cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

NEW RV'R My rig batteries keep dying.

IrelandinSpirit
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone! I'm lost! Just bought the RV, redoing the interior so the RV is sitting in front of my house. My house batteries constantly die so of course my generator won't start. What am I doing or not doing, wrong? Am I supposed to be plugged in or....? I appreciate ANY suggestions!
Angie
32 REPLIES 32

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Glad you are working.

If you are going to trouble shoot 110v or 12v, again, you should get and learn how to use a voltmeter. You can trace the problem yourself. That is why I asked what was the output of your charger (converter). Isolate the problem.

MrWizard
nice to hear that you found the problem and fixed it
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

IrelandinSpirit
Explorer
Explorer
Okay kids, we got bush!!! Lol We put brand new batteries in and it still wasn't charching. The connection was broken somewhere. Found out it was a loose bolt on the solenoid! Yay!! Thanks to all that posted!! If I'm ever in your neck of the woods... drinks are on me!!

MrWizard
not suck 'all' the juice, takes less power to start the generator
than it does to start your car or rv engine

however, you need the converter or a portable battery charger working
like any modern engine, the spark plugs need electric power, your generator does NOT have an alternator to charge the batteries
that is done by the RV converter

if the batteries are NOT being charged, they will eventually end up too weak
as you have already found out

find the battery disconnect make sure it is in the ON position,
find the circuit breaker and/or control switch for the converter make sure that is in the on position
you MIGHT have an inverter/charger combo unit, the switchs will be labled 'inverter', it might have a 'remote' panel for on/off control could be anywhere in the living or kitchen area
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

IrelandinSpirit
Explorer
Explorer
Single *Since

IrelandinSpirit
Explorer
Explorer
Btw, single my house batteries have been dead naturally my generator is caput. When I put the fully charged batteries back in and try to start the generator is it gonna suck all the juice??

IrelandinSpirit
Explorer
Explorer
So I've been reading my Operators manual, it says NOT to use an extension cord on your shoreline cable but come on, that's done all the time right? So, we had a guy come out and take the batteries (house batteries, 2) to his house to put on the big charger. I guess when he brings them back, installs them, hopefully we can go from there. I feel like a total re-tread but hey, gotta learn somehow right? Thanks again everyone! Feeling the love on RV.net!!! ??

MrWizard
the converter should function find
from a 15/20amp outlet
as long a no other power items are turned on for electric
such as fridge or water heater

of course a long 14ga cheapie cord will cause voltage drop

power converters and electric heaters. do not like low voltage
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
IrelandinSpirit08 wrote:
So, the huge black electrical cable, the "shore" cable has an adapter on it so it can be plugged into an extension cord and plugged into my home.

Does anyone know if the charger will operate when plugged into typical outlet (note adapter)? I previously had an issue when plugged into a standard 15 amp outlet, the original power center would provide basically trickle charge. Only when on 20 amps or 30 amps would it provide full battery charging. (Yep, I replaced that antique)
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

IrelandinSpirit
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Wizard and executive thank you thank you thank you to both of you!!!

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
As a novice, here's what I would do. Since your batteries are already dead, disconnect just the NEGATIVE cable, that's the black one on each battery. Then hook up a decent, at least a $40 one not the cheapie, borrow one if necessary, to just one battery and let it charge completely. May take 24 hours to do so. Unhook the charger and put it on the other battery. Do not reattach the first battery's cable yet. Once both batteries are now fully charged, unhook the charger and reattach both negative cables. Trying to charge the batteries thru the coach will be difficult since you're using a 30amp to 15amp adapter. If you were, indeed, hooked up to 30amp service the coach could probably charge the batteries up but the way you have it wired I doubt it'll be able to do so. With the batteries fully charged, the on board charger should be able to keep up..it's difficult to troubleshoot without fully charged batteries.....good luck...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

MrWizard
the converter is stashed away under a cabinet someplace or in a storage bay
i think you found the monitor panel, see if you can find a switch or a (circuit breaker in the electric panel) that says converter
and make sure these items are ON

whomever sold this to you
should have given you a walk thru explaining all of this
it is very important
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

IrelandinSpirit
Explorer
Explorer
OMG! Thank you ALL for the feedback!! I was at a loss but y'all have definitely helped out. I don't run the furnace at all, I'm in Vegas so the weather is well, what it is. I don't think I was getting a charge at all even though I had it plugged in for over a week. Ok so I'm going to get real technical for a minute hope y'all can keep up but...?????? So, the huge black electrical cable, the "shore" cable has an adapter on it so it can be plugged into an extension cord and plugged into my home. Got that. Converter found up over the drivers seat is on but red light is on saying battery low. I have no idea if it is ACTUALLY charching. I'm going to check my manuels... Thanks for whomever sent the link to the brochure!!

MrWizard
Angie
dig out the books
study the electrical
check your circuits breakers and the RV control panel
make sure the charge-converter (power converter) is turned on
this is what charges your batteries, when the generator is running
OR
you are plugged into shore power (aka extension cord)

i have a feeling you have NOT actually been getting any charge into the batteries
also somewhere could be near the entry door. or on the dash
are some ROCKER switches labeled AUX and Main these are battery disconnect switches (not to be confused with AUX start which is on the dash)
make sure AUX is in the 'ON' position (AUX is the house batteries, Main is the chassis/engine battery) these are for when storing the motorhome to prevent battery drain) (On is active/hot/use, OFF is disconnect/store)
other wise you get no power from the batteries and they might not even charge, depending on the particular wiring arrangement

i think 'Yahoo groups' has a Winnebago owners group, good place to get info and tips
also winnie factory is very good repository of any info you might be missing
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s