cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kohler generator racing

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a Kohler generator 5KCM21 generator that will start but won't idle down once started. The manual says it has an electronic governor so I can't see any springs like on a lawn mower. I can put my finger on it to move it and it will idle down. I have the operators manual but it does not address this problem. Can this be adjusted?
29 REPLIES 29

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Born To Travel wrote:
Yes, The exact same.. I had to put a new starter in mine.. Easy job when it is out... Pain to change when in.. Your problem could be as simple as the speed sensor needs cleaned, But it is hard to say until you look it over...
Where is the speed sensor, I can't see it in the link? is it the same thing as the magnetic pick up sensor. I don't think I can get to it without removing the shroud?

Born_To_Travel
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, The exact same.. I had to put a new starter in mine.. Easy job when it is out... Pain to change when in.. Your problem could be as simple as the speed sensor needs cleaned, But it is hard to say until you look it over...

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Born To Travel wrote:
Your gen has an all electrical governor, not mechanical.. Here is who I deal with for Kohler parts for my gen, They are great to deal with and are in eastern Pa. Maybe give them a call and see what they say...http://www.partsfortechs.com/asapcart/page.html?chapter=0&id=6
Thanks for these two links. The first one I don't quite understand how to test it. But I can certainly call on Monday. Do you have the same genset?

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Have you looked for any small springs laying around? Just one of them popping off, or breaking, which I have had happen, will allow the linkage to pull the other way and either speed the engine up, or slow it down. Spring are not painted and they will rust and break. You generator has a few years on it so it may very well be a busted spring.
That is the first thing I did seeing I could get it to slow down with moving the actuator with my finger. The governor is electronic so I don't think there are any springs. In the link that born to travel posted I did not see any.

Born_To_Travel
Explorer
Explorer
Your gen has an all electrical governor, not mechanical.. Here is who I deal with for Kohler parts for my gen, They are great to deal with and are in eastern Pa. Maybe give them a call and see what they say...http://www.partsfortechs.com/asapcart/page.html?chapter=0&id=6

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
jplante4 wrote:
Wait a minute. Maybe I'm missing something here, but why would you expect a generator to idle? It needs to run at 1800 RPM to generate 60 Hz of AC. If it were 'idling' it would be a problem.
I have used the generator for 10 years I know when the engine is racing it is not being governed to the proper rpm.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wait a minute. Maybe I'm missing something here, but why would you expect a generator to idle? It needs to run at 1800 RPM to generate 60 Hz of AC. If it were 'idling' it would be a problem.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have you looked for any small springs laying around? Just one of them popping off, or breaking, which I have had happen, will allow the linkage to pull the other way and either speed the engine up, or slow it down. Spring are not painted and they will rust and break. You generator has a few years on it so it may very well be a busted spring.

Born_To_Travel
Explorer
Explorer

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Executive wrote:
Reading the title made me think of NASCAR of generators....:B.

The fact it operated ok after spraying it with WD40 makes me think you've got some gunk etc. where it shouldn't be. Cleaning it thoroughly will most likely get you back up and running correctly. Won't cost you much to do and if you have to take it in, the mechanic will appreciate it....Dennis
Unfortunately my spraying turned out to be a red herring. I sprayed it overnight with PB blaster and the Gen set still races. I am wondering if the fuel pump is not getting enough gas to the carb and the governor is overcompensating for it?

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
No just a regular old (1996) generator. This is a first time problem.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Reading the title made me think of NASCAR of generators....:B.

The fact it operated ok after spraying it with WD40 makes me think you've got some gunk etc. where it shouldn't be. Cleaning it thoroughly will most likely get you back up and running correctly. Won't cost you much to do and if you have to take it in, the mechanic will appreciate it....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can't find much info about that generator on the net.
Is it inverter generator?
Those usually have load switch, that will put it on high idle.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
hershey wrote:
Not familiar with a Kohler generator but: My Onan never does go to idle. It has to rev to meet the load. Just a knee jerk evaluation here but: when your first start it, it will probably be under a load just supplying power to the converter which would be charging your batteries.
By idle down, has it always acted this way or is it something new that it has developed? Or is it a new generator experience to you?
It just started last night, my GS held the switch in longer than normal to get it to start when started it just started to race. I shut it down sprayed the governer area with WD40 thinking it would loosed it up. Started it the next morning and it seemed fine so I reassembled the air box went to start it again and it was still racing. So I am baffled.

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
Not familiar with a Kohler generator but: My Onan never does go to idle. It has to rev to meet the load. Just a knee jerk evaluation here but: when your first start it, it will probably be under a load just supplying power to the converter which would be charging your batteries.
By idle down, has it always acted this way or is it something new that it has developed? Or is it a new generator experience to you?
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox