cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Low beams headlights not working

Mortdd
Explorer
Explorer
What happens when your RV place can't find the issue after hours of looking? High beams work, low beams do not. The high/low beam switch has been checked, the lights have been checked by a direct connect and they work etc.
D and K
Just the 2 of us now! Unless the grandkids come along.
Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Life Time Good Sam Member
27 REPLIES 27

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
When did headlights start using fuses? I thought circuit breakers were used to eliminate the total darkness of a blown fuse.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Some a double pole double throw relays. In the relaxed mode it is low beam, when energized it is high beam.
Donfrump:
Headlight fuses in the under-hood fuse panel?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

tderonne
Explorer
Explorer
Daytime Running Lights don't work either I assume? If that's the case, it pretty much has to be the low beam fuses. Odd, but not impossible.
Tim

2004 Winnebago Adventurer 31Y
Ford chassis

donfrump
Explorer
Explorer
Iam not sure on a F53 if the relay is used on low beam? its used on high beam

also there may be two low beam 10 amp fuses I would doubt both would blow at the same time

The headlamp switch on the F-Super Duty Class A
Motor Home Chassis (F53) utilizes one 20 amp fuse for
the headlamp high beam circuit and two 10 amp fuses
for low beam.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would try operating the dimmer switch and listen for the relay. Dimmer switch part of the turn signal lever?
Is your rig on a Ford chassis?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same issue , I have not traced it down yet but I believe it is a bad switch or relay.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

donfrump
Explorer
Explorer
Ava wrote:
I am betting the high beam switch is worn or faulty

well its the "low beams" that are out and he says High beams work, low beams do not. switch checks ok

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
I am betting the high beam switch is worn or faulty

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Probably a bad connection. I would unplug and plug in all connectors and see if that helps.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
:h

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Ford F53 chassis? bad relay!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

donfrump
Explorer
Explorer
Mortdd wrote:
What happens when your RV place can't find the issue after hours of looking? High beams work, low beams do not. The high/low beam switch has been checked, the lights have been checked by a direct connect and they work etc.

your at the wrong repair shop. Both low beams out and bulbs are good it should be very easy to trace that out very easy
the first thing once the bulbs or seal beams are confirmed good is check the Fuses!! lots of A motor homes are fused then if there good pull the main switch and check for power in/power out and and so on

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
What chassis?

Are the lights "fed" through a relay, or does all the current go through the head light switch?
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/