cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mysterious Electrical Issue

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for speculation/opinions on what might be going on here....

It all started when the HW heater blew its fuse. I determined the cause and fixed it. Not having any spare fuses, I pulled a fuse from a spot marked "SPARE" in the panel. I suspected it wasn't really a spare because there was a red wire attached to the lug that disappeared into the wall. But, removing the fuse didn't really seem to affect anything - at least at first.

So I'm replacing my toilet. Another long, boring story about a project that should take 15 minutes but is dragging on into days. But I digress. While working in the RV I noticed that the lights were flickering and eventually went out. Upon closer inspection, the lights that were "out" were very dimly lit - they were getting a tiny bit of power from somewhere. The other light circuit - powering the other half of the RV - was fine. I unplugged the shore power and plugged it back in and everything was fine again.

Well, it did it again this morning so I thought about what might be different. That fuse. I yanked the fuse from the WH spot and touched it to the "SPARE" spot. All the lights turned back on. But get this - I didn't install the fuse - just touched the contacts momentarily. WTH? Because it was obvious that this fuse is of great importance to the balance of my lighting universe, I reinstalled it. But the question is - what is it powering that has this effect on just one lighting circuit?

Ideas?
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)
19 REPLIES 19

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks!

The two circuits, since my modification, are now separate. When I first started on this debacle one "LIGHTS" circuit was getting some juice from the "SPARE" circuit. I don't know why, but apparently one of the two "LIGHTS" circuits was split in the past by using the "SPARE" slot via the red wire and custom conduit. I suspect that whatever happened recently is related to whatever the original problem was.

I now have 3 separate "LIGHTS" circuits. Hopefully I won't have to mess with it anymore.

nor-easter
Explorer
Explorer
And THANK YOU for letting every one know what was going on.

To many times we see problem solved, but not how.

Thanks Again.
Capt. Chet

03 Journey DL 39.5 w/330 CAT and bells & whistles!!!!
Toad is a 04 Malibu
Full timing
Out Door World Elite/ Thousand Trails/ Pass Port America
FMCA f10045d

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Congrats on sticking to it and locating and fixing the problem. Not how you wanted to spend your morning but if you add up all of the time you spent with the problem, and multiply that by $100/hour, and you will see what you saved by doing it yourself. That will make you feel a little better.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Finally all put back together. I can't explain the wacky behavior (like how the lights would work just by touching the fuse but not installing it) but it's functioning properly now. I'm thinking the fuse spot for the red wire was indeed a spare at one point in time. There's a suspicious surface-mounted conduit that runs along the shower ceiling and houses the red wire. First, the red wire isn't consistent with the rest of the rig's black/white wiring scheme. Second, all other wires run through the ceiling. The wire exits the conduit up into the ceiling and into the roof vent. This is the wire that was feeding the shorted out circuit. I added another wire to the conduit to bypass the shorted wire.

I'm thinking there has been trouble in the past with this circuit. Counting the "spare" fuse, there are 2 fuses feeding the circuit. There's a second one labeled "LIGHTS" that when removed causes the lights to go out. So who knows? With that dead short on one path, it was somehow back feeding enough juice to dimly light up the lights.

Not how I wanted to spend my morning but I'm glad it's fixed.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
I did see that thanks. The wire was still shorted to ground with the fan disconnected. I isolated that one wire and verified it was grounded with my multimeter.

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
garry1p wrote:
A guess here but take a look at the fan switch and see if you have 2 wires connected to the "motor side" of the switch or an extra wire at the motor.

What I'm thinking is the problem light is getting it's ground through the fan motor. That could explain the motor running at random as it is also getting 6V through the problem light when that switch is "on"

A test would be to turn on the problem light and check the fan to see if it running at half speed or even slower.

The logical explanation is the bulb is getting it's ground from an unknown source. Having said that many times electrical circuits do not behave in a logical manner.

Whatever the problem let us know when you get it worked out.

Not sure if you saw this but you might want to check for the above.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Found it.

This is the electrical box in the shower. The black wire circled (yes, that's my attempt at a circle and an arrow) is shorted to ground somewhere. You can see it goes into the ceiling framework and vanishes. I figured that logically the next stop in the circuit is the light in the shower. It is. I took the light out and disconnected the wiring. No more short. So the short is between the box and the first light in the circuit. I ran my own red wire (arrow) to the shower light. I now have all lights and fans working!

I got lucky, sort of, in that the existing red wire runs through an accessible conduit right by the light. I can run my new wire in there to bypass the shorted wire.

It's still disconcerting that that wire shorted out on its own somewhere. I would have been happier if it was a mistake I had made in wiring the fans.

And the moral of the story is don't always trust the labels on the fuse box. It was NOT a spare fuse, and the circuit marked "LIGHTS" isn't.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Okay - I'm getting warmer.

I went to replace the blown fuse and POW! dead short. Scared the bejeezus out of me. In disconnecting the shower fan I saw a red wire! Sure enough, it's the "mystery" red wire. The vent fan box is a distribution point. I unhooked the red wire from the distribution box and installed the fuse. No short - so it's good between the panel and the distribution point. The red wire is tied together with 2 big black wires. I unhooked one black wire. POW! Still a dead short. I unhooked the OTHER black wire and the fuse is good. So - whatever that one black wire is feeding has a dead short somewhere.

Now that I have half the circuit hooked up, I can see what is working and what isn't. The bedroom lights came back on but not the shower, hall or bathroom lights. They're all pretty much parallel to each other and I'm sure fed by the wire in question. Oh yeah - the other thing that doesn't work is the bathroom fan. Guess who replaced that switch last week?

I'm headed out to pull that one apart now.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
There are a lot of circuit tracing units on the market, some use the power of the circuit some are self powered, some are used to trace signal or voltage some are to check continuity. They run in price from just a few dollars to like my substructure pipe and cable locator, several thousands. Harbor Freight has cheap imitation models while online you'll find some really expensive models. I have a mixture of both. Graingers(expensive) has some great professional models.

If you have any experience circuit tracing you're good to go, if not we'll help but my way usually is the long way and some guys on here know great shortcuts.

How about it fellas, got ideas for him in meters to use and how?
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Fleetwood99
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
Looking for speculation/opinions on what might be going on here....

Battery Negative(-) Loose, dirty, corrosion of a common wire that supplys that branch of Lights is my guess.
99 Fleetwood Vision 36Zulu V10 Gas F53 Chassis
Hyd Leveling man/keypad (Powergear)
Electric Slideouts (Powergear) x2
2005' 4020 Fadal 4Axis CNC Mill w/24Datc
Hendy 16x72" WWII Navy Lathe 1800RPM

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
A guess here but take a look at the fan switch and see if you have 2 wires connected to the "motor side" of the switch or an extra wire at the motor.

What I'm thinking is the problem light is getting it's ground through the fan motor. That could explain the motor running at random as it is also getting 6V through the problem light when that switch is "on"

A test would be to turn on the problem light and check the fan to see if it running at half speed or even slower.

The logical explanation is the bulb is getting it's ground from an unknown source. Having said that many times electrical circuits do not behave in a logical manner.

Whatever the problem let us know when you get it worked out.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

Lobstah
Explorer
Explorer
It seems like when you "touch" the fuse, you're setting/resetting a relay.

Jim
2005 Pace Arrow 36D
Very Understanding Wife
1 Boxer ๐Ÿ˜ž
3 Maine Coon cats

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
They make "circuit breakers" that can replace most 12 volt fuses that are great for trouble shooting. These are available at most auto parts stores. You can also use many hand held voltmeters to measure current/amps and attach it in the circuit, in place of the fuse, to see exactly how many amps are passing through that lighting circuit. Might help with the troubleshooting process.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
The plot thickens....

Went out there today and the mystery fuse is blown. No lights in the back. But that's not the circuit they're supposedly on.

The "spare" is hand-written on the box. I'm thinking it's not really a spare. But there are 2 circuits involved in illuminating those back lights for some reason.

I've had the rig since December of last year, plugged in pretty much continuously. Never had this problem. I'm thinking it's the shower fan. I recently replaced the motor and fan blade. But the fan blade spun the wrong way. I reversed polarity on the motor. But the switch is bad and runs at random. I'm thinking there's some resistance through the switch. Gonna clip the wires and see.

But I'm out of 20A fuses for now....