cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

lost power to refrigerator

pink303
Explorer
Explorer
We lost power for a few minutes in the RV park during a storm and when power came back on we had absolutely no power to our Norcold Refrigerator. We have checked all coach fuses and they are all good. Has anyone had any experience with this?
Sherry Barbour
Holiday Rambler Ambassador 37.5 PBD
Lovingly maintained by my husband Bruce
9 REPLIES 9

pink303
Explorer
Explorer
THANK YOU EVERYONE! Bruce went out this morning and tried the magnet reset trick and it worked! Thank you for all your suggestions
Sherry Barbour
Holiday Rambler Ambassador 37.5 PBD
Lovingly maintained by my husband Bruce

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
After you have done all the above, if still no luck, check for a fuse on the circuit board. On ours (1201 LRIM) all the wires to the board have to be removed before you can take the circuit board cover off!

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
GFI is my first look see also.

Second is open converter and shut off each and every breaker and then turn each one back on.

I've seen it too many times where the breakers LOOK all on, but actually they have not tripped all the way but enough to interrupt power. Left this way they will actually start an electrical wire fire. Don't ask me how I know that.:R

Go on line and look for your make fridge. Copy and print out the trouble shoot page.

My fridge had 4 different breakers inside it, all hidden from view. You should check them too. Good luck.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know what model Norcold you have, but we had a similar failure during recent thunderstorm with our older model 6282 Norcold fridge. I knew the 12-volt side was out when the auto feature did not switch to LP as it should have with just a 110-volt loss. The 12-volt fuse panel was all good, so I pulled the cover off the power control board on the back of the fridge as described above. A quick meter check found that a 3 amp "Buss" type glass fuse had popped on the 12-volt side. Once I replaced it from my spares kit, we were back in business. The temps only went up a few degrees while it was out, so there was no loss of any food.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Gottahaveit
Sherry sounds like you got some great advice. If you still have problems let me know since our friend Dwayne is a certified RV mobile mechanic. Hope to see you guys in Q. Let me know if you need some help. Kathie
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
After resetting your breakers and/or GFCIs, see if you have power to the fridge outlet. If you don't have a meter, remove the outside panel, unplug the fridge and plug in a lamp or fan to ensure you have power to that outlet. If you do then you might have to reset the board to your fridge. Assuming you have a 1200 series, here's what you do:
1. Turn fridge OFF.
2. Remove outside panel to access the back of the fridge.
3. Locate the black box just to the left of center.
4. There should be two wires on the bottom of that box, a black wire, about 14 ga and a white one. The black one may have an 18 ga wire attached to it. The black wire is your 12V wire, the white one is a ground. Using a pair of needle nose pliers, carefully remove the BLACK wire. Leave this wire disconnected for 30 seconds then plug it back in.
5. Turn the fridge back on and see if it works.

If it works, you're good, if not, see the following:

1. Turn fridge OFF.
2. Make note of all wires attached to the aforementioned black box. Note colors and locations--write it down!
3. Remove all the wires. Remember that black wire is 12V hot, so wrap it with a piece of electrical tape.
4. Remove four small screws holding the cover on the black box.
5. Remove black box cover.
6. Inside the black box are TWO FUSES. One is for 12V power and the other 120V. Check to ensure both fuses are good. Replace as necessary. Make sure you use the exact fuse for replacement. This is important.
7. Reassemble in the reverse order you disassembled.
8. Turn fridge back on and see if it works...

Hope this helps....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

haydoracin
Explorer
Explorer
Look for and reset any GFCI outlets in the Kitchen and bathroom. They are usually on the same circuit with other outlets. I spent several hours one day trouble shooting no power to fridge and a friend of mine stopped by and went in the bathroom and noticed a GFCI tripped. Problem solved.
Hayden & Jan
1994 Southwind 33L P-Chassis 454
2006 Chevrolet HHR
OTY (Mini Dachsund)

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
It is easier with a volt meter. You need to check for 12V at you circuit board. With little information I am assuming that you are without display and this is where you are getting your "no power" assessment. Those circuit boards are susceptible to failure after a power surge. But do not hold me to that! I am not there with my fluke 88 and jumpers! It just takes more troubleshooting on your end and feedback to the experience on this venue.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
pink303 wrote:
We lost power for a few minutes in the RV park during a storm and when power came back on we had absolutely no power to our Norcold Refrigerator. We have checked all coach fuses and they are all good. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Reset all 120vac circuit breakers by turning them off and back on. Check behind the fridge for fuses as well. Check for 12vdc voltage back there, also, as the fridge needs this to operate on electric or gas. Check for 120vac back there, once you've reset all breakers.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)