cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
Another weekend... and YEAH!!! much more work done!

We Finished the floor. We were able to raise the "shower" wall, and get a frame support AND floor back under it!
We got the perimiter frame back on AND replaced framing for everything we could reach that needed it.
We installed linoleum on the foor for what will be the bath, and under the bunk beds.
We took the opportunity, and raised the back end to what we "think" was the original hieght. Hard to tell just how much it sank from the rot.
Lastly... I made use of some CPES from the Rot Doctor on some stuff I just couldn't get too, and around openings.

Before...

After...

With any luck... next weekend comes panelling.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Yessssss!

I love engine parts presents :B

...I love being able to use my rig even more ๐Ÿ˜‰
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Ya know? That Summit Racing ROCKS!

We just got home from shopping, and low and behold, there is a big ol' box sitting there! I ordered the stuff Thursday night, and it's here Saturday morning! How cool is that? :B

So, now I can start the minor surgery on the old 360 in the Tioga and actually, maybe get to start using it!!!!

WOO-HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
She ain't purdy, but at least she's slow!

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Hehehehehe - short visits are just fine :B

Aw, hell! If I'd known you were cooking....don't even mention the beer....

I have Carl Monroe's book, actually. And the factory service manual for our rig, too. I've already added the deeper pan and filter extender kit to it, and we have a bigger cooler to add to it at the same time (it had 2 itty-bitty little ones they put in when they replaced the rad with one that doesn't have a tranny cooler).

๐Ÿ˜‰

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Detroit???? Who actually GOES there? :B Have fun at the game! You'll be missed, but we'll be thinkin' of ya! You're gonna miss it, I'm doing the cooking!

727 is a wonderful transmission to rebuild, piece of cake! Carl Monroe's book on the tranny is a life saver, too, if you don't already have it.

Add the deeper pan to it, and run another cooler for it, and you should never have to be concerned about it again!:W

Eric

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, Eric!

Not mine, either...the 727 exploded (we have first & reverse...sorta). Fortunately, I've got a big-block 727 (factory rebuilt) sittin' in the back of the B250, so we're going to take 'em both apart and use what's good from both to make a new, better tranny.

Just got the invite yesterday :C

I'll actually be in Detroit that weekend visiting my best friend - we're going to a Tigers game that night.

I wish I could make it :S

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm, thread's quiet. I guess all of these old Dodges are out on the road being used as intended!

Not mine though...

But things are FINALLY looking up! I should be getting my new cam, lifters, and double roller timing chain on Monday from Summit Racing, so I can FINALLY get the old girl running all proper-like!

WOO-HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :B

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Yay!

Great progress! With a few extra hands helping, you should have her done in no time :C

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
Wow... awesome weekend for RV work. I had it out at a friends place, and FINALLY had a couple of extra hands helping out. (Plus the neighbors had to be happy since it wasn't in our driveway for the time being.

We got a bunch of the siding trim off, started pulling out the original rotted sub floor framing, stud, and then wall framing.
Cut the lag bolts that held the wall and floor to the frame.
Got the last two destroyed bolts off that were holding the black tank on and dropped that.
Then we started cutting some sheet metal to cover the portions of the belly pan that had rusted out or corroded and screwed them in place. (This will later be further repaired with eternabond and expanding foam, but not yet.)
Patched a few holes under where the grey tank will go as a test. ๐Ÿ™‚
Replaced the outer sub floor framing, and a few joists.
Added new insulation, and even started putting some of the floor back in.
Lastly... propped up the slightly sagging rear end with new support until we can get back to work on it next weekend.

I can't begin to tell you all how exited I have to have finally turned the corner, and to actually be putting things back INTO the camper.

I even took more pics of the progress...

Big_John1
Explorer
Explorer
Goatmaiden wrote:
Originally, when I started the vehicle on June 1, the tickticktick noise was instant and constant when idle and moving. I drove only a short distance, when the vehicle died. The noise sounded like a belt or something was going flapflapflap -- not overly metalic. Then, after it died, I put on the hazard lights. They flashed for about 2 minutes, then totally died. When I turn the key now, there is nothing more than one soft click. Starter has been replaced, engine turns by hand.

Let's just address the no start problem first.

If it won't turn over, and the flashers died quickly, then you most likely have a bad or discharged battery. Other possibilities are bad cables or terminals. You may have a bad alternator or regulator that did not charge the battery.

Have the battery checked or try jumping the battery with another vehicle.

Go for the simple stuff first.

65CrewCabPW
Explorer
Explorer
Man, that's hard to say... but it sure sounds like you had a circuit breaker jumping on and off rapidly, and then finally, the fusible link let go.

Now, WHERE that link is on a class A? OMG, I have no idea...

but, I would trace the heavy battery leads from the engine battery, the positive one, and it likely has some tie point with at least one or two other smaller wires connecting to it. This is likely a relay, but could also be at the starter solenoid.

Between one and all of these wires will ahve a section of flexible wire attached to it and if burned out, may actually look melted or even open the wire to the air, exposed.

This is likely where you lost power at.

Other options would be burned out ground wire or wires that run between the battery and chassis ground and your wiring harness inside.

Well, I know there's more possibilities, but that seems a likely option.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Mopars forever... Not German, Japanese, Chinese...American Mopars!
The price of freedom is higher than the price of slavery, but it's still a bargain!

Goatmaiden
Explorer
Explorer
Originally, when I started the vehicle on June 1, the tickticktick noise was instant and constant when idle and moving. I drove only a short distance, when the vehicle died. The noise sounded like a belt or something was going flapflapflap -- not overly metalic. Then, after it died, I put on the hazard lights. They flashed for about 2 minutes, then totally died. When I turn the key now, there is nothing more than one soft click. Starter has been replaced, engine turns by hand.
1978 23' C class KIT ROADRANGER
Dodge 440

65CrewCabPW
Explorer
Explorer
A bit more information, please. The "click".. Is it a repeated, fast click, or does it just do one soft sharp "click" when you twist the key to start?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Mopars forever... Not German, Japanese, Chinese...American Mopars!
The price of freedom is higher than the price of slavery, but it's still a bargain!

Goatmaiden
Explorer
Explorer
sorry - slow internet - dup post
Dodge 440

Goatmaiden
Explorer
Explorer
Goatmaiden wrote:
SADDNESS!

I think Bertha, our MH, just developed the "tick of death." I drove her to Camping World (about 15 miles) to pick up something, got back in after a few minutes and once I got her started, heard a "tick tick tick" sound at idle that got faster when I pressed the accelerator. I drove just down the road, concentrating on the sound. Then turned around to try to make it back to Camping World. She died in the middle of the road. Luckilly (hey, I'll take any luck I can get at this point) she died right in front of a Dodge dealership! So we got some guys to push her into the parking lot and they will look at her on Monday. GLUM. Anyone wanna take their guesses as to what it will be??? ๐Ÿ˜ž

FYI -- the motor is fine. RV still won't start. Replacing rotor, distrib cap and wires.... just clicks when the key is turned. ideas?
Dodge 440