cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inverter question

jwiz7
Explorer
Explorer
After putting in a set of new 6v batteries hooked in series my inverter started to hum or buzz. Anyone have an idea what would cause this? Batteries were hooked up exactly like the old set. Thank you
6 REPLIES 6

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
It could be the new batteries need to be brought up to full charge and the charging circuit of your inverter/converter is working harder than normal to do that. Do you know what the voltage of the battery bank is when no charge is being applied? Above 12.6 indicates a full charge and 12.1 is 50% discharged.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hooking up 6VDC batteries just like before sometimes doesn't work. You need to find the + and - markings on the battery case and wire those up the same as before... Sometimes the newer batteries have the terminals in different locations even with the same brand of batteries...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
First we need to know what device it is.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

fairway2002
Explorer
Explorer
I could see it working harder with lower charge. Not sure what setup you have. But I had to change what size batteries I had in charger/inverter program.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Most inverters do hum or buzz somewhat. It's the 60 Hz power they are making (or using) that causes this.
Did it not hum before?

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking you mean converter. Your inverter inverts 12 volt power to 120 for use when you are not plugged in. Your converter takes the power from the plugged in wire, and inside the converter is a battery charger. If it is humming or buzzing, perhaps it is charging your new batteries.

Your converter also powers up all the 12 volt appliances, and it can hum while it is doing that too.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel