cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Might trade in Brake Buddy

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
I have the classic Brake Buddy that I have used for the past 10 years while travelling 70K+ miles. The unit has served me well helping me stop many times.

On my last two trips I noticed a few times the Brake Buddy did not actuate as is did in the past. I'm thinking there might be a problem.

Yesterday I powered up the unit and then while holding it I tipped it forward to see if the inertia switch in the unit would activate. The switch did activate and the arm on the unit traveled as it usually does when installed in the car.

Today I called Brake Buddy and spoke with Matt in Tech Support. Nice fella. He suggested I can test the Brake Buddy by powering it up while placed on the car floor on the passenger side. Then find an open parking lot or field where it would be safe to make a "hard stop" and observe if the Brake Buddy activates. I plan to do this test later today.

Matt from Brake Buddy also said I can send my unit in for reconditioning. He said the most expensive part to replace would be the circuit board at $299 plus $$40 labor plus $20 shipping. These costs seemed fair. Also, there is a trade in program. I could give them my old unit and they would provide a new Classic Brake Buddy for $650. Retail on he new Brake Buddy would be $1500 retail. Again, this seems like a fair offer.

So...I'm asking for your comments and feedback with any of the stuff I mentioned above. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this posting and any replies you offer.
21 REPLIES 21

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I'm the OP and the Brake Buddy I own is the old "classic tan colored plastic model. I do not believe there is anything proportional about this unit. It is either off or on and has served me well for over 70,000 miles.

As far as I'm concerned proportional vs non proportional is not the issue....I just want a dependable braking system that will activate when I desire it. JMHO

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Daveinet wrote:
There are 2 different models of Brake Buddies. The old type is either on or off, basically a braking assist, which I have good reason to believe is what the OP has. The Vantage is proportional based on inertia.

mine is the old original metal square box and it works "proportional" as I described it.
bumpy

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
I just got mine back from Kansas where they completely overhauled it. They even replaced the outer housing because on transit it was broken. I believe I paid around $400. But they replaced everything including the compressor. Hope it lasts me another ten years.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
if the RV will not slow down when brakes are applied, I agree. but anytime the RV is braked, depending on how sensitive my Brake Buddy is set, it will also apply the brakes unless somehow inertia is negated.
the degree to which the toad brakes are applied is proportional to how severe the RV braking is. looks like a pig, smells like a pig, oinks like a pig, etc.
bumpy
There are 2 different models of Brake Buddies. The old type is either on or off, basically a braking assist, which I have good reason to believe is what the OP has. The Vantage is proportional based on inertia.
IRV2

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
willald wrote:
Reason being, there are some scenarios (for example, slick roads) where engaging brakes on the towing vehicle may not necessarily engage the towed vehicle brakes at all.

if the RV will not slow down when brakes are applied, I agree. but anytime the RV is braked, depending on how sensitive my Brake Buddy is set, it will also apply the brakes unless somehow inertia is negated.
the degree to which the toad brakes are applied is proportional to how severe the RV braking is. looks like a pig, smells like a pig, oinks like a pig, etc.
bumpy

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Heisenberg wrote:
For those who have multiple toads the RVI2 is an excellent choice. You are able to monitor and tweek from the coach via great feedback and you can purchase tire sensors to monitor your toad. My understanding is that the inventor of Brake Buddy is the brains behind the RVI2. It is very small and easy to handle and setup. I go between a 2012 Equinox and a 2014 Wrangler.

Yes, the RVi's small size makes it a bit easier to take in and out, easier than something like Brake Buddy. I considered it, like its small size.

However, I still prefer a system like Readybrake, where there is NOTHING to ever put in or take out when hitching up or unhitching.

Readybrake is really good with multiple toads, also, as for just $60 you can purchase another cable to install in a 2nd vehicle. Once you get the cable lengths adjusted correctly on both (or however many) towed vehicles you have, then you dont have to adjust or tweak ANYTHING when going between towing multiple towed vehicles. Just hook whichever vehicle up and go, and brakes work fine. Nothing to ever have to put in or take out, ever.

Will
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
For those who have multiple toads the RVI2 is an excellent choice. You are able to monitor and tweek from the coach via great feedback and you can purchase tire sensors to monitor your toad. My understanding is that the inventor of Brake Buddy is the brains behind the RVI2. It is very small and easy to handle and setup. I go between a 2012 Equinox and a 2014 Wrangler.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Daveinet: I've almost always agreed with everything you've said in various posts, and definitely respect your experience with this subject as well as many others. However, strictly in terms of what is and is not 'proportional', I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you here.

A truly proportional system is just that - Braking system in towed vehicle and towing vehicle are physically linked together so that braking in one will always physically force the brakes in the other to engage a similar (proportional) amount.

Systems that sense deceleration to engage towed vehicle brakes do NOT fit this bill and are not truly proportional (Brake Buddy, Blue Ox Patriot, RViBrake, Unified tow brake, SMI duo and many, many others). Reason being, there are some scenarios (for example, slick roads) where engaging brakes on the towing vehicle may not necessarily engage the towed vehicle brakes at all. The brake systems are not technically linked together between the two.

Surge type systems like the Readybrake also do not fit the bill as truly proportional, as here again, there are some scenarios where engaging brakes on the towing vehicle may not necessarily engage the towed vehicle brakes. Like for example, in very, very gentle light braking, where not enough 'push' is felt by the Readybrake actuator to engage towed vehicle brakes at all.

Granted, these systems can be set up so they seem to work proportionally most of the time, and many of them (especially Readybrake) work great. However, in the true, pure sense of what proportional braking is...These systems are NOT proportional. Like Bumpy implied, don't drink that 'koolaid', as it has fake, artifical flavoring, haha. ๐Ÿ™‚

All that said...I *DO* still agree with you, Dave, that all things considered ($$, maintenance, simplicity, performance, etc), the Readybrake is about as good as it gets (and only system I'll own). That is, unless you own a DP that has full air brakes, money is no object and you don't mind spending a small fortune to put in a system like M&G or Air Force One.

Will
Will and Cheryl

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Daveinet wrote:
. The method for achieving proportionality may be different, but it is absolutely proportional.

sure it is. Make mine Grape.
my brake buddy braked a little when I gave the brakes a little push, grabbed harder when I slammed on the MHs brakes. I guess it is also proportional.
bumpy

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
willald wrote:
Truth is, by the true definition of 'proportional', almost NONE of the toad braking systems out there truly are proportional. ...

Anyway, getting back to what what Daveinet originally said about Readybrake: Minus the 'proportional' word, I agree 110% with him. Readybrake IMO is sooo much better a solution than any of the 'brake in a box' systems.
Ready Brake is proportional and is the only closed loop system. The rate of braking is proportional to the stopping rate of the motorhome. Meaning they are matched. I can fully attest to this, as when I originally set up the counter spring, I towed my 4600 LBS Grand Cherokee with my 3100 LBS older Cherokee. I set the counter spring for a completely neutral impact under any and all braking conditions. Regardless of if I braked hard or soft, the toad braking rate was completely proportional to the braking rate of my light weight Jeep. If a 3100 lbs vehicle can stop a 4600 LBS vehicle with no difference in peddle effort at any braking rate, one can confidently conclude that the toad braking rate is directly proportional to the braking rate of the tow vehicle. The method for achieving proportionality may be different, but it is absolutely proportional.
IRV2

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Daveinet wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
Daveinet wrote:
Or you can just throw the thing away and get a proportional system that is going to work much better for about 450 bucks. That is the cost of the basic Ready Brake.

back to the proportional Kool Aid.
bumpy
:h

Bump is referring to the fact that the word 'proportional' is abused a lot by various supplemental brake manufacturers, and folks tend to drink that proportional 'kool aid' right up.

Truth is, by the true definition of 'proportional', almost NONE of the toad braking systems out there truly are proportional. Only ones that are would be ones that work directly off the coach's air brakes. The M&G system and Air Force One are the only two I know of that fit this bill. Nice systems, but very expensive, and require you to have a MH that has full air brakes (obscenely expensive, haha).

Anyway, getting back to what what Daveinet originally said about Readybrake: Minus the 'proportional' word, I agree 110% with him. Readybrake IMO is sooo much better a solution than any of the 'brake in a box' systems.
Will and Cheryl

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
Today I placed the Brake Buddy in the car on the passenger side, plugged into the cigarette light and then took a ride. The purpose of this ride was to determine if the inertia switch was working.

In a vacant lot I made several hard stops and the inertia switch activated and the am on the Brake Buddy extended. I then adjusted the Brake Buddy sensitivity and made more hard stops. All worked well.

So now I'll wait till our next trip to see if the Brake Buddy works when the car is in tow. That trip will not take place till Spring since we are no in Florida for the winter.

Thanks again to everyone for your help & comments.

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
Daveinet wrote:
Or you can just throw the thing away and get a proportional system that is going to work much better for about 450 bucks. That is the cost of the basic Ready Brake.

back to the proportional Kool Aid.
bumpy
:h
IRV2

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
Why do anything? Sounds like you're happy with the unit and it is working correctly.

Brake Buddy's either work or they don't. Really is no 'kinda' working for them.

D'OH, that's too simple an answer. ๐Ÿ™‚
I assume the test run worked for the OP.
bumpy