cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mounted LP Tanks

lakebum
Explorer
Explorer
Our Class A has a LP tank mounted behind a compartment door as I assume most do. I was wondering how long they are good for before the need to be tested or replaced?

It was full when we purchased it and is only 1/2 empty now, but I am concerned of the expense to inspect or replace. I have had a couple of 20# cylinders rejected for refill before.
Ken & Janice
South Hill, Virginia
8 REPLIES 8

hipower
Explorer
Explorer
Tanks and cylinders are two different things. Tanks are built to ASME codes and do not require periodic reinspections. Any competent refiller will do a visual inspection prior to filling and deny service to anything that is questionable. Usually leaky valves, fittings or excessive rust are cause for rejection. All items that are not cause for removal from service, simply things that need repaired , replaced or corrected.

Cylinders are built to a DOT code and require requalification at 12 years from the date of manufacture (PA is 10 years due to antiquated rules that have not been updated) and if as is the usual visual requalification, every five years thereafter. Depending on the refiller/dealer you may be charged a fee for the requalification or not. Depending on the condition of your cylinder and the cost to requalify it sometimes it is economically smart to simply buy a new cylinder. Especially when we are talking about 20# cylinders. 30# and larger the decision is a little harder since the cylinder cost is higher. Aluminum cylinders rarely have issues that require replacement and their cost is significantly higher when doing so.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
lakebum wrote:
CT_WANDERER wrote:
You built in tanks do not have to be tested like your 203 tank did. You have ASME tank They go under different rules than the DOT tank.

That is good news, I noticed there is a date stamp that is close to 10 years old, so I was getting nervous what I was going to run into when trying to fill it.
Your tank is near new at 10 years old!

1BryNelson
Explorer
Explorer
This is propane, an explosive gas. Have your tank inspected by a propane dealer. Then take into consideration what they tell you to do with "your individual tank". It could save your's and others lives. Mine went thru with a control valve replacement where they showed me a small leak.
Bry Nelson and a yet to be discovered MoHo momma. '99 Pace Arrow Vision 37ft F53 chassis (plugs tightened) Allure flooring, 15k BTU front a/c , 6-6 volt batts with 1120 watts of solar Magnum inverter Remote BMK Trace C40 2005 Ford Ranger "Toad on a pad".

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The refiller is supposed to give an ASME tank a visual inspection and refuse to fill it if there's obvious damage or severe rust pitting. Rarely happens though...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
My recently sold conversion had 44 years old tank.
It was 120 gallons and I think at the time RV tanks did not exist, so they fit smaller household tank.
No inspections and no conversion to new valves required.

lakebum
Explorer
Explorer
CT_WANDERER wrote:
You built in tanks do not have to be tested like your 203 tank did. You have ASME tank They go under different rules than the DOT tank.

That is good news, I noticed there is a date stamp that is close to 10 years old, so I was getting nervous what I was going to run into when trying to fill it.
Ken & Janice
South Hill, Virginia

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
My 1990 rig with a permanently mounted tank does NOT need to be inspected and neither should yours
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

CT_WANDERER
Explorer
Explorer