cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Monoco Knight

Sargehut234
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I are looking at a 2012 Monoco Knight, it is 42" with cummins eng. 7k 3 slid. lookin for average price range.
7 REPLIES 7

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Aren't all the problematic Ford Superduty diesels (F250/F350, etc.) made by Navistar?? I'm new to looking around at DP but in tow vehicles the Ford diesels are avoided by many.

gswcgi
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2003 Safari built by Monaco. I dealt with Navistar at the Monaco factory in Coburg, OR for service. After that experience I wouldn't go near anything that Navistar had to do with it!! They were totally tone deaf to the RV world and RV owners. Their trucks may be great but they never understood the RV market and in my opinion didn't care to learn.
'03 Safari, DP, 36" Nissan 4X4 toad

Trap
Explorer
Explorer
steveownby wrote:
DSDP Don wrote:
Sarge....Can't help you on the price, but I would double check what engine is in it. In 2012, Monaco was owned by Navistar and they were using Navistar engines. They're a good engine, but I would personally not buy a coach with one in it. They are an orphan when it comes to the type of engines available in RV's.

Sarge is correct. According to the Monaco brochure, the '12 Knight had a Navistar MF10 engine. So did the '11 Knight.

It's true that Monaco was in flux during that time period. I would eyeball the engine or call Monaco tech support with the coach number and ask.

If it's a Cummins engine, be aware that in was built in '09 or earlier. It will have a DPF system but not a DEF system. The MF10 engine will have a DPF but the Navistar engines of that period were sold by paying EPA a fine for each engine sold because they never passed the EPA '10 requirements.

The MaxxForce 7 & 10 engines used in the motorhomes we're EPA compliant. Where Navistar got into trouble was with the larger engines. They abandoned the idea of bringing out the MF 15 and had mega problems with the MF 13 which never was compliant. Until the went to the SCR Technology.

steveownby
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
Sarge....Can't help you on the price, but I would double check what engine is in it. In 2012, Monaco was owned by Navistar and they were using Navistar engines. They're a good engine, but I would personally not buy a coach with one in it. They are an orphan when it comes to the type of engines available in RV's.

Sarge is correct. According to the Monaco brochure, the '12 Knight had a Navistar MF10 engine. So did the '11 Knight.

It's true that Monaco was in flux during that time period. I would eyeball the engine or call Monaco tech support with the coach number and ask.

If it's a Cummins engine, be aware that in was built in '09 or earlier. It will have a DPF system but not a DEF system. The MF10 engine will have a DPF but the Navistar engines of that period were sold by paying EPA a fine for each engine sold because they never passed the EPA '10 requirements.
Steve Ownby
2003 Monaco Signature

Full-time since 2007

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
Just before the acquisition by Allied, Navistar supposedly starting using Cummins again, after the fiasco with the DEF issue on their MAXXFORCE...the only way is to check the engine itself or if you have to call Monaco with the coach #...they will tell you exactly what is is in it..the coach # is on a plaque near the entry door..it is not the VIN..
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

Fishinghat
Explorer II
Explorer II
As DSDP Don suggested, it may not have the Cummins but a Navistar. Navistar is owned by International Harvester, but the engines were of a new design and reliability could be an issue.

As for price, look it up on the NADA web site for some basic info. You could check PPL's web site for sold units to see what similar coaches have sold for recently.
Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab