cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kohler generator racing

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a Kohler generator 5KCM21 generator that will start but won't idle down once started. The manual says it has an electronic governor so I can't see any springs like on a lawn mower. I can put my finger on it to move it and it will idle down. I have the operators manual but it does not address this problem. Can this be adjusted?
29 REPLIES 29

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing worst then not being 100% sure it's the expensive board. Glad it all worked out for you.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Finally got the genset fixed after some testing of the magnetic pickup up and stepper motor and they were good according to the tests that born to travel posted. I tried to find a test procedure for the control board but could not find one after talking to Kohler, parts for tech, and flight systems(which will rebuild controls boards). Flight systems sent me a service manual which was helpful. They rebuild Onan boards but not Kohler because they are potted. Ordered the board from Parts for Tech and it was $270 with shipping and came in 2 days. It was good to hear the genset running normally again. Thanks for all your help.

Born_To_Travel
Explorer
Explorer
Those control boards are expensive. But these guys are good so they know what they are talking about..

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I called parts tech again today and got a hold of of a tech named Dennis. He described the operation as born to travel did earlier He thought the mag pick up was not the problem thought it just would not start if it was bad. Because the steper motor was moving the the governor arm he thought that was good, which leaves the control board. When I took the cover off there were two control boards one in front of the other. Waiting for a call back to see which one.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Because you're on a trip I'll throw something out there, otherwise I wouldn't. I don't think this is it, but when an engine is lean it will sometime run fast. If you lightly mist some carb cleaner spray over the carb (no air filter) will that change the RPM's. Would be nice if it was so simple as a dirty air filter plus an out of adjustment carb.

Sorry about parts for tech, a few years back I had outstanding service from them.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
jplante4 wrote:
Gjac wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
Wait a minute. Maybe I'm missing something here, but why would you expect a generator to idle? It needs to run at 1800 RPM to generate 60 Hz of AC. If it were 'idling' it would be a problem.
I have used the generator for 10 years I know when the engine is racing it is not being governed to the proper rpm.

Then why did you say 'idle'? 1800 RPM is not 'idle'.

I think I'm going to stop replying to these "help me" threads.
. Maybe not the best wording on my part , it is not being governed I have no way of knowing the rpm, no tach, I just know it is running at max rpm(racing).

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gjac wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
Wait a minute. Maybe I'm missing something here, but why would you expect a generator to idle? It needs to run at 1800 RPM to generate 60 Hz of AC. If it were 'idling' it would be a problem.
I have used the generator for 10 years I know when the engine is racing it is not being governed to the proper rpm.

Then why did you say 'idle'? 1800 RPM is not 'idle'.

I think I'm going to stop replying to these "help me" threads.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
John&Joey wrote:
When I had my Kohler, parts for techs were a big help.
I called them two days ago and left a message about my problem but have not heard back from them yet. I am in Yellowstone now and the cell service is spotty.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
When I had my Kohler, parts for techs were a big help.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
dup post

Born_To_Travel
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, you will need to remove the shroud.. There are three parts that make the running-idle circuit on your gen.. !-Magnetic pickup-sensor... This converts mechanical motion into a electrical signal.. 2 electronic governor board that interprets this signal, and 3 Actuator that converts electrical signal to mechanical motion that open and closes the throttle and adjusts speed... This probably is a oversimplification, but it is basically how it works... Of those three parts I would go with the magnetic pickup first..

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I scraped some rust off the fly wheel where the mag pickup is but that did nothing. The shroud has to come off to get to it and I don't have a long 5/16 wrench to get to the back two bolts. Will call tomorrow.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Born To Travel wrote:
The speed sensor measures the rpm at the flywheel and is mounted on a bracket at the flywheel.. If you remove it you must reset the air gap between the flywheel and the sensor.. If you go to the tech article I posted go to where it says magnetic pickup.. That is the sensor.. If you can get to it you may be able to clean it by spraying it with brake cleaner...
My internet speed is slow here, and missed your post. I think I remember seeing it when I changed my coil. Getting the shroud off was the most difficult part.

Born_To_Travel
Explorer
Explorer
The speed sensor measures the rpm at the flywheel and is mounted on a bracket at the flywheel.. If you remove it you must reset the air gap between the flywheel and the sensor.. If you go to the tech article I posted go to where it says magnetic pickup.. That is the sensor.. If you can get to it you may be able to clean it by spraying it with brake cleaner...