cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My RV seriously leans to the right...

alliemac9
Explorer
Explorer
My Class C always seems to have leaned to the right when looking from the rear (i.e. it leans to the curb/passenger's side). For some reason, it looks a little farther tilted lately.

We've always passed it off as just the weight distribution - primarily, the water tank (50 gal) is under the bed on the curb side. Here's a list of our driver/passenger side potentially weighty items (not considering furniture/cabinetry since that lines the entire coach):

Driver Side
Generator
Propane tank

Passenger Side
Water tank (50 gal)
Water heater (6 gal)
Exterior storage bays
Fridge

Would you expect a lean given the above? If you want to see the floor plan, there's an image in my profile. Is this a situation to be concerned about? The RV drives/handles great. I've thought about installing air bags - would this be a good application for them?

Guess it's time to get it to a scale that can weigh all four corners?
2007 Coachmen Freelander 2430DB + 2 dogs
23 REPLIES 23

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have the radio tuned to Rush Limbaugh?
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Calisdad
Explorer
Explorer
If after weighing it the sides weigh close to the same I'd say your springs have 'wear'. Have them resprung or replaced.

Does it sway when travelling? I installed a rear sway bar and the handling is greatly improved.

I have no experience with airbags in an rv but when I had them in my truck to help with the camper load I hated the ride. I couldn't wait to deflate them.

alliemac9
Explorer
Explorer
Good point - forgot about the waste tanks! Black is 28 gal on driver side rear, and gray (28 gal) is somewhat centered in the rear, but more on the driver's side.

We have no slides.

Probably need to do some inspection underneath...
2007 Coachmen Freelander 2430DB + 2 dogs

the_trippers
Explorer
Explorer
My coach came shimmed from the factory on the drivers side to compensate for when the two drivers side slides are extended. Do you have slides?
2018 Tiffin Allegro 32SA

Sfla2
Explorer
Explorer
might think abt airbags on rear helps me to get right
98 Coachmen "C" Santara Model FL (Front Lounge) 30.4
Ford V 10 Super Duty (same as E 450)

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Getting weighed is the best idea, but also: is it safe to assume that you've carefully inspected the underside leaf springs/other suspension components? The fact that this seems to be new and perhaps even getting worse may indicate something other than a simple weight distribution problem.

On that subject:

Unless it's a very small one, I'd expect the propane tank (combined with generator) to offset the water weight, or nearly so. And you don't mention where the waste tanks are- same side or opposite?
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, spacer and shim are the same beast.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
Mine did that so I added about a 1" spacer between the axle and the spring. You can measure from the wheel well to the ground on both sides to get an idea of how much lean you have. If it's much more than an inch, a spacer might not be the best solution.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, weight the individual wheel positions.

Be aware that you can add shims and/or a leaf to the heavy side to level the coach.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/