cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motor home side yard cover

Big_Jimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Asking if anyone has recommendations on side-yard RV cover. We have a 2011 tiffin allegro, approx. 33’LX8’2”WX12’8”H. Side-yard size 55’LX13’W. Needs to be cost efficient as the city told me if neighbors complain it has to come down. I know this is a long shot but also I know there are a lot of sharp people on the forum Thanks
12 REPLIES 12

Big_Jimmy
Explorer
Explorer
All great ideas, our motorhome is 12.8" tall and I am a 76 year old senior, we have had covers before on our smaller RV's but now to tall for mes. also taller than the house so the electronic awing won't work. Maybe best to store without cover?

w4phj
Explorer
Explorer
Might want to consider an electric retractable awing.
2021 Winnebago View 24J
2021 Ram pick up
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ham Radio Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
If your concern is sun, and you don't want anything permanent, just buy a cover.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
In other words, he would be constructing it without a building permit. As long as the neighbors don't complain the city will not say anything. However on the first complaint he would get slapped with a tear down order and possible daily fine till it came down.

Big_Jimmy
Explorer
Explorer
City said, not able to be permitted, unable to police any projects, that’s why the neighbors can complain it’s a eye sore.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
garyemunson wrote:
Sounds to me that you are in an HOA area. There is no other way "neighbors" could make it come down otherwise if the city OK'ed it. More details on your situation?

Agree. If the city approves construction then a complaining neighbor can't make you take it down.

It's either legal or it's not.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
Big Jimmy wrote:
here is more information: live in Northern California - No HOA's,want to protect from Sun. no need to be solid, sun protection is he main thing I want to protect from

Then a cover?

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Big_Jimmy
Explorer
Explorer
here is more information: live in Northern California - No HOA's,want to protect from Sun. no need to be solid, sun protection is he main thing I want to protect from

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds to me that you are in an HOA area. There is no other way "neighbors" could make it come down otherwise if the city OK'ed it. More details on your situation?

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Big Jimmy wrote:
the city told me if neighbors complain it has to come down. Thanks

I think that's your answer.

Agreed. If a neighbor can complain, sooner or later one will.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Big Jimmy wrote:
the city told me if neighbors complain it has to come down. Thanks

I think that's your answer.

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi Big Jimmy,

Not sure how much I can help, but it would good to know a few things like...

What region of the country are you in (i.e. expected weather)?

Why do you want to cover it? Protect it from sun, snow, blowing debris?

Are you thinking about a soft cover stretched over the RV or a roofed structure to park it under?

Are you subject to any HOA restrictions?

The fact that you were told "...if neighbors complain it has to come down" would be a cause for alarm for me. Any structure which will be solid enough to withstand wind and possibly snow loads, will probably be pretty substantial and therefore expensive. Putting up something cheap which could collapse on top of your RV could possibly cause more damage than whatever you're trying to protect it from.

If the building inspector gives you a permit to construct it, would the neighbors be able to do anything at that point? I would think you could only get the permit for structures which are in accordance with local building regulations, so how could the neighbors protest at that point?

I'm not sure that helps you any, but good luck. 🙂

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.