cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to the RV world

1blessedmess
Explorer
Explorer
After many discussions we have decided to buy an RV. There are so many I have become very overwhelmed. If you could give any advice that would be great. Our must have list is a master bedroom, washer and dryer, and dedicated beds for at least 2 more but prefer 3. We have looked at the Newmar Canyon Star 3921 and the Thor Outlaw toy hauler. Decided against Thor due to no master. We thought we had decided on the Newmar but are now going in the direction of possible bunkhouses. We will be spending a lot of time in the next couple of years traveling and I don't want to have to make up couches and tables each day. There are so many options once we decided to open the door to bh instead of the toy haulers. Any advice you can give will help! We would like to stay in the price range of the Newmar/Thor, of coarse anything cheaper would be great! Thanks in advance!
6 REPLIES 6

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
What we did was not to choose a specific brand! We knew how much we wanted to spend or could easily afford to spend and stuck to that price. Next was floor plan that suited us! Then we went with colors engine and transmission. Then we chose 3 coaches that fit our budget wants and needs and researched them, then we bought! Good Luck

ds2659674
Explorer
Explorer
1blessedmess: My family and I had been looking for some time to replace our older Allegro we had custom made to sleep 10. We looked at several “bunkhouse” and “toyhaulers” for our new purchase… We ended up going with Newmar 3920 with rear queen beds that drop down from ceiling. We usually keep the back queen bunks made up as well as master queen bed. This gives comfortable sleeping for 6 without having to use the dinette (sleeps 1) or queen sleeper couch (sleeps 2). The 3920 can also be ordered with washer/dryer hookup in garage area. (We had ours ordered with this setup). The 3921 you mention in your post is very nice (we looked at one on 10/24/13). It is my understanding you cannot order the 3921 with washer/dryer prep due to weight issues or order queen sleeper sofa (just jackknife sofa due to space between sofa and dinette). We like the floorplan of the 3921 as the clearance between the dinette and bathroom door was a “show stopper” for us on the 3920 (we customer ordered our 3920 with 5 inch cutdown of dinette to allow for access to bathroom… unfortunately we had to go back to stock dinette configuration due to damage to wall associated with table mechanism, but that is another long, long story!!!). Newmar makes a quality coach and will make custom changes to meet your needs… One note of caution, make sure you get everything in writing, and make sure your Newmar dealer knows how the features work on the coach as there were some “issues” with our purchase (thus our desire to upgrade to the 2921). Private txt me or call me and I can provide more info on our experience with both the 3920 and 3921.

Sincerely,
David L. Schultz
DS2659674@msn.com
570-265-9674

1blessedmess
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! We are more than likely sticking with Newmar, but hoping to go see some soon! Once we get to explore a little more in person surely we can make a decision!

RudysWorld
Explorer
Explorer
Good Luck! Once you start looking at what is actually available close to you it may not be that overwhelming. We have a 2011 Georgetown 350 bunkhouse and are really enjoying it. With the bunkhouse you do give up some storage.
Rudy - 8 year old long haired dachshund
2011 Georgetown 350TS

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to "our life"!

Motorhomes rock. Something about watching the world flow through that huge windshield, plus the DW able to jump up and get me a fresh beverage anytime, plus the kids able to watch movies or whatever, and hit the head whenever the need strikes, well it all works for me.

A bunkhouse can work well, at the expense of privacy. We looked briefly, then decided we preferred some privacy. Our coach, with 2 jacknife sofas, is 30 seconds between sleeping for four and camping for four or more...

There are some pretty nice bunkhouse models out there, tho more gassers than DP's
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the Forum! I don't have enough experience with motor homes to help you, but good luck on your purchase and future travels.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)