cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Internal Squeks and Squeals

Downunda
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new rig and have managed to eliminate most of the rattles and noises except some squeaks and squeals caused from body movement when in transit. They are coming from behind internal moldings and fascia covers where it seems that cabinetry is rubbing on plastic or similar frame materials.

I know where they are and how to get to them and I reckon the way to fix them is to probably spray some sort of stuff into the joints concerned that would provide a lubricating function between the two rubbing materials.

The only thing I can think of using is silicone spray and was seeking ideas and suggestions in case a more suitable product is available.

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10

Downunda
Explorer
Explorer
A quick note to all who helped... we are now on our first long trip since I last posted and I am glad to report that putting strips of felt between the plastic trim pieces has indeed fixed the squeaking noise. Thanks again for all of your suggestions.
Downunda - Melbourne Australia

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
If you can get in between the two surfaces that you suspect are making noise, cutting pieces of an old bicycle inner tube and inserting them between the surfaces is a cheap fix. Then refasten them. The more rigid the surfaces, the better this works. There are different grades (read thickness) of bike tubes to take up excess slack should it be necessary or you can just layer the rubber to the needed thickness.

Chum lee

Downunda
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so far... today I removed some of the cab trim, specifically that that wraps the edge of the cabover bed. After removing the trim I could now see into the areas where the cabover frame adjoins the house. There was more than adequate felt like material between the two surfaces, so no worries there.

However,the plastic trim pieces that cover and wrap the edge of the cabover bed are able to rub against each other and against the adjoining cabinets. I found that by giving them a twist or a nudge I was getting squeaking noises.

It was easy enough to fix lengths of felt on all touching surfaces and now there is no plastic to plastic or plastic to timber contact.

One can only hope that this solves the squeaking noises we were experiencing.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
I have found squeaks in places that where different than where I thought they were coming from. On one coach I was convinced the overhead cabinets were the problem. It ended up being the driver side window. On another coach I was sure I had a rattle from one of the slides, ended up being the dash. Noise in the front of a coach can sometimes be in places different from where they seem to be coming from. I hate trying to nail them down. I wish you luck.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Along withe the stray, when you find loose screws, take it out and put some glue on the threads and put back in. I have very good success with that.

Downunda
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll report back on how it turns out... will be a while though!

MrWizard
I would lean towards Teflon spray rather than silicone.

this

white Teflon dry lube, goes on wet ?
carrier evaps. and leaves white Teflon dry lube
you can wipe it off any exposed surface
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the cabinets or whatever are attached with screws or bolts that you can get at, try making sure they are entirely snugged down. Sometimes they can work a microscopic bit loose and let things rub and squeak. (This is especially common on the cabover structure of some class C's where the truck cab and the bunk board join together, but certainly not exclusive to that location.)

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Silicone may work, but I found the most effective method was to insert felt material between rubbing surfaces. The DW is very sensitive to rattles and squeaks and I'm constantly on the hunt for issues.

I would lean towards Teflon spray rather than silicone.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I too reckon that silicone spray might work.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad