cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for 16" rims

regis101
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings. Not opposed to buying 16.5's for our 73 Dodge 20'er but with all the hullabaloo between scarcity and whether or not a radial should be installed on these non safety bead rims, I find myself scouring da 'net looking for 16's.

I bookmarked two sites that carry 16's for the Ford since it is the same spec as what I need. Finding the second gen (?) Dodge 16's is harder.

Then, I stumble across numerous trailer part sites that carry steel Dual wheels that also match my spec. Especially with the 5/8 lug hole. This one of them.

So... can I ?

http://www.fayettetrailersales.com/product-p/130306.htm

Maybe the bead design is different or maybe they are non safety beaded. Dunno

This eTrailer link shows the rim with the safety bead, I'm thinking.

http://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Wheels/Taskmaster/TTW660865SDX2C.html
Peace. ~RL
12 REPLIES 12

regis101
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the heads up. Reminds me of a 72 Satellite I had back in the day. Left handed threads tripped me up at first.

Just looked at the 73 Kodiak. Clearly stamped on the ends of the rear lug studs on both sides is an R.

I browsed the Town Faire Tire site. Wasn't able to find a Dually set up. But the site is a nice one.
I will probably ask the local tire store, Wheel Works, about rims. They list the Firestone Transforce 8.75r16.5 LT's. Maybe they came dial me in with 16's with tires if I provide enough correct changeover info. As earlier stated, offset will be my key thing , then hub vs lug centric.

I'm on a mission and will succeed. keep the help coming though. Yinz are great.

Lil update. Hit a few google search sites. I've been chasing Chicknnhead around da net. Sorry.
If I can narrow it down to finding late 80- mid 90 Dodge dually's I should be all good. I will know better what to look for when I remove mine to see if they're coined and/or how they center along with offset.
Peace. ~RL

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look carefully at the driver side lug studs/nuts. Our 1971 one-ton Dodge Van had LH threads on the driver side. Our 1984 E350 Ford had LH on the driver side rear duals only. Driver front and both ends on passenger side were RH. The 1983 and earlier wheels on duallies were coined. 1984 and up were hub piloted and newer 16" wheels would replace those 16.5's.

Anyway, just for the boneyard run, take off a front wheel. Your two-ton equipment will support one corner of the front end easily.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

regis101
Explorer
Explorer
yes yes. Wheel vs rim. Moot point to some depending upon what part of the US one is from.

I was able to crack loose the lug nuts on the pass side rear. The RV came with a lug wrench and 3' bar. Did a few shots of PB Blaster for a couple days prior to each side rear.

I have to think rethink of the tools at hand to jack this thing up. As it is, I have two of the 2 ton floor jacks and four of the , most likely, 2 ton jack stands. I have access to 6 ton jack stands if needed.
Safety first.
Peace. ~RL

kenwautoone
Explorer
Explorer
Shouldn't u be looking for the whole wheel,not just the rim?

Ing46ram
Explorer
Explorer
I changed the 16.5 inch rims with 16 inch rims at Town Fair Tire,
Seven new rims and tires came to $2232.00 balanced and installed.

regis101
Explorer
Explorer
All good replies. I did try the search function. I did read a few pages on the 600+ page , "how many of us out there..." thread.
I did get a reply from one of the trailer part vendors. I won't mention name(s) for liability issues but this is a copy paste reply to an email.
* That is a good question and I believe the only difference would be that this rim is specifically made for trailer use .
Trailer rims do not have to follow as strict of standards that a vehicle rim does.I have had people use them on trucks but
a lot of times when you go to balance them you will notice it will take more weights than a truck rim. In short trailer rims are
not as picky as truck but normally they have as good of weight rating or even better. *

Plus, when looking at specific truck wheel vendors, the , albeit generic, picture of the rim looks just like the trailer company pic's.

I'm cornfused.

I am however going to remove the rims this weekend on one side for a looksie. I am headed out to the boneyard this weekend after I remove my rims.

I also have to learn the verbiage , i.e. coined, etc.

And then, Say I do find Ford rims knowing that the center hole is the same as the dodge, I might be in trouble is the Ford uses 9/16 lug studs vs the dodge 5/8.
Blah blah.
Peace. ~RL

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
^^^Owner's Group^^^

We have a long thread dedicated to Dodge-Based RV's. Might be something there.

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are several good wheel companies that might be able to help. The problem is that you need to measure your wheels to be sure you find the right part.
So, you need to find the
Hub diameter
Bolt size, type, circle and count
Rim width
Rim offset

These can be measured.
Better yet find someone in an owner's group that knows what you need.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kicking Myself!

In the parking lot at Yaquina Head Light a few years ago, sat a Dodge based C and I noticed it had 16" wheels. I hoped to talk with the owner but the rig was gone when I got back from my climbing tour of the Light.

So, somehow, it got done. I did not look to see if the Hub Piloting was done right.

This Site is run by an OP on this forum and there's 16.5" tire information. Sorry, no rim interchange, but it does discuss OFFSET. Please be sure you understand it. Offset is not the space between the mounted tires. Offset is built into the rim and the proper offset on a pair of rims creates the correct space between the tires. Read the 16.5" page carefully,

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC wrote:
Craigslist or your local junkyard should have the rims that you need.

It really does not matter if you have a Ford rim or Dodge rim, if they are both the same size?

Fred.

Center hole is not the same. Dodge has smaller hubs, so on a newer flat-flange wheels, it matters a lot since the lug nuts do not center the wheel.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Craigslist or your local junkyard should have the rims that you need.

It really does not matter if you have a Ford rim or Dodge rim, if they are both the same size?

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
call etrailer and ask if rated for use as a truck and not a trailer wheel. Add says it is for trailer use. I have dealt with these guys before and they are pretty straight in helping.