cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
A couple weeks ago there was a "Robin Hood" I saw online out in California somewhere that looked awesome. Clean, and had all the goodies. Might have been a little longer than what you're looking for... but I was drooling over it.

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Leeann wrote:
Trish - I'll keep looking around here. Just FYI: I live 20 mins from BWI airport. So if you find something over this way, you've got an easy way to get to it, a place to stay and a mechanic and helper on standby. Okay?

Now see folks? THIS is what being in a community like this is all about!

Kudos, Leeann!!!!!!

I guess I now owe you more beer...... :B

Eric
She ain't purdy, but at least she's slow!

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
^ woohoooo!

Have a great time this weekend - wherever you end up ๐Ÿ˜‰

Trish - I'll keep looking around here. Just FYI: I live 20 mins from BWI airport. So if you find something over this way, you've got an easy way to get to it, a place to stay and a mechanic and helper on standby. Okay?
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Boy, Trish, there are a gazillion of the type of rig you're looking for out this way. Probably not PERFECT, but darn close! And as I've said before, check out Craigslist in California, heaps and heaps of clean C class's on the cheap (probably can't park the darn things in their postage-stamp sized lots).

Speedo cable issue- could simply be that you don't have it connected to teh gauge properly. Is it a threaded connector or a push-on? also, sometimes, the cable can be either too far into the tranny or too far into the gauge, causing it not to mesh with the opposite end. This is the actual cable itself, not the sheathing.

And for the selfish part of this post-

SHE'S READY! She's all buttoned back up, double checked, battery on the charge, etc. When I get home tonight, I'll put the battery in, some gas in, and fire the old girl up!!!!!!!!!!! (of course, I never did find the 2 brass screws that are in her somewhere, I'll worry about that when the time comes).

So, I'm all excited! WOO-HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eric
She ain't purdy, but at least she's slow!

Trish_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Leeann wrote:
Trish - I don't know how much you're looking to spend or how far you're willing to go, but....

Thanks, Leeann.

No to the Winnie, no Class As --be like you're married to it.

The Coshocton, OH Midas is "okay" but I'd like to give less. It doesnt' need anything huge, just time-consuming and time is the thing I need more of.

Last one is gone, fellow said he sold it locally --it was on my 'eBay Watch List."

What I do want:
Pre-'81 1-ton, historical plates means avoid the "weight-per-axle" Ohio thing.

Counties here (OH) are phasing in the "E-Check" ..I avoid that with the Merc ('41) and soon with the bike ('85 Rebel) and S-10 ('84 w/39K original miles).

Not over 23'! Need to pull my bike and boat (Avon S250 inflatable) plus its 2 outboards. Plus the "stuff" you need: gas cans, water cans, blocks, jacks, portable propane stove, you-name-it.

Things I don't want:
Slide outs.
AC not necessary. Working heat /defrost IS necessary.
Electrical nightmares --I have seen a few of these the last weeks.

Will spend up to five --if it's perfect.
Distance... well, I was planning on driving it all over the continent, so it'd better make it from Wherever to the Ohio Valley easily.

In '84, my dad sold the '60 Avion he bought in '61 as a leftover.
20ft, perfect trailer, we never (ever!) used the holding tank.
I know there are "perfect" RVs out there, one-owner things that've been properly maintained all the way around.

One of those is what I'm looking for.
Wish me luck... this search could take awhile.

Cenote
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the comments.

Do the captains chairs fold forward at all? I would love to be able to swivel them but the backs hit the sides of the couch and the dinette.

Here is a nice transstar for sale in Seattle Trish:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/rvs/396396089.html
***1980 19' American Clipper 719F Luxur Van w/440***

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
The only other thing I'd think was the sender on the tranny might not be plugged in any more...so I guess, if everything's plugged into the gauge cluster securely and everything else works, check the OTHER end of the cable.

Yep, I like working on her....I do the regular maintenance stuff; if I get stuck on something bigger, I can hand it over to him to finish :B - and I'm the tool helper on the bigger stuff I wouldn't attempt on my own. The bf's father was a mechanic and owned a garage while he was growing up - and is an excellent teacher.

I do all the maintenance on my cars, too.

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
Leeann...

I don't have the RV in front of me... off having the LP tested... but everything else on the dash works... fuel, temp, oil, DC, etc... just the speedo odometer trip... Everything was securly connected when I checked it last night. Not sure if that narrows it down or not.

75Americanclipp
Explorer
Explorer
that is it, I think you know more and I bet you work on your RV too, wish My wife would, but I got her in to NASCAR and learning about the old cars, I was working on my comet and she came out and sat down and watch what I was doing and she was fine. I thought to my self saying what a cool wife. jc

Leeann wrote:
Factory service manuals are wonderful things :W

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Factory service manuals are wonderful things :W

75Americanclipp
Explorer
Explorer
hey Leeann how do you all this stuff, JC

you good

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
eyeteeth wrote:
Thanks..

79 (or 78) 440. I know it's fairly straight forward, I had done it before on my old Bronco... so I think I could pull this one off and save myself some $$$

Real easy - so easy there are no photos in the svc manual.

1. Disconnect spark plug wires.

2. Disconnect closed ventilation system and evaporation control system from cylinder head cover.

3. Remove cylinder head cover and gasket.

Installation is the reverse of removal; torque spec is 40 inch-pounds.

iirc, there are 6 whole bolts on each side in the cover.

As far as the speedo....

There are 3 things connected to the back of the gauge cluster: speedo cable, printed circuit board multiple connector and ammeter gauge electrical leads. Make sure they're all connected and seated properly.

There's also a fusible link under the hood - make sure it's not blown.

Oh! And make sure there's a ground wire properly connected to the gauge cluster and grounded well on the other end - bad or missing grounds were 3/4 of the electrical issues on ours. Wire should be white with a black stripe...

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
Alrighty... one more request to make. Apparently, while working on stuff with the dash apart, I did something to speedo. Everything looks like it's connected properly, but I get no speed, no odometer, and no trip meter. I think I may have pulled the speedo cable loose somewhere and it pull through the firewall fairly easily.

Any ideas, suggestions, or pics? I need to track down a service manual, I have every other manual for the unit...

Thanks again.

75Americanclipp
Explorer
Explorer
ok I test my RV this last sat and guess what it went ok to Sacomento, then on the way back it started all over again acts like it not getting gas or somthing, then I had to get more gas and the RV was Cruising 65 to 70, but 60 was better cause 75 is way to fast for my RV, so anyway it still does it but the first 150 miles was great then on the way home not great, man I need something what?????

JC