cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Im New here, needing help with water damage!

vianeyz17
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I recently inherited a 1997 Discover motor home. It is a Fiberglass one and We have ripped out the wall that had water damage and have removed the window. What are my next steps? Fiberglass wall seems good in tact however you can see that the water damage was bad, how can I repair this? do i use a fiberglass primer before installing isolation? Do I use faced insulation or batt? Im assuming ill then apply plywood paneling after?

I did already seal rubber roof with SEALBEST elastomeric roof coating and added tape around the screws on top of rv.

Please looking to get as much tips/ help possible.

7 REPLIES 7

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
My one repair I worked from the inside and duplicated the original wall sandwich of materials as best I could with available materials. Fiberglass exterior, 3/16" tempered board, 1" ridged foam insulation and final interior 3/16" tempered board.

Each layer is held in place with two part epoxy. Used a lot of epoxy but I also looking at the epoxy as a water proofing as tempered board and water can be a problem. With a bit of luck the repairs will out last the coach. The hardest part was coming up with a clamping plan to hold everything in place for 24 hours while the epoxy set up.

Pictures of the project. The leak was at the stove vent.

Total Boat 2 Part Epoxy Kit
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
vianeyz17 wrote:
Are you talking about the spray foam? Not to cut into the foam once its sprayed on?

Yes. If you cut it and it is exposed to moisture in any way the cells will fill and soon mold may rear its ugly head.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
Go on YouTube and look for RV delamination repair You should find a lot of info

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Remove and reseal everything exterior - lights, windows, etc.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

vianeyz17
Explorer
Explorer
Are you talking about the spray foam? Not to cut into the foam once its sprayed on?

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you considered not repairing the water damage? You'll be putting in a bunch of work for an RV (and all its systems) that is 25 years old. If you want a project...go for it. If you want to go camping...
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would use closed cell spray foam. DO NOT MAKE ANY CUTS TO THE FOAM.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.