cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

(Lack of) Service must be the same everywhere (UPDATE)

workhardplayha1
Explorer
Explorer
Ok I will try to make a long story short and this is more venting than anything.
I bought my RV about 2 1/2 years ago and I have come to the conclusion the only way to insure quality work is to do it myself. The unit was bought across the state which is over a 3 hour drive to have work done there.
A little over a year ago I got a recall notice from Fleetwood to have the steps inspected for a potential for structural damage. Not wanting to drive across the state and leave my unit there for weeks I found a Fleetwood dealer about a hour away. I contacted them but they said they were too busy to look at it and unless I bought the unit there they couldn't look at it for several months (blow off #1). I called back "several months" later when I got my second notice of recall and again they said they couldn't look at (blow off #2) but they were going to open a new dealership that was actually only 15 minutes from my home.
I called the service department at the new facility once they were open and was told the next appointment wasnโ€™t for 5 weeks. I booked the appointment and gave the guy all the info from the recall but had a feeling he wasnโ€™t taking notes and the trip would be a total waste of time.
Well my hunch was correct. I showed up for the appointment.
I said โ€œI am here to have the recall inspectionโ€
He replied โ€œwhat recall is thatโ€?
โ€œThe step recall from Fleetwoodโ€ I said. โ€œI gave you all the information when I scheduled the appointment.โ€
โ€œWell, I guess whoever took the appointment didnโ€™t write down any information.โ€ He said, โ€œdo you know who you talked to?โ€
โ€œYes, youโ€ I replied.
โ€œWell, I canโ€™t find any recall.โ€ โ€œMaybe it was for your old unitโ€. (blow off # 3).
I then did a quick search on my phone and found the recall that didnโ€™t exist and gave him the information again.
He said, โ€œI donโ€™t know what needs to be done I will have to call Fleetwood to get more information.โ€ (blow off#4)
I have called him back twice and both times I he says he still more information. They keep asking if I bought the unit from them. DW and I did stop in and looked around and actually found a unit we liked and are thinking of upgrading but with their customer (no)service I donโ€™t think I will be purchasing from them.
Rant over.
31 REPLIES 31

workhardplayha1
Explorer
Explorer
Post Update
I just called the dealer back. The service advisor "is no longer with us". I am awaiting a call back.

MarkieBob
Explorer
Explorer
kalynzoo wrote:
It is indeed better to do it yourself, in my case, seldom do I meet my own expectations of perfection; but that is another story. Often I am either not physically able to do it myself, or I just don't want to, I want to have fun with my family, hobbies, and travel. I too have not in 30 plus years found a shop I can return to without complaint. I did find a mobile RV technician who does repairs on both the RV side and the power plant side of the motorhome. I treasure this contact as I would a friend. Since he is a self employed businessman he understands customer relations, time management, and communication of schedule and needs. Hope you can find such a quality repair and upkeep service in your neck of the woods.
Happy Trails.

That's exactly what I've done. JR's RV repair in Sedro-Woolley is just such a place. Excellent work, stands up for any concerns, and reasonable.
2011 Holiday Rambler Vacationer Class A
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara toad.
2006 Ford F350 PSD 6.0 4x4
1990 18' Seaswirl boat

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear about that Service Department wasting your time. If you decide to upgrade IMHO, I would stay clear of them due to there Poor Customer Service!

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
It is indeed better to do it yourself, in my case, seldom do I meet my own expectations of perfection; but that is another story. Often I am either not physically able to do it myself, or I just don't want to, I want to have fun with my family, hobbies, and travel. I too have not in 30 plus years found a shop I can return to without complaint. I did find a mobile RV technician who does repairs on both the RV side and the power plant side of the motorhome. I treasure this contact as I would a friend. Since he is a self employed businessman he understands customer relations, time management, and communication of schedule and needs. Hope you can find such a quality repair and upkeep service in your neck of the woods.
Happy Trails.

teamrope
Explorer
Explorer
MarkieBob wrote:
teamrope wrote:
pigman1 wrote:
lfeather wrote:
"... I have come to the conclusion the only way to insure quality work is to do it myself."

Amen...
Yep, or sit there and watch them work every step of the way. We know a VERY FEW that I trust and those that I do allow me to watch my work being done. Have you been to the Tiffin Factory or service facility? We spent 3 weeks on the production floor watching our rig being built. On top of, inside, along side, etc., 8-10 hours a day. Service is the same. It can be done if they're proud of their GOOD service.

Does that Fresno dealer have a new dealership in Fife? If so I think I know who you are talking about.... And you couldn't pay me enough to ever take my coach back to them for anything.

If you're talking about my post--yep--right on--they're new and I'm staying away!!!!!!!!!!

Good call.

MarkieBob
Explorer
Explorer
teamrope wrote:
pigman1 wrote:
lfeather wrote:
"... I have come to the conclusion the only way to insure quality work is to do it myself."

Amen...
Yep, or sit there and watch them work every step of the way. We know a VERY FEW that I trust and those that I do allow me to watch my work being done. Have you been to the Tiffin Factory or service facility? We spent 3 weeks on the production floor watching our rig being built. On top of, inside, along side, etc., 8-10 hours a day. Service is the same. It can be done if they're proud of their GOOD service.

Does that Fresno dealer have a new dealership in Fife? If so I think I know who you are talking about.... And you couldn't pay me enough to ever take my coach back to them for anything.

If you're talking about my post--yep--right on--they're new and I'm staying away!!!!!!!!!!
1990 18' Seaswirl boat

teamrope
Explorer
Explorer
pigman1 wrote:
lfeather wrote:

Amen...

workhardplayha1
Explorer
Explorer
soren wrote:
I would find a local metal fabricator, and have them take a look. For a lot less than you spend on time, fuel and stress, you will end up with a set of steps you can walk an elephant up.

My experience has been that middle of the road dealers tend to be outliers. Dealer service seems to really good, or really bad. High pressure sales stores, previously solid shops bought out by corporate chains, new multi-million dollar showplace locations, etc..... generally not a place where I expect competent service at fair prices. Family owned places that have been there for a few decades, shops that specialize in repairs and have a full waiting room, and can't squeeze another customer's rig on the lot..... that's where I have typically been treated well.

Would love to do this but can't get any info on what the problem is, like i stated earlier I could fix it myself if I knew what to look for.

soren
Explorer
Explorer
I would find a local metal fabricator, and have them take a look. For a lot less than you spend on time, fuel and stress, you will end up with a set of steps you can walk an elephant up.

My experience has been that middle of the road dealers tend to be outliers. Dealer service seems to really good, or really bad. High pressure sales stores, previously solid shops bought out by corporate chains, new multi-million dollar showplace locations, etc..... generally not a place where I expect competent service at fair prices. Family owned places that have been there for a few decades, shops that specialize in repairs and have a full waiting room, and can't squeeze another customer's rig on the lot..... that's where I have typically been treated well.

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
I had warranty work done on my (private party purchased) Newmar by a Dealer in Denver and they did great work on time!
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
I thought the OP had a recall issue, not a repair issue!

"Manufacturers voluntarily initiate many of these recalls, while others are either influenced by NHTSA investigations or ordered by NHTSA via the courts. If a safety defect is discovered, the manufacturer must notify NHTSA, as well as vehicle or equipment owners, dealers, and distributors. The manufacturer is then required to remedy the problem at no charge to the owner. NHTSA is responsible for monitoring the manufacturerโ€™s corrective action to ensure successful completion of the recall campaign."

You have a recall issue that is being ignored, or put off, by a dealer or manufacturer, it's time to make some noise!!! You have the power of the government behind you.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
Too much negativity. Some times you just need to pay to fix the problem and move on. No different than another tank of gas. Its part of the ownership responsibility.

pops

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
lfeather wrote:

Amen...
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

MarkieBob
Explorer
Explorer
Been der dun dat. I was nervous buying my mh in quartzite. I was right. BAD dealer in Fresno California. I had to have Poulsbo rv in Everett fix again and they were excellent. The local dealer brushed me off. So I guess just finding a good place is luck so stick with them even tho it's a longer drive!
1990 18' Seaswirl boat