cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

It fits....

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
For the last 7 years we have made towing a motorcycle behind our 24' class C a huge part of our RV experience. We head out seeking not only great camping but the finest motorcycle roads the west has to offer. We set up in a nice CG and roll out every morning exploring, often one of the many national Parks {did Yellowstone and Grand Teton last June} and trust me, the best way to see any NP is from the back of a bike but I digress.

About a month ago I made the switch from my Indian Springfield to a Can Am Spyder. My bride and I are 70 and 69 years old and pushing an 875# motorcycle was likely to become problematic at some point so reluctantly we moved to the stability and comfort of three wheels. My research included a lot of measuring to be sure our new ride would fit in our 6 X 10' cargo trailer and it was going to be close.

I moved the cable anchors on the load ramp as far outboard as possible buying me another 2" and that seems to have made all the difference. With winter weather keeping the Spyder garage bound today was my first opportunity to verify it would fit in the cargo trailer and happily it does... just barely. I have about 1" of clearance getting past the cables and after that it's all good. The cargo trailer keeps the Spyder out of the weather as well as out of the view of the bad guys, nice to have a custom garage that follows the coach like a faithful puppy. The Spyder weighs 998# and the trailer is 1200# keeping us well under the GVWR of 2,990.

Now we can look forward to continuing our formerly 2 wheel/now 3 wheel adventures, returning to the all of the comforts of home in our coach after every ride.

:B
18 REPLIES 18

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
In addition to the twin saddlebags there are front and rear trunks that hold a ton of gear. We haven't gotten to ride as much as we like due to the weather but are looking forward to spring, summer and fall. We will be heading up tot the Rockies of southern Colorado this summer for our annual camp/ride trip with a week or so on the San Juan River at the Riverside RV Park just outside of Pagosa Springs.

Here is a shot taken on a previous trip when we were riding the Indian:

:B

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't realize how wide the Can Am's are at the back. Synthetic "saddle bags"? Glad it fits, looks like fun. :C
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
VERY nice tricycle! I know exactly what you mean about sight-seeing in national parks in the "OPEN".

We never did the "motorcycle" route, rather the "2-seat convertible" route. We towed a 2000 MR2 Spyder m/t for two years. What a joy to sight-see with the top down. It was a very easy tow vehicle. We had to give it up because we found ourselves taking it on 4x4 trails through dry river washes and such to get to trail heads. During our second trip, we made the decision to replace it with a 4x4. The defining moment was when we parked with nothing but Jeep Wranglers at a trail head....the looks we got were priceless. Here was our MR2 in tow.

We own a 2007 Saturn Sky m/t today. The gears in my head are turning thinking just maybe.....take it on trips where we won't be doing off-roading. Blue-Ox makes a setup for it's sister the Pontiac Solstice. It would be an experiment to say the least.

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
Great execution and nice plan. Enjoy