cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leaking inner dual tire, need help finding leak

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
A few years ago, I purchased and had installed a set of Borg Dually valve replacement valve stems. These valve stem replacements have been discussed on here several times, and everyone that has them (including me, for the most part) have been very happy with them. They make it 100 times easier to check, top off all the tires, and eliminate the risk of leaks like can happen with valve extensions.

I did have an issue with the valve stem on one inner dual tire leaking the day after the new valve stems were installed. I took it back to the tire place that installed the stems, they took it off and found the O-ring for the valve stem had not been installed properly, was crushed and leaking. They corrected that (replace O-ring), re-mounted tire. Problem solved - was basically a bad installation issue, not the fault of the valve stems at all (I hope!)

..Fast forward a few years up to now, I seem to be having a problem with one of the inner dual tires leaking air again. Noticed this several weeks ago when checking the tires, the passenger side inner dually tire is losing about 10 psi every week or so. Last week, I took it to the ONLY tire place close to here with facilities to handle large rigs like this (same place that installed the valve stems a few years ago). They took the tire off, sprayed it over and over with soap water, looked over entire tire several times. Also sprayed and looked close at the (very long) valve stem. I looked with them as well, and there was ZERO evidence of any leaks anywhere (no bubbles). They also grabbed the long valve stem, moved it around some while watching for leaks at the base. There were none.

Fortunately, they didn't charge me anything. They just mounted the tire back on and sent me on my way, told me to bring it back if it still leaks.

Well, sure enough, its still losing air - since Saturday, it has lost 8 pounds. I realize that air pressures drop some when air gets colder, and it has been cold. However, I don't believe thats the cause here. I've checked the other tires as well, and none of the other tires have dropped anywhere near this much pressure.

I'm not sure at this point, if I have another valve stem leaking, or a nail or something in the tire causing it to leak. Can find no evidence of either, unfortunately.

Sooo, now, I'm not sure what to do next. Hesitant to take it back to same place again, as I'm afraid they're going to be less than helpful, since they already checked the tire once so thoroughly and found no leaks. Would like to take it to a place I know is very, very good at finding, fixing tire leaks (Tire Kingdom), but their parking lot is tiny, and sloped enough there is no way I can take the MH there. I've found in general that most tire places want nothing to do with rigs like this, unless they are set up to handle large trucks.

I may try to jack up the MH, take the tire off, and take just that tire to a few places to have them look for leaks. That'd be best, I think, but I don't have a jack capable of lifting it (yet, been 'shopping' for such). Could use the leveling jacks, but absolutely hate that idea. I have an air compressor and impact wrench I use for the other vehicles, but not sure if it will get the lugs off on the MH, anyway. They are 150 ft-lbs by Ford's spec, but there's no telling how much torque it'll take to get them off.

Anyone have any ideas on what else I might do or ask a tire place to do, to find where, why this tire keeps leaking? DW just told me to go buy a new tire, but without even knowing if its the tire, valve stem, or even possibly the rim causing the issue, that doesn't seem like a very wise thing to do, haha. ๐Ÿ™‚

Has anyone that uses Dually Valve stems, ever had a leaking issue like this? I really, really don't want to think that the dually valve stems are the culprit here, but not sure what else to think..
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")
33 REPLIES 33

Adirondacker
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering if you ever tried to remove and reseat the inner spring-loaded pin from inside the valve stem.

Sometimes a little dirt or gum gets wedged in there while filling up the tires. By using a valve stem tool, you can unscrew the inner workings of the valve stem, view it, resecure it tightly, and refill it.

It has happened to me a few times on different car and bicycle tires. A three dollar valve stem tool saved me several times... You simply insert it into the stem and unscrew the spring loaded pin valve mechanism. Clean it up and re install it..

Any of the autoparts chains or Walmart will have them.

Edit: here is a Video Clip for the tool.
John
1999 Coleman Bayside Pop Up
2007 Chevy Suburban
2002 Ford F250 XLT SuperCab 4x4 with 7.3 PSD

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take it to a truck tire shop - that is a common size for them to work with.

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tinyandthegang wrote:
Spray your tire with Windex or similar if there is a leak it will make bubbles.

Hehe, one tire shop already tried that, used up about 2 gallons of soap water, trying to find the leak on the outside of the tire. As I noted initially in this thread, they found nothing.

Will
Will and Cheryl

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
garry1p wrote:
Same problem many years ago really slow leak.

Finally after messing with it over a period of weeks removed tire from rim and there was the tip of a screw you could only find from the inside. Never did make bubbles even submerged.

Tech found it running his hand around inside the tire until he felt the sharp point only then could you see it.

Thanks for the advice, you're actually the 2nd person thats mentioned a slow leak, that was caused by something in the tire that could only be found from the inside. Definitely, on Monday, when I take it to a tire shop, will have them dismount the tire and look for anything sticking through on the inside.

Will
Will and Cheryl

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
Same problem many years ago really slow leak.

Finally after messing with it over a period of weeks removed tire from rim and there was the tip of a screw you could only find from the inside. Never did make bubbles even submerged.

Tech found it running his hand around inside the tire until he felt the sharp point only then could you see it.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

Tinyandthegang
Explorer
Explorer
Spray your tire with Windex or similar if there is a leak it will make bubbles.

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Update: Took the tire off today, managed to wrestle it into the trunk of the car, and tried taking it to a few tire shops. Pretty much struck out - Every place I went, said they did not have the tools to work with 19.5" tires; even if they could find the leak, they could not fix it, as they couldn't dismount or mount the tire from the rim. I thought that being just 19.5" tires, most tire shops could work with them, as this size is commonly found on dually pickups (right?). Apparently not, only truck tire shops. And of course, the two truck tire places here in town, were closed by the time I got there. Sooo, MH will stay up on a jack, tire will stay in the car's trunk, and Monday I'll try again (no tire place will be open tomorrow).

On another note: This was the first time I got brave and tried to take off the MH tires myself. It really is not as hard to work with these tires as I was lead to believe by some folks on here. Lug bolts came off pretty easily with a good size wrench and breaker bar. Picked up a 8 ton bottle jack from Harbor Freight, that handled lifting it pretty easily. Also picked up a 150 ft-lb torque wrench that I'll use to get the lug nuts back on with the proper torque. Really, all I need is the bottle jack, torque wrench, 13/16" socket, and the breaker bar. Most of which are tools many people would already have, anyway.

Only tough part was lifting the tire up into the trunk, but that was/is doable as well.

Guess thats one good thing about 19.5" tires on a gasser, they're much easier to handle. ๐Ÿ™‚
Will and Cheryl

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
slickest1 wrote:
I would have the tire dismounted and checked inside for a nail or such. Sometimes they are not visible from the out side.

Totally agree. Had a very similar problem with a tire on my Wrangler. It would loose enough air over a couple of weeks to trigger the TPMS. I took it off, submerged it and never could find a leak. Continued driving with it for a few months until it finally got to the point where it wouldn't hold air overnite. This time when it was submerged there was a very small leak detected in the tread. The tire shop removed it from the rim and found a screwdriver bit that had migrated thru the tread all the way to the inside.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
I didn't mean to remove the valves stems permanently, just long enough to verify that the stem isn't the problem.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would ask them to tank test the tire/wheel/valve assembly at the normal pressure you run and it leaks at. Inflating over normal max can hide a bead or valve stem to rim leak by seating the offending area, or cause the tire to seal around a small puncture object, maybe. 8 psi in a day is a really slow leak - may be a 2 coffee detection time...

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
I would have the tire dismounted and checked inside for a nail or such. Sometimes they are not visible from the out side.
1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40 ft.
Dennis and Marcie and Pup the Jack Russell

Bikeboy57
Explorer
Explorer
Edit, sorry
Richard and Rhonda
1999 Newell
Subaru Outback toad

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have had tires slowly leak, Slowly leak, and try though we might (And this included tanking it) we could not find the leak (This was on a car by the way)

Finally, it just stopped leaking.

My best guess, and I stress Guess is a bead leak that was sensitive to pressure on the tred, it only leaked when the right spot was down. and finally sealed.

Tire stores HATE SLIMR Green stuff you put in after you let the air out and before you air back up) and if you use any kind of TPMS forget it, But there are several sealsers that actually work.

Never tried 'em on big tire though, just cars and smaller.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
A 6 ton bottle jack will lift one corner of your rig.
So will the installed jacks.
Some heavy duty jackstands from harbor freight will guarantee it stays up there.

Submerging it is a good idea, though still hard to find a slow leak that way.

I'd have the tire dismounted from the rim, replace the valve stem, and remount it.

Do you have a TPMS?
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
When you have an annoying leak like this, you really need to submerge the tire and wheel to check for both leaks in the tire and for a crack in the rim. Go to Walmart and buy one of the cheap plastic sandbox/pools. Fill your water tank and then take it back to the store that last checked your tire. Explain that you are still having the issue. Tell them you brought your own pool to check for a leak and that you'll fill it with your own water.

Fill the pool in an out of the way place and then pull your coach up to a bay and have them remove the tire/rim. Now try looking for leaks with it in the pool. Make sure you check the rim for air bubbles (cracks).

On a side note...when someone does a service like they did earlier for you, I always make sure I tip the employee, at least $5.00, if they don't charge me. It makes for a good relationship later on.

If you don't want to do that, go to Harbor Freight and buy a cheap 5 ton jack and the same pool and check the tire at your house, and at your leisure.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab