cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change a grab handle light bulb

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
How do you change the grab handle light bulb. I've got two handles, one on the outside and it works well. I also have an inside handle. It does not light up at present. I think it should.

Does anyone have a coach similar to mine and know how to change the bulb (if it has a light in it)? Does a generic Amazon LED replacement bulb fit or is it something special?

2002 Monaco Windsor
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C
3 REPLIES 3

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
THe method I used for fixing my LED handle light may no longer be possible depending on where you live.. You will see why in a bit.

First remove the handle. Depending on who made it the light will be in either the top or bottom mounting.. In many cases there will be a 'Disconnect" just behind the mount.. Tie a string or clamp the wires RV side of the disconnect to insure they do not get lost while you have it on the bench (Picnic table makes a good bench)

IF LED.. Measure the value of hte resistor with a multi-meter. Mine was 150 ohms. it is now 450 ohms THIS IS IMPORTANT.

I got a new LED at Radio Shack (That's the impossible part) I can only give you ON LINE sources for LED's now days (All ELectronics). unless one of the few remaining Shacks is near you.

Carefully De-solder the old LED, and insert the new. bend leads slighty and TEST. NOTE: if you put it in backwards. NO LIGHT If it works, Solder and clip the leads and re-assemble.

Now I've done two RV's Mine and Fred's (you need not knwo who Fred is)

Mine had a polorized connector in the wall so I had to test and then solder

Freds has two non-polorized so I was able to solder then hook up ... Test,, and reverse if needed.

My original LED lasted just a year or so. the first replacement (Same resistor) even less. the second replacement (New resistor) is like 10 years now and still going strong. I* also went with a JUMBO, HIGH BRIGHTENESS LED (Had to drill the hole in the reflector a bit larger) but that's all optional.

Oh you can also choose the color.

If you wish to post the specifications (Forward current and forward voltage) of your LED I can calc the proper resistor but 450 to 500 should work for MOST leds.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
My bulb (LED) is also in the top of the grab handle. Remove the chrome top and you should find the bulb assembly there. I used this one:

RV Grab Handle Light Bulb
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

Bruce_Brown
If it's like ours, and I assume it is, unscrew the top handle holder - you'll find the bulb in there. The bulb should be a standard bulb, you'll just need to figure out which one it is. It should have a number on it somewhere.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910