cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many use HAM vs C/B for rig to rig etc?

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Ladies and Gents,
The subject of C/Bs gets brought up every so often and is debated whether or not folks still install and use them. But, not many mention too much about HAM radios. I know and understand that the use of HAM radios requires a license as, I have one. I've had it for 8 years and have dabbled only a small amount in it. But, from my short experimentation with HAM so far, mostly at home with a small hand held handy talkie but, also a tad bit of use of a mobile unit in one of my vehicles, I've found it to be considerably stronger in signal and capabilities.

There's all kinds of technical reasons why they perform better and I won't go into them now. But, this post is primarily for those who have experience with HAM radios, maybe use them from RV to RV while traveling and or, also my use them in say, Jeep to Jeep while venturing off road. My level of license is TECHNICIAN and, there are two levels higher.

For those of you that care and or, are wondering, the higher the level of license, the more frequencies you can use, different ranges, and a whole lot more.

While traveling in groups, even two or more, C/Bs in the past have been outstandingly helpful and, whether or not I (and anyone I may travel with, on or off road)migrate over to HAM radios for the same basic communications, remains to be seen.

For anyone interested, acquiring the first level of HAM license is phenomenally simple. There is no longer (and hasn't been for quite a few years)a requirement to know Morse Code. There are classes all over the U.S. that are one day classes and, at the end of the session, you take your 35 question test and, are issued your license. The folks that volunteer for teaching and helping administrate those sessions are outstanding people.

Anyway, just wondering, just how many might already be using HAM radios for coach to coach, Jeep to Jeep type communications and how do you like it vs the old "C/B" stuff?
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND
68 REPLIES 68

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
time_to_go_now wrote:
Nobody has mentioned the race radios? Like from PCI or Ruggedradios? I have a group of about ten rigs that travel together. We used to use CB's. That works for just a small caravan. But, if all ten were running together, there would be problems getting from the front to back. So, we all moved to race radios. We have them in our motorhomes, tow vehicles, and sand toys. The 50 watt radios are amazing how far they can get out. Easily 25 miles, and it is not line of sight. They get out over mountains and sand dunes. When we go out 4wheeling for the day, they can monitor us in base camp. Actually needed them to save us last year!

OP here,
My son has one of those "Race Radios". It's an "I-com" and, as of yet, I'm not sure what the story is on those. I'm not sure what band or frequency they operate on and, whether or not any or all of them are legal or not to operate on the bands and frequencies they do. Nobody's taken the time to explain to me, just what the story is on those, are the HF, FM, UHF, what? He doesn't really know, he just went along with the off road group he pits for and, bought the same one that most of them have and use.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

time_to_go_now
Explorer
Explorer
Nobody has mentioned the race radios? Like from PCI or Ruggedradios? I have a group of about ten rigs that travel together. We used to use CB's. That works for just a small caravan. But, if all ten were running together, there would be problems getting from the front to back. So, we all moved to race radios. We have them in our motorhomes, tow vehicles, and sand toys. The 50 watt radios are amazing how far they can get out. Easily 25 miles, and it is not line of sight. They get out over mountains and sand dunes. When we go out 4wheeling for the day, they can monitor us in base camp. Actually needed them to save us last year!
Jim and Deanna

2008 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA FRED
2007 Carson Trailer 22' Titan TH
Trailer Toad
Me, Wife, Boy/22, Boy/19, Girl/17
1985 Toyota 4Runner
TWO quads, THREE kids, TWO motorcycles, ONE wife, TWO dogs, ONE cat, TWO Polaris RZR's

MewshawManor
Explorer
Explorer
TragedyTrousers wrote:
I thought Ham Radio was pretty much a dead or dying hobby. With the advent of cellphones and internet it pretty much killed it off.

Quite opposite. In 25 years of being licensed, I have seen the number of amateur radio operators in the US grow.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Passin Thru wrote:
Ham. Had my call letters 12 yr, my wife has hers. I have a CB but am sick of drivers dropping the F bomb. It's just a reflection on their IQ.
I agree with your CB post! Most of the large trucking companies don't allow there drivers swearing because it reflects on there image. The company that I worked for you did that (swearing over the air) you were fired. I've also noticed most people that swear are angry people!

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
And when the current skip cycle erodes away, whats left ? : Locals.
Scott's post was about CB vs. Ham (rig to rig), and the really infers: Apples to Apples that we should be talking local communications, and thats everything above 2 meters.

As far as RV HF is concerned, one of the most impressive things I've seen was the Ham area in Quartzsite. There were HF antennas popping out from everywhere as far as you could see.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
From Florida, I just worked Mexico and several stations in Texas on 6 meter SSB this past weekend. Back in February and March, I worked hundreds of stations on 160 meters with a simple wire inverted L antenna. That's about as low band as you can get. In Florida, 160 meters gets noisy during the summer because of thunderstorms but I continue to work 80 meters into Europe all year long during the evenings. I was on 80 meters last night and worked a station in Wales and Sable Island on 40 meters.

It's not just the weekends that stations are on the air but you obviously have more activity on weekends then you do during the week. Unfortunately, some of us still have to work! ๐Ÿ™‚

The Tampa bay area has dozens of repeaters that are active all day long. To say the bands are empty is just not true. I have been licensed since 1995 and I have never turned on the radio and gone to one of the HF ham bands and not heard at least several stations. Some bands might be dead during low sunspot activity (6 and 10 meters) but 6 meters in open a lot during the summer months with sporatic E conditions.

Anyway, sorry for getting off topic but I didn't want a non-ham to think the bands are empty because that is simply not the case. If I can think of it when I get home, I will take a picture of some of the bands from my panadapter on my Flex-radio and you will see all the signals on the band.

Burch
K4QXX
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
MetalGator wrote:
SCVJeff wrote:
The question is how many are still active? The bands are empty these days... All of them.

Huh? The bands aren't empty? I work the HF bands on the weekends and they are full of stations. I also talk to my HAM friends on my daily commute to work everyday. Not sure what bands you are referring to.

Burch
K4QXX
ALL of them. It's pretty hard to gauge the low bands since you can hear the entire planet in many cases, and they are obviously all operating over the weekend so that's a poor gauge. But simply turn on anything above 6 Meters and the answer is obvious if you have been on those bands for any length of time. There are a few 2 meter repeater exceptions, but 2, 220, 440, and 1.2 are, and have been in trouble since cellphones evolved. I should know.... A friend of mine and myself built and owned 2ea. 220 repeaters, and 5ea. UHF repeaters, all linked, all with full remote control systems complete with remote base and telephone, covering from Santa Barbara to San Diego, all the way to Banning, and the Palmdale, Landcaster, Victorville/ Barstow areas all the way to the Nevada border, probably 1000+ sq. miles. No small feat as the OP will verify.

With over 100 members on the system, it like many many others slowly eroded away due to the evolution of communication. I travel all over this country for business and finally gave up on the HT because it's the same story everywhere.

Not poo-poo'ing the hobby, but I can guarantee you that just because there may be more licensed Hams than ever doesn't mean they are close to being active.

(edit: poor morning iPhone post)
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a 144/222/432MHZ mobile FM radio that I have installed in my truck. I can't say I have talked to other RV'ers on the road but I always talk to other HAMs on the radio when I travel. On longer road trips, I install an HF radio and I can talk to stations all over the world from my truck. The sun spot cycle is down right now but still a lot of stations world wide to work. I just worked Saudi Arabia and Oman this weekend on 20 meters. Who ever says the bands are empty are not turning on their radios or don't have very good antennas!

Burch
K4QXX

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
SCVJeff wrote:
The question is how many are still active? The bands are empty these days... All of them.

Huh? The bands aren't empty? I work the HF bands on the weekends and they are full of stations. I also talk to my HAM friends on my daily commute to work everyday. Not sure what bands you are referring to.

Burch
K4QXX

w4phj
Explorer
Explorer
I use all ham HF bands including D*Star while mobile or parked.

Ham radio is a great hobby and growing. I love it.

Licensed since 1958.
2021 Winnebago View 24J
2021 Ram pick up
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ham Radio Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
Ham radio is different now than in the old days. Some of us old timers" remember working 80 / 40 / 20 meter phone. Many of us built our first rigs an then when we had some coin bought a Heath kit DX-40 transmitter kit and a used receiver. I still have my DX-40 and Halicrafters SX-101 receiver. The rich folks had Collins equipment. ๐Ÿ™‚

As years passed I got into RTTY and amateur television. I passed my First Class Radio Telephone exam at age 19 and after college made my living in the communications industry until retirement a few years ago. Maybe a new Kenwood rig will be in my future next winter - for now I am learning cabinet making.
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Ham. Had my call letters 12 yr, my wife has hers. I have a CB but am sick of drivers dropping the F bomb. It's just a reflection on their IQ.

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Scott,
Getting a HAM license is something I've been considering as cell phone service has been spotty at best in many of our destinations.

I have and use my CB often. With that said, I have talked to many truckers when refueling and some of the older gents said the younger drivers do not really use them as they prefer cell phones.

They are nice to have for traffic updates etc.

Take care

A ham license today means only a written test..all the way from enty level to the most highest levels. Morse Code has been done away with
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Well Gang,
OP here. In all the past threads about "who uses" "who installs" "how do I install" "Where's the wires" and much more pertaining to C/B radios, it sure looks like many folks out there still use them. It's for different purposes, times, ranges and situations. But, the 'ole C/B is still alive and well.

As for HAM, apparently it too is used on a fairly frequent basis. While I am a HAM, and did past the test to achieve Technician about 8 years ago, I've since forgotten many of the things I needed to learn about in order to take the test and acquire that license. This "2, 10, 11, and more" meter thing has always perplexed me. Frequency, waves, spectrum, BAND, and a lot more, have to be embedded into my brain for a better understanding of how things work.

Electronics, unlike wood working, welding, plastics, mechanics, engines and anything else in this world that I can touch, feel and see, is INVISIBLE! I cannot SEE electronics. So, learning or, trying to learn about all this frequency, air waves, bands, gain antennas, 1/4 wave, short wave, watts and a zillion other terms pertaining to HAM stuff, is kind-a hard for an old goat like me.

I think that some of the group that we travel with are migrating over to HAM for even standard rig to rig communication so, I thought I'd try and know what I'm talking about when we're sitting around at the campfire. Not easy. I just spoke with a tester today who's pushing me to the "General" license, say's it's easy. That remains to be seen.

But, I want to thank all of you who've responded to this C/B vs HAM use thread. It's been an education for sure.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

Airstreamer67
Explorer
Explorer
I use the CB for what it's best at: immediate, short-range communication about road situations from people right at the site you are coming to. There's no other communication device as valuable for this specific purpose, and you don't even need to be staring at a screen while driving to use it.

Example: Just last week I was Eastbound approaching Bonnet Carre spillway leading to New Orleans over Lake Pontchartrain and both lanes of traffic suddenly came to a relative crawl. I heard a Westbound trucker on Channel 19 say something about seeing a cop and lights on the other side. Several minutes later, another trucker asked what the hold-up was about for Eastbound traffic. No answer. Several more minutes passed, and I finally got to the site of the problem, which consisted of a pickup truck breakdown with a cop helping protect the scene with his flashing lights. I reported what I was seeing on Channel 19, and a trucker asked "which lane?" I told him it was in the breakdown lane on the right, but that both lanes of traffic were being allowed to pass slowly.

Now, this information was not that particularly important, but it was of interest to at least one trucker, and I suspect others listening as well. Truckers are always worried about being in a lane that is stopped up ahead, and it's hard for an 18-wheeler and RVers in a motorhome or towing a long trailer to switch lanes in a traffic jam. Sucn information can be quite valuable to them, and the only way I know of to get it is with the lowly ole CB on Channel 19.

Unfortunately, many truckers don't utilize it anymore. But many still do, and I can personally testify that several were tuned-in on the Bonnet Carre spillway heading Eastbound to New Orleans and Westbound away from the city last week.