cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LP gas leak

AikenRacer2
Explorer
Explorer
2012 Thor Tuscany 42' motorhome. Long story short, the tank level gauge that is screwed into the side of the tank is leaking around the threads when I had the tank filled. I tried to tighten but did no good. Seems like I need to empty the tank to repair. Tank now used down to about half. The leak is barely enough now to bubble the soap solution. So my plan is to empty the tank fully, unscrew the gauge, retape the threads, etc. I want to pressure check with air before putting in gas. I would also like to replace the fill and vent hoses with the system empty. Hoses look good but they are 11 years old. I am open for ideas on this situation. Not real sure how to get the tank 100% empty.
5 REPLIES 5

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RectorSeal-1-75-oz-5-Pipe-Thread-Sealant-25790/100144191?source=shopping...

Use this for the threads. I have used it for 40 years and NEVER had any type leak. It also will seal threads on Hydraulic fittings that use up to 3500 psi. One you replace and air pressure the tank, make sure you bleed off all the air to purge the tank. Doug

QCMan
Nomad III
Nomad III
Flare fittings should NEVER use any sealant. If it is leaking there is dirt or damage at one or both sides of the flare. The whole idea of a flare fitting is to make a metal to metal seal. The nut that tightens it down has no sealing ability, it is just a way to apply pressure to the flare to make the seal.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

larry_cad
Explorer II
Explorer II
YELLOW THREAD SEAL TAPE meets all gas company standards for gas lines of ALL types including butane and propane. It's important to use the right thread seal tape for gas and the yellow tape is the only safe choice.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

hokieAV8R
Explorer
Explorer
Somewhat related. I recently installed a new LP crossover valve. I was told NOT to use Teflon sealing tape on the male inverted flare fittings. But, I smell leaking gas. Should I use sealing steps on those fittings?

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest teflon pipe dope made for propane and natural gas.
Neither tape or pipe dope is a sealer. It's designed to be a lubricant to allow NPT fittings to screw together more easily.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson