class C.
A little background, we have had TT's of various sizes and moved up to a 31' Class C - 4 years ago. While I have never driven a bus-sized vehicle, I'm not concerned much at all, I've towed everything from a small TT to my 42' 5th wheel race hauler. So, I'm not too concerned about learning to drive the bus. I'm looking at 40' pushers, 2008-2012 vintage, most with 330HP ISC's, 950 lbs ft, some with 400 HP ISL's, 1,200 lbs ft. Single rear axle, no tag's...mostly due to price and extra length, I have heard they drive better though.
Mostly what I'm looking for is what to expect being different than camping with a C. My wife and I are looking at retirement in 12 years or so and want to get our feet wet travelling for several weeks at a time. We don't expect to fulltime, but once retired 3-4 months during the winter we would chase the nice weather.So, besides the obvious height difference to watch out for, what else is majorly different I should be looking out for?
Thanks in Advance.
19 REPLIES 19

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Perfect
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
40 seems to be perfect, for our use.

43' seems to be too big for most camp grounds.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I won't try to talk you out of such a huge MH but I think you'll find a lot of disadvantages unless you only go to campgrounds that you know or research to see if there's even a spot for 1 that big. 10 ft. can make a lot of difference in parking and navigating gas station, parking lots, campground roads, trees, etc. Of course, when you're parked you'll have all that house like room. Not for me. We're thinking of downsizing from a 30 ft. C to a Class B and not towing.
Jayco-noslide

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
More expensive and if you keep it for 12 years even more expensive. More restricted CG sites than the C. More room inside and more storage w/o the drive shaft from the front, perhaps a FT consideration.

For limited camping for 12 years before FT we waited for a DP, and "FT" 3-5 months.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
My single axle drives really nice. Been full-time for 13 years.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer