cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lots of rust on 2008 country coach affinity chassis

doublev
Explorer
Explorer
I have lots of rust on my country coach. If it was one area i would just deal with it myself but it is all over.. the coach looks great but when you open the bay doors you can see the rust on the bottom (underside) of the chassis. of course, if you poke your head under the coach it is pretty bad too.

What is the best way to tackle this professionally? do i go to a paint shop or how do i find someone to fix this? I dont want to spend a fortunate but i would be happy to spend a couple thousand dollars if it takes care of this problem.

Can anyone recommend a shop in las vegas or recommend how i go about finding someone to do this? is it realistic to fix this for $2000 or $3000 or am i looking at a nightmare in terms of expense?
10 REPLIES 10

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
yes it neutralizes the rust and stops/slows the oxidization. I get that I was laughing at the turns it back to metal comment

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
gutfelt wrote:
It's an acid that chemically changes the rust back into metal.

now that I gotta see to believe lol

Phosphoric acid--it changes the rust not back into pure metal, but into another chemical compound (Ferric phosphate) that is relatively inert:

Fe2O3 + 2H3PO4 --> 2FePO4 + 3H2O

This basic process has been around and used for quite a long time.

It certainly is possible to strip the oxygen from rust and end up with elemental iron, but it generally involves a good amount of heat and some sort of a reducing environment (generally by introducing carbon in some form, though aluminum is used in the thermite reaction). This is what smelting amounts to, after all.

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
It's an acid that chemically changes the rust back into metal.

now that I gotta see to believe lol

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Phosphoric Acid is the active ingredient in all the rust preventing products. Lowes carries it in the paint department in gallons as metal prep.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

GREGORYJ
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of salt is used in the winter in Canada & northern states. I've had Rust Check applied to a number of vehicles I've owned over the past 30 years. It stops rust if started and penetrates into places not otherwise accessible. I've heard the city in this area applies it to the trucks that spreads the salt on the roads & highways. I'm not sure if they are in your area, but you can find info on them here:
http://www.rustcheck.com/
Ellen & Greg
08 National Dolphin DL-35Ci, Kelderman Air Ride, Rear Trac Bar
Workhorse W22, RoadMaster Rear Sway Bar, Towing 08 Smart Car

rickcarlene
Explorer
Explorer
There is a product out ther called rust mort (google it) ihave used this in the past if rust is not structual no holes ex.this stuff works pretty good.you remove loose rust with a wire brush.you can even power wash the rust off.Buy it by the gallon and apply with a spray bottle the rust will turn black when things dry its ready for paint.

good luck
Rick

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Most home improvement stores carry several rust abatement products in the paint departments. I use Jasco from Home Depot, comes in a quart bottle as a liquid. Put it in a spray bottle and go to town on the rust underneath. It's an acid that chemically changes the rust back into metal. Turns it black in most cases. Stabilizes it so you can paint it if you want, I never bothered. I've used it on two RVs now over 13 years of full timing. One had big flakes of rust...chipped those off, than sprayed. A friend used a foam brush instead and her undercarriage looks better than mine. I'm jealous.

But the point is that the metal underneath is generally so thick, it would take a century for it to rust though in most areas. The acid treatment slows it to an imperceptible crawl.

My '02 Journey was actually in better shape then my '94 Bounder rust wise, and I treated them the same with the Jasco, and then never worried about it again, BUT, I don't drive in the east with their salted roads, either.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
X2 on fluid film BUT first I'd treat it with Phosphoric acid to kill the rust.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

BluegrassBill
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like it could be a flood victim ?
Bill & Kathy Francis
95 Itasca Sunrise 29RQ,P32 454 Chevy, Banks,ECM chip.Safe-T-Plus, Bilsteins, Super Steer Bell Crank, Stewart Stage 1 Waterpump, Severe Duty Fan Clutch, OilGuard Bypass Filter, Coolant Filter. Rear Tracbar. 1-5/8" Front Swaybar.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
If it is not structural I would skip the high buck option. More then likely the results will only be good for a short time, then rust will once again appear.

I would use the following and do the job myself:

Fluid Film Clicky

The rust will turn a nice black and not be as noticeable. In addition it will have better coverage because it creeps.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.